Easiest place to access to low beam wiring

Where is the easiest place to access the low beam wiring as you have to tap into it.?
There might be easier ways, but this is how I accessed the rear of the Low-Beam housing when I installed my McCollugh HID kit:

1) Remove your windscreen. Trust me. It makes all the following that much easier.

2) Immediately in front of the ignition switch, you will find an allen head fastener that retains the lower instrument dash. Use a 4mm allen wrench and remove it, and use a small flat-blade screwdriver to remove the outside two plastic pop-up rivets. Now remove the lower instrument dash piece altogether.

3) Toward the outboard side where the upper and lower dash pieces meet, you will now see two large pop-up rivets that retain the upper dash piece to the side dash pieces. Remove them. Now look at the upper dash piece where it aligns near the mirror mounts, and you will see two (2) much smaller plastic pop-up rivets (one on each side). Remove them also. Now the upper dash piece can be pulled down and directly straight out.

4) The instrument panel is now thoroughly exposed. It is attached at four (4) points: two (2) small 8mm bolts near the bottom of the instrument panel, and towards the top, two large nylon pins (molded directly into the rear of the instrument panel housing) that reside in large rubber grommets. Remove the lower two bolts. Grasp the top of the instrument panel, and gently yet firmly pull it straight out, but only enough for the nylon pins to clear the rubber grommets.

5) Last item: at the rear of the instrument pod, pull back the rubber boot protecting the large black electrical connector that feeds the instrument cluster, and locate the small tab you need to push down in order to release the connector from the rear of the instrument pod, and you can now completely remove the pod and set it safely aside.

You're DONE! The rear of the low-beam housing is now clearly exposed for you to work on.

Warchild

Thanks much... Printed and will take home with me tonight
thumb_up.gif

is this thing legal to have on your bike. it looks like a strobing light wich i believe is illegal. not being a smartarse just wondering. i think its a great idea. does it have a cutoff switch for nighttime use?

I always think its a cop coming up behind me.. I don't like them.

Yes, It's legal because it does not turn off the light, it momentarely dims down. It is illegal to flash by turning on and off. There needs to be more safety products like this. I also installed the back-off module.
You can manually shut it off or there is a light sensor for automatic switching.

Where is the easiest place to access the low beam wiring as you have to tap into it.?
There might be easier ways, but this is how I accessed the rear of the Low-Beam housing when I installed my McCollugh HID kit:

1) Remove your windscreen. Trust me. It makes all the following that much easier.

2) Immediately in front of the ignition switch, you will find an allen head fastener that retains the lower instrument dash. Use a 4mm allen wrench and remove it, and use a small flat-blade screwdriver to remove the outside two plastic pop-up rivets. Now remove the lower instrument dash piece altogether.

3) Toward the outboard side where the upper and lower dash pieces meet, you will now see two large pop-up rivets that retain the upper dash piece to the side dash pieces. Remove them. Now look at the upper dash piece where it aligns near the mirror mounts, and you will see two (2) much smaller plastic pop-up rivets (one on each side). Remove them also. Now the upper dash piece can be pulled down and directly straight out.

4) The instrument panel is now thoroughly exposed. It is attached at four (4) points: two (2) small 8mm bolts near the bottom of the instrument panel, and towards the top, two large nylon pins (molded directly into the rear of the instrument panel housing) that reside in large rubber grommets. Remove the lower two bolts. Grasp the top of the instrument panel, and gently yet firmly pull it straight out, but only enough for the nylon pins to clear the rubber grommets.

5) Last item: at the rear of the instrument pod, pull back the rubber boot protecting the large black electrical connector that feeds the instrument cluster, and locate the small tab you need to push down in order to release the connector from the rear of the instrument pod, and you can now completely remove the pod and set it safely aside.

You're DONE! The rear of the low-beam housing is now clearly exposed for you to work on.
Can I also access the rear of the hi-beam this way?

I have tried that unit and the HID.... I prefer an HID as the HID also provides outstanding light at night and you can not modulate the HID

Technically the back-off is illegal. Flashing red light part is illegal ( I know it is flash-flash-flash-then steady) but most 98 percent of cops let it go but it is the 2 percent that you have to deal with.

Can I also access the rear of the hi-beam this way?
Yep, sure can.

Below is a photo of what you see when you pull the instrument pod. I have removed the rubber boot off the low-beam where I had just installed the HID bulb (black wires emerging from the bulb recess.) The lamp housing beneath it (with the blue-colored connector) is the high-beam.

K8_nose.jpg

Technically the back-off is illegal.  Flashing red light part is illegal ( I know it is flash-flash-flash-then steady) but most 98 percent of cops let it go but it is the 2 percent that you have to deal with.
So why have I never been pulled over for pumping my brake 4 times before stopping.... This does almost the same thing but it does not flash the light, once again it dims it which is legal.

I would have to see documentation where such a safety device would be illegal.

Back