Ecm tuning with boost by smith air shifter harness

horsinaround

Registered
Question for you guys. I like the idea of using the boost by smith air shifter harness/factory ecu for the kill. I actually ordered the harness among other things from him. For tuning I would need to find a tuner who can use ecu editor or the Woolrich software correct ? I am in Central Nebraska. There isn't any tuners around that I know of so I would most likely have to send me ecm off to be flashed. I reached out to Chris Moore and his software can't enable the ignition kill and would overwrite it if I enabled it with ecu editor. I do have a old mps kill box. I would prefer the ecu kill for simplicity but not sure if that's my best route to take. For you guys using the boost by smith air shifter harness what did you do for tuning ? You guys know of any tuners who work with ecu editor or the free Woolrich software ?
Thanks in advance.

Moore uses Woolich which only supports the ignition kill with an extra cost option. Nothing with Woolich is free. ECU Editor is free and can do this. Either way, the ECU kill is better than the kill box as it is one less box on the bike and you don't have to mess with wiring on all the coil wires. It also has the option of fuel and ignition kill so you don't get the backfire on shift.

Necessity is the mother of invention, right? Why not do it yourself?

When you say tuning, what do you mean?

I just glanced at the instructions and your ecu needs to be flashed with the ecu editor software. That would be to use the part of the software that enables the cut. How else would you check those boxes?

I don’t see anything that says you have to tune the engine (manipulate the fuel and ignition tables) but I could be completely wrong.

You may want to research more about ecu editor and how to use it.

3A2A1F79-6F7F-49FE-8361-763DC0C3ECA3.png

Necessity is the mother of invention, right? Why not do it yourself?

When you say tuning, what do you mean?

I just glanced at the instructions and your ecu needs to be flashed with the ecu editor software. That would be to use the part of the software that enables the cut. How else would you check those boxes?

I don’t see anything that says you have to tune the engine (manipulate the fuel and ignition tables) but I could be completely wrong.

You may want to research more about ecu editor and how to use it.

View attachment 1661817
By default, when flashing you are manipulating the entire map. Starting with the original or similar map would mean you aren’t making changes to fueling, ignition, or other parameters but you are overwriting them.

I went back and reread some on the woolich page that is linked off the ecu editor website. You are correct, there is no mention of the word free on there lol. I guess I just assumed where ecu editor was free that the software that was replacing it would be also. My mistake there. It does say you can download the Woolrich tuned software. You have to make a account and have had to of purchased from them before it says. No mention of the price of the software though.

The bike is just going to be a stock motor bike with a sidewinder and air box mod for this year. I would like to get it tuned. Meaning the fuel and ignition maps changed for the most power/performance. Dyno tuning would be best but like I said I don't think there is anyone around me to do it. Reading on the boost by smith page it says " If your ECU has been flashed with other software besides ECU Editor, it is likely locked and won’t be able to be flashed with ECU Editor until it has been returned to stock using the software/hardware that originally flashed and locked it".

So I believe I need to find someone who can flash my ecu but they have to use the ecu editor software or the Woolrich tuned software in order to use the ecm controlled ignition kill/air shifter harness ? Would that be correct ?

I went back and reread some on the woolich page that is linked off the ecu editor website. You are correct, there is no mention of the word free on there lol. I guess I just assumed where ecu editor was free that the software that was replacing it would be also. My mistake there. It does say you can download the Woolrich tuned software. You have to make a account and have had to of purchased from them before it says. No mention of the price of the software though.

The bike is just going to be a stock motor bike with a sidewinder and air box mod for this year. I would like to get it tuned. Meaning the fuel and ignition maps changed for the most power/performance. Dyno tuning would be best but like I said I don't think there is anyone around me to do it. Reading on the boost by smith page it says " If your ECU has been flashed with other software besides ECU Editor, it is likely locked and won’t be able to be flashed with ECU Editor until it has been returned to stock using the software/hardware that originally flashed and locked it".

So I believe I need to find someone who can flash my ecu but they have to use the ecu editor software or the Woolrich tuned software in order to use the ecm controlled ignition kill/air shifter harness ? Would that be correct ?
You mention air box mod, so that makes me think Gen1. I always assume Gen2 for some reason. If it is Gen1 some of my comments may not be valid.

Woolich will lock your ECU, so if it has been tuned with that it needs to be erased by Woolich before someone else can flash it with Woolich or with ECU Editor. These two software packages are capable of doing the shifter kill on Gen2 but it looks like it may not be available on Gen1 with Woolich.

MaxxECU for the win LOL :) Extremely overkill for what you need, but no restrictions, closed loop fueling control, 1000Hz logging, etc etc.
Definitely makes life easier. As a person progresses the hardware is already there. My last stock ECU bike had 5 boxes on it. ECU, Boost by smith autoshift, progressive controller, Woolich log box, and wideband controller. It worked great for what it was but these days stepping right up to an aftermarket ECU makes good sense.

You mention air box mod, so that makes me think Gen1. I always assume Gen2 for some reason. If it is Gen1 some of my comments may not be valid.

Woolich will lock your ECU, so if it has been tuned with that it needs to be erased by Woolich before someone else can flash it with Woolich or with ECU Editor. These two software packages are capable of doing the shifter kill on Gen2 but it looks like it may not be available on Gen1 with Woolich.
Yes sir, gen 1. I should have mentioned that in the first post. Woolrich not offering the kill on a gen 1 makes sense with Moore saying he couldn't do it.

Definitely makes life easier. As a person progresses the hardware is already there. My last stock ECU bike had 5 boxes on it. ECU, Boost by smith autoshift, progressive controller, Woolich log box, and wideband controller. It worked great for what it was but these days stepping right up to an aftermarket ECU makes good sense.
I have to admit it still bothers me sometimes how I was given a bunch of crap for buying a standalone right off the bat. Everything in one unit with zero add on boxes and a nice dash that’s the centerpiece. Well you can’t make everyone happy.

I’d also vote Maxx but obviously overkill just for an air shifter haha.

Last edited:

Generally the software from these companies is free. The woolich software is free but they charge you for the bin file definition and all of the hardware to flash your ecu.

I’d start by downloading the ECU Editor software and click around. Find the setting you’re looking for and just put eyes on it. Check out every screen available. If it freaks you out then it’s probably best to pay someone. There are likely a bunch of videos out there on how to use it. Read everything on their website and look at the software as you’re reading the manual.

Practice makes perfect so over a few days of looking at the software and reading the manual. It may not seem so daunting. It’s free to download so it’s not like you’d be out any money.

Back