Dusted by a Vette

E Zurcher

Registered
On the way to work this morning I came upon a late model C-6 Vette. It was a yellow Z-06. I caught up to him in town and we both took the on-ramp to the freeway at the same time. He saw I was behind him and as we turned to the on ramp he was about 3 car lengths ahead of me. He hammered it through the turn and jumped way out ahead of me. I had already dropped it into 1st so I waited until I straightened up a bit and hammered it also expecting to run up to him but to my surprise I didn't close the gap at all. The speed limit is 75 on the freeway and I usually pin it until I hit 90 indicated as I merge. I stayed on it through 3rd gear and he kept going like a bat outta hell. I maintained the gap but expected to close and didn't. Not wanting to go to jail if caught, I chopped the throttle and slowed back down to 90 indicated. Eventually I caught up to him and gave him a thumbs up. All I could think is damm that car is fast and now I need a turbo!:laugh:

We all have our moments of weakness! I would love to know what he had done to that car to hold off a Busa! My guess is that his car is a 1000HP car which in a Z06 does not surprise me.

I almost did the same thing with a c4 vette when I had my Kawi ZX6E. Probably would have turned out the same.

Years ago, I had a little mustang with a big ole shot of giggle gas that would run with a 600 sportbike. I gave several head scratching lessons with it. As far as high powered cars, there are a few 750+hp cars in my area that are driven daily.

There's a little car get together gonna be here in Indy in July.Rides that will be pulling 1000 - 1500whp. 400whp bike will handle that. A certain little guy wants to run my 14r against a 1050whp TTcamaro when they come to town.So he'll have to buy it if he wants to make the run......Point is there's a lot of stupid fast cars out there with lots of boost that will beat modern day sport bikes.

Even stock a 3000 lb 505 HP car with 480 lb feet of torque is pretty fast as I witnessed this morning. Like I said, I managed to maintain the gap even with the vette getting a jump but I couldn't close through 3rd gear. Maybe if I was stupid enough to stay on it through 4th and into 5th but Damm that vette was quick! I want one!

Even stock a 3000 lb 505 HP car with 480 lb feet of torque is pretty fast as I witnessed this morning. Like I said, I managed to maintain the gap even with the vette getting a jump but I couldn't close through 3rd gear. Maybe if I was stupid enough to stay on it through 4th and into 5th but Damm that vette was quick! I want one!

have you seen the 2015 z06 with the z07 track package? it's boosted :laugh:

03CorvetteZ06-sm.jpg

2015-chevrolet-corvettez06-026-in-text.jpg

I have! What a beautiful machine. A person who works in our complex has a blue 2014 and even the base car is a beautiful machine. I love the fact they are keeping the prices relatively low, Base price is 53K and with the most common options should come off the lot around 68 when the car has been available for a while and the dealer premium falls away. The one you picture will probably be closer to 100k though. Its performance will probably eclipse the current ZR-1. The base has more than enough performance for me. If I were to buy a vete today I would get a 50th anniversary Z-06 which can be had for around 25-35K in good shape. I have always liked the rounded sexiness of the C5 as long as the headlights are down.

Are you sure your ABC switch wasn't in the slow setting? :rofl:

I don't know if you had started out in 2nd if that would of helped at all.
Did you upshift without the clutch? :laugh:

Vettes are cool machines.

If you had paid EVEN $50K for a vette and couldn't out run most people on a bike or in a car you wouldn't feel to happy now would you?
Then again you wouldn't have to put $40K into your Busa, to have blown him away (everything else being equal), right?

I'll bet the Busa gets a LOT better gas mileage too. I know who cares, right?
The point is he used a lot more energy (fuel) to blow you away. So was it really a fair race? NO!

Go to a drag strip and race one where everything (like starting from the same point at the same time) is equal.
I don't think the outcome would have been the same.

I highly doubt that vette was stock. Considering I have beat a 700rwhp c5 corvette with +3 rear sprocket, full exhaust and a tune. I put a few lengths on him very easily. My vette is 800rwhp and I still think it would have a hard time beating my bike on motor, let alone with the spray

yea them zo6's r fast! cud hav had a blower or even heads and cam. their highway machines. a modified one is no match for a stock busa

Just turn that around if that was you out front and the the right gear like second you would have been first. Just remember if you are not the lead dog the view always looks the same. Any thing thats gets out on you with a little HP they are hard to catch, Never put yourself in that position.

I think my mistake was not powering through the turn in second. I waited until I was almost upright to gun it in first and by then he was way out ahead of me. In reality he was probably already going 50+ mph and hard on it while I was going around 30 as I went WOT. I think this guy commutes around the same time I do so maybe I'll get a chance to speak to him sometime and find out what he's got.

I think my mistake was not powering through the turn in second. I waited until I was almost upright to gun it in first and by then he was way out ahead of me. In reality he was probably already going 50+ mph and hard on it while I was going around 30 as I went WOT. I think this guy commutes around the same time I do so maybe I'll get a chance to speak to him sometime and find out what he's got.
Yeah, you really can't compete with a high-performance car in a turn under power. You may have lost the race, but not worth the danger. Still, I am very surprised your Busa couldn't catch up once straight. You must have been hitting 150 in third by that point.

You should have caught him and passed him. I understand not wanting to get nailed by popo though.

The vettes are fast, but the Busa is fast too. If you would have drank some milk on that day, you would have caught him.

Back