EBC  HH Break Pads

shenoyp

Hayabusa Master Jedi
Donating Member
Registered
I took out Elenor for the first time today, after I installed the EBC HH pads and the HEL break liners!! The breaks are working really good... quite responsive!!

I here a small hissing sound when I pull in the front breaks... no loss of breaking performance, but just a small hiss when I first pull in the lever... Is this normal
rock.gif

People who have installed the EBC HH pads, have you gone through this
rock.gif

rock.gif

I took out Elenor for the first time today, after I installed the EBC HH pads and the HEL break liners!! The breaks are working really good... quite responsive!!

I here a small hissing sound when I pull in the front breaks... no loss of breaking performance, but just a small hiss when I first pull in the lever... Is this normal
rock.gif

rock.gif
Yes...the hissing sound is normal...and here's a few facts and why...

The callout "HH" stands for what is the highest level of "Friction" in the brakepad industry...as far as I know most if not all "HH" pads are "Sintered" (vulcanized metallic particle) rather than bi-metal organic (which btw wear faster and leave lotsa dust)...and as far as I know?..most if not all stock oem rotors are made of ductile iron...and some brake component manufacturers will not recomend use of their sintered brake pads with oem iron rotors but riders who desire more braking power/bite have been using them for years.

I used the EBC Sintered HH's on my '00 Kaw ZRX1100...way more bite and power than organic pads, last longer and no problems and...

Against corporate recomendations I also just mounted up a set of Ferodo SinterGrip ST pads (which are sintered HH's just like the EBC's) on my Busa as well...and again...more power, better bite and no problems.

The hissing sound your hear is the abrasive quality of the sintered metallic pads biting into your oem iron rotors...you will also notice that your front rotors may become slightly hazy and may even appear gauled but run your fingernail across it and it's not gauling...it's just the abrasive scoring of the rotor surface.

By comparison check out your rear rotor...and if you still have the stock pads in the rear caliper?...you'll notice that your rear rotor is very shiney...as the stock pads are "Organic"...and tend to "Glaze The Rotors" with time which causes youre braking power/quality to deteriorate...it also forces the rider to stay on the brakes longer which puts more heat into the fluid and lines via heat transfer from the pads through the calipers.

The "Hissing Is Fine"...and in the end results in more available braking power and for bonus points?...less heat or chance of glazing your pads and rotors.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|JINKSTER
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114789121 -->

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif
Did you put them on the rear too or is this just the front? The rear brakes on this Busa blows, I know most of the braking comes from the front like a car but I'd like a little stopping power from the rear as well.

rock.gif

I can live with a hiss to have increased stopping power.

The hissing sound your hear is the abrasive quality of the sintered metallic pads biting into your oem iron rotors...you will also notice that your front rotors may become slightly hazy and may even appear gauled but run your fingernail across it and it's not gauling...it's just the abrasive scoring of the rotor surface.[/QUOTE]

Will this cause accelerated wear and (eventual) failure of the rotor though? Or is this negligible? I'm curious, because upgrades to brakes are next (at LEAST stainless lines), and I want to make sure...

Toyz, you get about 85% braking power from the front on a busa the back won't get better even with brembo pads . they'll just lock up sooner.

Toyz, you get about 85% braking power from the front on a busa the back won't get better even with brembo pads . they'll just lock up sooner.
The rear will actually lock up?

I guess what I'm getting at is if my rear brakes are ok. The rear will slow me down and eventually stop. This is normal I guess?

The hissing sound your hear is the abrasive quality of the sintered metallic pads biting into your oem iron rotors...you will also notice that your front rotors may become slightly hazy and may even appear gauled but run your fingernail across it and it's not gauling...it's just the abrasive scoring of the rotor surface.

Will this cause accelerated wear and (eventual) failure of the rotor though?  Or is this negligible?  I'm curious, because upgrades to brakes are next (at LEAST stainless lines), and I want to make sure...[/QUOTE]
RNN...there's no "Free lunch" on brakes...if ya want more stopping power it's gonna cost ya more wear...so yes...the rotors will theoretically, but negligably, wear out sooner than they would with some crappy weak @$$ organic pads...but the upsides are...

a. Meanwhile you get to enjoy having the brakes from he11 and...

b. They'll never glaze your rotors like softer, less abrasive organic pads and...

c. Sintered pads will last much longer and...

d. Yeild less brake dust.

It's been my experience that organic pads last about 10,000 miles while sintered last about 20,000 miles...also...you can go through about 3-4 pairs of sintered pads before you'll need to look into new rotors....and 60,000-80,000 miles is one helluva lotta miles on sportbike rotors if in fact the sportbike is being ridden like a sportbike and not a shriners parade.

This thread has prompted me to email a letter to "Braketech"...(the official distributor for Ferodo/Federal Mogul)..describing to them the results I got after 500 hard mountain miles I put on my Hayabusa with their SinterGrip ST pads and stock oem iron rotors....claiming I see no problems and that I await their opinion as even they sell their own Axxis line of Aftermarket Rotors which are made of "Ductile Iron"...I await their response and...they haven't responded back yet...but i'm almost certain it's a "Liability Thing"...but since I wanna make certain I'm not steering you guys wrong here?...I'll be very interested to read their response.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

The rear will actually lock up?  

I guess what I'm getting at is if my rear brakes are ok.  The rear will slow me down and eventually stop.  This is normal I guess?
Stock brakes will lock the rear up easilly. The only advantage to better brakes on the rear is the feel. Important for racing...
rock.gif

Wondering if is was safe to use HH pads for my busa with EBC pro-lite Race rotors?

rock.gif

rock.gif
Yes...the hissing sound is normal...and here's a few facts and why...

The callout "HH" stands for what is the highest level of "Friction" in the brakepad industry...as far as I know most if not all "HH" pads are "Sintered" (vulcanized metallic particle) rather than bi-metal organic (which btw wear faster and leave lotsa dust)...and as far as I know?..most if not all stock oem rotors are made of ductile iron...and some brake component manufacturers will not recomend use of their sintered brake pads with oem iron rotors but riders who desire more braking power/bite have been using them for years.

I used the EBC Sintered HH's on my '00 Kaw ZRX1100...way more bite and power than organic pads, last longer and no problems and...

Against corporate recomendations I also just mounted up a set of Ferodo SinterGrip ST pads (which are sintered HH's just like the EBC's) on my Busa as well...and again...more power, better bite and no problems.

By comparison check out your rear rotor...and if you still have the stock pads in the rear caliper?...you'll notice that your rear rotor is very shiney...as the stock pads are "Organic"...and tend to "Glaze The Rotors" with time which causes youre braking power/quality to deteriorate...it also forces the rider to stay on the brakes longer which puts more heat into the fluid and lines via heat transfer from the pads through the calipers.

The "Hissing Is Fine"...and in the end results in more available braking power and for bonus points?...less heat or chance of glazing your pads and rotors.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
Thanks for the info bro
bowdown.gif
...I was bigining to get worried!!

...I wont be able to compare it with the rear rotor, as my calipers also have EBC HH pads!!
wink.gif

rock.gif

I've got stainless lines and EBC HH pads front and rear. No excessive lockup problems exist in the rear, i have alot better feel with the rear brake now.

Back