Dyno Tuners: General Questions and Pittsburgh PA Info

65Cobra

Registered
Looking to have my '99 turbo busa PCIII USB map fine tuned but I've had no prior experience with this. If anyone had dealings with a dyno tuner within a couple hours of Pittsburgh PA, I'd be interested in your comments, good or bad.

I tried calling three places... one never responded to an email and two phone calls. The other two pretty much said the same thing... I have to leave the bike with them for 2-3 days. They won't even schedule a day where I'm willing to be there first thing in the morning and just sit outside quietly until they're ready. One said he does the mapping when he has time. The other said it's a two day process... one day he maps below 5,000 rpm... the next day he maps the rest.

Not sure what to think of all this... I admit it makes me nervous leaving my busa there but what concerns me is not all turbo setups are the same. For example, what if a better tune can be had by readjusting the BEGI FMU first, then modifying the map, instead of just trying to do everything through the map. Do these guys even know how to set up the BEGI? Does it make a difference? Right now the bike is pretty good through low boost but that's about all I can vouch for.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Looking to have my '99 turbo busa PCIII USB map fine tuned but I've had no prior experience with this. If anyone had dealings with a dyno tuner within a couple hours of Pittsburgh PA, I'd be interested in your comments, good or bad.

I tried calling three places... one never responded to an email and two phone calls. The other two pretty much said the same thing... I have to leave the bike with them for 2-3 days. They won't even schedule a day where I'm willing to be there first thing in the morning and just sit outside quietly until they're ready. One said he does the mapping when he has time. The other said it's a two day process... one day he maps below 5,000 rpm... the next day he maps the rest.

Not sure what to think of all this... I admit it makes me nervous leaving my busa there but what concerns me is not all turbo setups are the same. For example, what if a better tune can be had by readjusting the BEGI FMU first, then modifying the map, instead of just trying to do everything through the map. Do these guys even know how to set up the BEGI? Does it make a difference? Right now the bike is pretty good through low boost but that's about all I can vouch for.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

How the FMU is adjusted and setup is CRITICAL to a Stage One Custom Map. That is why fuel pressue needs to be monitored, along with A/F, rpm and boost - during the tuning session. You need to make more calls!:whistle:

How the FMU is adjusted and setup is CRITICAL to a Stage One Custom Map. That is why fuel pressue needs to be monitored, along with A/F, rpm and boost - during the tuning session. You need to make more calls!:whistle:

I sort of expected someone was going to tell me that... but I agree with the answer. Problem with calling other places is the distance jumps to a 2 hour ride one way. Maybe I'll try calling places that don't have a dyno to see if they recommend anyone I'm not aware of. In the meantime I plan to pick up more sensors so I can add Fuel Pressure, Vacuum and Boost readings to my LM-2. Hopefully others will chime in with some help. Thanks.

I sort of expected someone was going to tell me that... but I agree with the answer. Problem with calling other places is the distance jumps to a 2 hour ride one way. Maybe I'll try calling places that don't have a dyno to see if they recommend anyone I'm not aware of. In the meantime I plan to pick up more sensors so I can add Fuel Pressure, Vacuum and Boost readings to my LM-2. Hopefully others will chime in with some help. Thanks.

A two hour drive one-way is nothing if you are getting your bike mapped correctly. Consider what you already have invested, and consider what may happen should you venture out there with your bike not properly set up. :rulez: Hopefully, some one can suggest a tuner who has the experience, and is within your traveling radius . . .

A two hour drive one-way is nothing if you are getting your bike mapped correctly. Consider what you already have invested, and consider what may happen should you venture out there with your bike not properly set up. :rulez: Hopefully, some one can suggest a tuner who has the experience, and is within your traveling radius . . .

I agree... it's not the 2 hour ride, it's the fact that the further the ride the more chance of something happening.

BTW, I don't understand why you included a "Rulez" icon in your reply... did I do something wrong?

Mikey Slowe,or Tom Miceli are both in the area I think.. If you have to leave it with either it's okay..

I agree... it's not the 2 hour ride, it's the fact that the further the ride the more chance of something happening.

BTW, I don't understand why you included a "Rulez" icon in your reply... did I do something wrong?

No, absolutely not. Its just that many people before you have regretted not getting their turbo bikes properly tuned, and ended up paying more in the end . . .:laugh: Also, if you are going to take a trip, you really would do your bike a favor by pulling the side fairings, and putting it in a truck or trailer, so it is ready to go right on the dyno.

Mikey Slowe,or Tom Miceli are both in the area I think.. If you have to leave it with either it's okay..

After some searching it appears Mikey Slowe is in Croydon PA, out near Philadelphia (5 hours). Tom Miceli looks to be past him in NJ. But I'll hold onto the info in case that's what it takes. Thanks for the suggestions.

Back