DWT (Driving While Texting) Enforcement

in many cases a sober texting driver is far more dangerous then a drunk driver. you completely take ur eyes off the road. no one text messages without looking at the screen.

its really no different then closing ur eyes. at least when ur drunk ur usually looking straight ahead. ur reflexes may suck but its better then closing ur eyes....:whistle:

Couldn't read the article right now. Too much going on atm: Surfing the web, replying to this thread, checking my bank balance and feeling for the left turn signal as I prepare to come to a stop. (Ya know it's ILLEGAL to turn without signaling first! :laugh:) :whistle:

Sadly, the above, though fictional, is based on millions of true stories...from earlier TODAY! Many of them happening in and around YOUR neighborhood! :(

Be smart and be well! :beerchug:

I see this shi**y behavior EVERYDAY on my 50 mile roundtrip commute. It really pisses me off that people can be so rude in thinking this is an acceptable behavior. It's just another example of Selfish, entitled and disrespectful American behavior.
I have no idea what's so friggen important that you feel you can threaten my life and limb. I would love to hear their explanation to my wife and daughter after running me over and killing me.

It's like MMG said above about the turn signal use...When did this become an option or not important...???

Personally, I would like to see a FEDERAL push to withhold all federal funding for states who do not pass Primary laws against distracted driving. It should be a primary offense, just like DWI. It should be strictly enforced. Licenses should be revoked on-the-spot! Device should be confiscated and the person should go immediately to jail.

How dare someone take my life in their hands without my permission. I know when I see it , and I see it often in Albuquerque. that is my first thought. How self important we are, how selfish we are, how arrogant we are to think we are above someone elses life just to use a phone or type into a miniature keyboard while you ar piloting a 5000 lb vehicle at 75 Mph. Where is our humanity? What happened to common sense?

We just had a case where a woman who was speeding, lost control of her vehicle and plowed over a man on a bicycle right in front of his wife and killed him. She was sentenced to 90 days in jail and her lawyers claimed it was "just an accident" Witnesses said she was far exceeding the speed limit and lost control of the vehicle. The worst part was watching her cry like a baby because she had to spend 90 whole days in jail. Not crying for the life she took or the pain she caused the survivng widow. Really?

That is where we are at today in our society folks. THIS WORLD NEEDS AN ENEMA!!!!!

they sell apps that prevent phones from working when traveling above 10 mph. its a good app for parents to get their kids. I think in the future you might see those apps being madatory on new phones. the 911 still works but other then that it does not function.

im sure there will be devices sold that "jail break" it but I bet were not too far out from that being standard on new phones.

Here in Alabama we have TWD laws. However LEO is exempt from it. :whistle:
where does it state in your state staute that Police Officers are exempt from text messaging?

traditionally, Police Officers are exempt from the use of a hand held communication device like their phone so they can communicate with one another by talking. that is simply because their car is their office and use it every day to help enforce laws and catch criminals.

you cant come over channel 1 when you want to raid a drug dealers house or apprehend a fugitive because they have scanners and would escape or destroy evidence. it has to be done via phone.

your state to my understanding does not have a ban on cell phone use. just texting while driving. where is the exception for law enforcement? can you post a link????

They just passed it a month or so back. Yes just texting thus far. They couldn't pass the no cellphone usewhile driving law as it was written. I will have to find the new law in print. Haven't looked for it. It was announced on our news station here. I think they are pushing for hands free cellphone use in the not too distant future. They are already having problems enforcing it as it was reported that law also required pullover lanes be provided for cars to pull over. So far nobody has made any pullover lanes in our area at all. Not sure it has been done anywhere in the state. Everyone still seems to be texting so far with no changes.

Yes I am aware police communicate with each other in an attempt to solve crimes. That has been about what 60 years now? They also use cellphones constantly while driving.

ur right they do use them constantly while driving. but cell phones have not been out for 60 years. at least not small and affordable ones.

I just find it bizare that the state would write a statute specifically addressing police officers as being exempt from texting while they were driving. maybe it is written that way but that's like writing a statute prohibiting people from eating in their car and exempting police officers.???

you said police officers are exempt. where is that written? can you locate a statute? there has to be a public act or statute. id be curoius to read the language if thats what it says.

I will start to search it out to make it a fair exchange.

No they haven't had cellphones for 60 years. 60 years ago it was police phones on the cops foot beat located at street corners. The radios in cars were crude and large. Nonetheless it was radio communications. Today, you have laptops that up/down link continuously, that allows car to car car to base communications. You have radios that allow car to car, car to base communications. Now you are adding cellphones, which are unsecured 98% of the time, to also talk between yourselves? Why would you need that? I don't care if you have them. But now you have 3 things to manage that distract you from driving. LEOs drive just like we do. If they ban cellphone use while driving, are YOU going to stop using yours?

Voice to text apps have been in phones for well over 10 years now and work exeptionally well now in todays smartphones.
My GF has her Iphone clipped to the visor and uses it hands and eyes free operation while driving.

How is it no one else takes advantage of this safety when it is already on their phones!?!

I want to get like 4 15" Subs to 4000 watts so I can shake cars that are texting.:laugh:

FYI: The lower the frequency, the less directional. I'm jus' sayin'. :whistle:

On the other hand, it seems that, based on the number of folks that text while driving, perhaps directional control of the sound isn't currenlty an issue. :whistle::banghead:

It has been illegal in Idaho since the first of the year. The problem is if you just out law texting like we did it is not enforceable. The offender could just say they were dialing a number not texting. Some cities have got around this problem by making it illegal to use any electronic device in a moving vehicle. The catch 22 is that means you can't even change the radio station with out violating the law.

Coeur d'Alene has a law that states if you are using a cell phone and are in an accident you are automatically cited for distracted driving. It doesn't mater if you were at fault or not.

Voice to text apps have been in phones for well over 10 years now and work exeptionally well now in todays smartphones.
My GF has her Iphone clipped to the visor and uses it hands and eyes free operation while driving.

How is it no one else takes advantage of this safety when it is already on their phones!?!

Most of the "Smart Phone" uses don't know how to use most of the function on their devices. They just bought them because it was cool.

There was a thread a while back about a cop who found a way to site people for distracted driving without any additional or specific laws. Wrote a lady a ticket for speeding while she was putting her makeup on while driving. Wrote the ticket for driving to fast for the conditions, the recommend speed to drive your vehicle while putting on your makeup is zero.. Judge upheld the ticket to when she fought it.

Do we need a law for every distraction ??? Seen people eating, reading the paper on their way to work. Some people can't even talk to the passenger and pay attention to the road.

I would like to see the people texting here in Fl get the same penalty motorcyclist get for an improper tag display or lifting the front wheel off the ground. The penalty solved the tag placement problem on motorcycles here just about over night... No one made the same mistake twice

Back