DVD digital copies - when you try to be legal ..... sux

zukracer

I'm somewhere but dont know where
Donating Member
Registered
So I really am trying to be good about buying movies that are Bluray and include a digital copy as part of the set. I've found they are only a few bucks more but worth it since ripping movies can be a pain, if they can even be ripped correctly. I recently got a copy of Where The Wild Things Are for the girls and well, I tried to enter the code. I looked at it and knew I typed it right but seems the fine print says my digital copy access expired on 2/28/11. Now Target won't take the disk back because its open and I cant get a legal good digital copy. :wtf: Maybe I should just stop trying to be as legal with it all if they are going to do stupid stuff like this. Its the first time its happened but honestly why on earth would you put a time bomb on a digital copy of a legally purchased movie :banghead:

sorry had to vent, anyone else found other similar stuff?

simple... its so you have to BUY MORE. go with slyfox... and anydvd to rip.

theres nothing illegal about ripping a dvd for personal use from my understanding.

I rip every movie I buy and put the original on the shelf and the copy in a case... The kids pull the copies out to watch so if they get scratched I just make another copy..

yeah I have DVDFab which is pretty amazing (rips anything into anything, its a bit $$ but kick ass none the less) and rip them too but I guess I look at it like if they are going to offer a digital copy it shouldn't have a time bomb in it. I didn't think we were buying something that was *that* old but would never have bought the digital copy had it been clearly marked that it was no good. I have ripped almost all of the 1000+ dvds we have but started picking up the ones with the digital copy to save time. Guess I'll just keep ripping them as well. One day maybe iTunes will handle the larger size libraries better and I'll have them all accessible on my Apple TV and i-devices.

Oh well mark it as a PSA that if you buy a movie that's more than a year old don't count on that digital copy to work :banghead:

What else do you guys use to rip movies? I've had great success with DVD Fab, never liked Handbrake much but havent used anything else.

I know I have a blue ray of a movie and the digital copy code expired like a year before I tried to use it. It still worked. YMMV.

Back