Ebay Spam

Getn off

Registered
I usually wake up, grab my ipad and surf for a few mins before my day begins.
Today I open up the org and find the one reason I do not frequent ebay...too much FN spam from one seller posting hundreds of the same post. I am not a patient person. Easier to X out and go to another site.
I have no beef with an online seller joining a forum and tactfully posting a listing or two every now and again, but this spam poop has to stop.
Is there an option to delete or not follow (sorry, I'm not so techie!) a member so my new post section isnt swapped with crap?
Troy

I was suprised also but I clicked them to get them out of new post section I don’t see a ton of spam here. Just remember if this site was lame no one would bother but it’s bad ass and has a large audience so I’m sure it’s part of the game.

If we were all paying to be members I think we could act like we’ll go somewhere better. But it’s free and I don’t know of any sites that are better than the org.

So thank you Captin for all you do!!

I don't know, kind of with the OP on this, I usually visit daily, click on new posts and then see what I've missed. Was annoying the other day logging on and seeing so many Ebay ads.

I nust checked the poster's name and skipped them.
I will not be going anywhere. Free sight and the knowledge gathered and shared here has literally been the difference between my successfully boosting and being SOL.

I nust checked the poster's name and skipped them.
I will not be going anywhere. Free sight and the knowledge gathered and shared here has literally been the difference between my successfully boosting and being SOL.
100% agree, won't be leaving anytime soon.

I was suprised also but I clicked them to get them out of new post section I don’t see a ton of spam here. Just remember if this site was lame no one would bother but it’s bad ass and has a large audience so I’m sure it’s part of the game.

If we were all paying to be members I think we could act like we’ll go somewhere better. But it’s free and I don’t know of any sites that are better than the org.

So thank you Captin for all you do!!
Completely agree! I've visited a couple other Busa related site's and bike sites in general, and I have to say imo that the design and operation of this site are head and shoulders above anything that I have found! Not to mention the folks that regularly post here are pretty legit with the information they post, unlike some of the squirrelly stuff I saw on other spots.

Just to be clear, I have not threatened, and have no plans to go anywhere else. This is hands down the best forum I have found period.
I am just venting about an issue that hopefully will not be here long term. I was also hoping someone might have an idea how to block a member so I can just ignor them.
Troy

Man, only been a day and I really miss RansomT! I say if you'll leave over a little spam you were never here in the first place. Capt can you add a door to the site so these sorts can not let it hit them in the arse on the way out?

So here is the dealio folks... The Busa has aged and even though Suzuki engineers have put ridiculous hours of R&D into the mighty bike over the years the color changes and new logo designs just aren't cutting it. Because there isn't anything to hype about with an 9 yr old bike anymore and other manufacturers have come on strong with features and options folks just don't come looking here anymore. There is a slew of social media options for consumers these days, Facebook, email, texting and the list goes on and on.

We have worked hard to maintain this site to keep it free of charge to the members and our vision was always to have corporate America keep the lights on for regular folks like you and me. The plan was a great symbiotic relationship where advertisers found new customers, hence sales, users had access to great people and free relevant content and I just had to work the tech side and an occasional brawl between some members in which I usually just had Mod Squad take care of it.

So what happens when one of the 3 variables start to go away? When membership and viewing of the site starts to slide because the bike doesn't hold the status it once did?

Think back to 18 years ago and what your experience was on the Internet, you didn't have a phone app, media streaming wasn't a thing and uploading a picture was a big deal. The forum has changed just as much as the Internet!

Everyone has seen the diminished volume here and I knew that one day we would be right where we are. We have had less and less outside interest and a smaller core group posting about any topic. So with that slower pace and less viewers our advertisers have seen less reason to advertise here and the spiral begins.

For at least the past year I have been covering what advertising hasn't out of my pocket. You guys would not believe what it takes to keep a website functional and on the Internet with the features that we offer and the bandwidth required along with the requirements of Google and others governing bodies that we have to partner with.

As advertisers have slipped away (more than you know) I have looked into alternate solutions to get 2 of the 3 variable back in play. If I can get more good content on the site automatically that is relevant to our audience then more discussions will occur and then more post and we go positive in one area again.

If I can bring features to the site that bring value then people will use them and again we draw more usage and we are adding to the numbers.

So here it is, the question of the hour..... What to do

As you can tell from the discusion in this thread there were some automatic post that came up, those are called RSS Feeds or (Rich Site Summary). We have an RSS Feed here on the oRg that we send out to anyone that wants to subscribe to it. RSS feeds are put out by just about every active website these days and you see them all the time you just don't know what they are. Every update you might get on your phone might be an RSS feed, news updates etc. Suzuki has an RSS feed and my plan was to find a handful of relevant sites and pull RSS feeds into the site to create topics that could be discussed. Some of those test RSS feeds are hidden in forums you don't have access to while I was working them out.

The Ebay RSS feed is set to pull 2 Feeds, one was Hayabusa Bikes and put it in the classifieds section which it does, I told it to pull every 12 hours and it looks like it pulled about 25 bikes over. We get $$ from Google for showing those ads, since I put them in the classifieds that we don't charge anyone to use I really didn't think that location would be too big of an inconvenience all things considered.

The Second Ebay Feed was set Parts and Accessories and was set to it's own Forum in the classifieds section.

I didn't get a chance to work on the code to eliminate those posts from the "New Posts" button so I apologize.

There it is guys all out there in the open I need to make some pretty significant decisions but for now I turned the RSS feeds off and I will stop working on them while you all discuss it.

cap

Do what you have to if we have to deal with some classified post then that’s what it is. I’m sure other options would be adds that pop up and make the site annoying.

I have found huge value in this site. And I have half looked at how to I give back looking at old threads you can tell you would never ask for donations. So I decided to donate whatever parts I had laying around and giving my business to sponsors that give so much knowledge and help. Is there a way to donate? And If not why not have a part on the page that we can.

Nice thoughts cap. When i messaged you the other day, it wasnt complainging. i was just making sure it wasnt spam. There has been a decent amount of it lately. I for one do not mind the extra busa stuff. Im broke but hell i can still dream.

I am okay with it also, if it needs to be. We all want this site to live. If there is any way to keep it out of New Posts, or to send it in with a trickle instead of an avalanche, it won't take away from the core purpose of providing information relative to the Busa and motorcycle world in general. We all know where flea bay is if we need it . . . I just don't want it or need it to take over if that is possible.

So speaking of advertising, is there anyway that the video section could be uploaded on youtube to an org channel? Personally I don't take many videos (don't have a good camera setup) but if one was to give you permission to upload their video you could generate revenue from the ads that are posted along with those videos. So in essence you have user generated content that we are donating (without donating money if thats the goal). From things like exhaust sounds, how-to's, drag racing and so much more that makes up this a great community we could really help generate some more income.

Back