E85 produced using any biomatter available

Spike

Donating Member
Registered
I thought a few of you might be interested in this. I know I am.

http://www.wired.com/cars/energy/news/2008/01/ethanol23

Some highlights:

-"A biofuel startup in Illinois can make ethanol from just about anything organic for less than $1 per gallon, and it wouldn't interfere with food supplies..."

-"It's not five years away, it's not 10 years away. It's affordable, and it's now,"

-"backed by General Motors and other investors, uses bacteria to convert almost any organic material, from corn husks (but not the corn itself) to municipal trash, into ethanol..."

-"The end result will be E85 sold at the pump for about a dollar cheaper per gallon than gasoline, according to the company...."

-"You're not bound by location," he said. "If you're in Orange County, you can use municipal waste. If you're in the Pacific Northwest, you can use wood waste. Florida has sugar. The Midwest has corn. Each region has been blessed with the ability to grow its own biomass."

This would be an incredible breakthrough for us and a huge stepping stone to relieve our dependency on fossil fuels. (My god I sound like I am from California, what happened to me?)

Back