DYNO results

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
I got my bike dyno'd today on a portable Dynojet 250i. I was hoping for higher numbers with the mods that I have. Let me know what you think.

Don

dyno.jpg

It does seem a bit low...I would expect about 162hp and almost 100 on the tq
sad.gif

The operator said that the extra bends in the high mounts are probably causing a loss. Other than the BDE StreetSmart, my research told me this system made the most power. He did no tuning and just ran it. The bike did top at 190mph on the top end run.

Don

Get a custom map
wink.gif

I know of a member here in CA with HMF high mounts and a PC...his ran 163 to the rear
biggrin.gif

this does seem low...should be able to improve on that with a good tuner

How much could a custom map improve this? Looks right on 13:1 A/F except slightly below around 4-6000. So what good would a custom tune do?
rock.gif

I'm by NO means an expert, just doesn't make sense to me.

That IS disappointing Don, are these portable machines pretty accurate?

If you can try another dyno could be reading low.use 87 octane gas and make sure your chain is lubed good.the busa makes best power after warm up.you may need to do about 5 pulls until you see hp starting to drop just dont do 2 or 3 pulls it may still go up.also do you have KN filter.

Don is out of town-

Uses 87 octane

Is OCD and does maintenance fanatically

Yes it is a K&N filter

rock.gif

Try another dyno if still low than time to go big bore or turbo with those numbers a stock zx14 will have its lunch.

dyno #'s are just that,there are alot of variables to look at:

how fresh are the plugs?
was filter clean?
was bike centered and strapped down?
What kind of tire?
what air pressure in tire?
what was temp outside?
Pump or race gas?
was chain lubed?
when was last time valves were adjusted?

I will also say this a dyno is just a tuning tool and just like any other tool if not used correctly you will not get the results your looking for.That bike's power may be low on the dyno,but run like a raped ape on the street,you could put a bike on the dyno and make 165 hp and that bike dust it as it sits.You wanna know why?the bike with the richer system on the dyno once air is forced in to it will lean out and create more power,the system that is leaner will do what when more air is forced into it when it has no more gas to burn?go slower so cause the #'s are low doesn't mean it's weak.People always ask why when someone posts a dyno graph why I always ask where is the a/f chart cause torque/hp #'s mean nothing without it.
super.gif

plugs are 5000 miles old, bike has ~12,000 on it valves have never been adj, Ivan's Smart TRE, chain clean and lubed, pump gas (93 octane, not sure why I put that in there, because I usually run 87), I am going to run it on a different dyno and see if I get the same results.  

If that doesn't work, I will add a new cams this winter or I will find a donor busa engine and rebuild a 1363 engine with Yosh stage 1 cams.

Don

(Shibumi @ Oct. 01 2006,09:44)
the graph you are reading is 100%throttle,
so don't put too much in the A/F.
Why?
rock.gif
??

beacause you could have a perfect map at 100% and the rest of the map sux and you will have poor numbers.

tuner tuner tuner is the key

(Johnnycheese @ Oct. 01 2006,21:03)
JC,

Based on your response, the first thing I will do is have custom map. The map I have is the one from the Dynojet. Based on your experience, what kind of numbers should I be making?

The top speed was 190, 6th at the limiter.

Thanks in advance

Don

JC,
I am in Dallas for a couple of days for a horse show with my wife. I wish that we we're closer to you, I would have brought the bike to you. Anyway, I will get a custom tune done and go from there.

Here is a question for you if you have time. How much HP is lost on a dyno run due to no ram air?

Don

Back