Early thought?

Gavilan

Registered
Yesterday a sudden thought came to my head, I'm a father of 2 girls 8 and 6 y.o. and a boy of 5, and they like a lot of my bike, and this is where my worry or fear begins...
When they grow up (if God gives me life to see them), I think they will continue enjoying the bikes, but what is the best way to teach them to be a good rider? not the skill to ride a bike, I mean to be aware and cautious about the risks involved when riding a motorcycle.

We always want to protect our children, and those who ride on a bike (I think at least the most) knows the risks we face every time we do it, and we wanted to prepare them in the best way for something bad never happens, because I know if they like the bike as much as I likes, they will want to drive and have one someday.

So...

What will be the best way to guide them?
Always riding with them, while gain enough experience?
Talking about experience good and bad ones?
A driving school?
???

I dont know... maybe I'm worrying too soon, but it's something I wanted to share with you, and know if any of you have or had the same kind of thought.

Well yea, you're at least a few years out. Preach gear and go with a school. Share war stories. Unfortunately experience is a good teacher.

I practice what I preach to my daughter. We have been riding together since she was 5, she is now 9. I let her share my passion, knowledge and experiences good and bad. We ride properly, obey laws, safe, and fun. I have let her into my world and she has gladly accepted it and made it her own passion.

Road smarts really can't be taught. You can guide them but only thru experience will they gain knowledge.
Start em out early so they have a good grasp of biking and then the rest will come to them simply from following dad :)

You're right, preach with the example is the basic ... think I'm on the right way..
Sorry, guess I was on my 5 minutes of reflexion

Thanks bros

Best bet is to have them develop a strong foundation of motorcycle fundamentals. Get them on some dirtbikes asap, pretty cheap, and they last 4ever. Have them learn on a dirtbike and if they want to transition to the street it will have them already above the curve. Most of the guys I know that can Really ride have all been riding since we were really young whether its on our uncles farm or racing AMA. They dont panic and reflexes and instincts takeover when necessary. The guys who have the flat spot on their tires and only like to go in a straight line and rev their bike in parking lots to get attention never been on 2 wheels B4 and pose the most danger to themselves and others they are attempting to ride with :whistle:

My daugter has been riding with me since she was 5 also. She just turned 17 5 months ago. She knows that she is not allowed on the bike without full gear and she is THE best passenger anyone could have. That is not from me but from her grandfather who also rides.

I never realized how much she noticed about how I rode until one day we were in the car just before she got her license and we were taking a corner. she said so dad you do it the same in the car as we do on the bike?? I was just floored.
She has riden my Harley, my ex's Harley and I have allowed her to move the Busa around by riding it.

There is no way to teach that "6th Sense" it is only learned from experience. Yes my daughter and I have had some close calls but she pays attention to my riding and what is going on around us.

My 2 sons started riding dirt bikes at age 3 and 5. They caught on quickly, both sporting new 50cc Hondas with training wheels :laugh:

It didn't take long for them to learn the controls, and it also didn't take us (parents) long to see which kid was the wild child and which one was ultra conservative while riding. They are both 10 and 12 now, and still ride dirt bikes at their Dad's house (an old 80cc Honda). When we were all one family unit, my beliefs on gear prevailed and the boys wore chest plates, riding pants, gloves and helmets...since the divorce, when they're at their Dad's house, I catch them all of the time riding in shorts, shoelaces hanging out to catch in the chain, helmet on but never strapped. They've both burned their legs on the exhaust and have fallen only to get scrapes and bruises. I get so upset with them, tell them they need to protect themselves better, etc. I fuss at my ex, but he honestly doesn't see a problem or seem to worry (he was a Harley rider for years, minimal gear, illegal skid lid, shorts...) SO, all I can do is keep trying my best to educate them on wearing the proper gear and *if* they opt to do any street riding, I'll pull the "Mom card" and tell them they won't have a house to live in if they choose to ride like squids. It's a no brainer for me, and there's no gray area...ATGATT or you don't ride...

Back