Durable paint

Bumblebee

Donating Member
Registered
What is a good durable paint to use in painting the passenger peg holders and main peg backers (the brushed aluminum bits)? They stand out like a sore thumb and I would like to paint them black.
Thanks

Powder coat it is.....I will have to find a place around here who does it...I live in a hick town.

Mine are done in plastidip.

20180823_133343.jpg

How have they held up? You have rear-sets now. Were your originals done with Plasti-dip?

How have they held up? You have rear-sets now. Were your originals done with Plasti-dip?

I never painted my factory foot controls. Left them alone since they would see a lot of wear and I knew I was going with aftermarket rearsets anyways. As for the rear foot pegs, it has held up nicely. Couple of spots have peeled off a little from my boots hitting them so I'll redo them again with a few more coats next time.

I'll get a couple of pics for you to see where it peeled the most.

I never painted my factory foot controls. Left them alone since they would see a lot of wear and I knew I was going with aftermarket rearsets anyways. As for the rear foot pegs, it has held up nicely. Couple of spots have peeled off a little from my boots hitting them so I'll redo them again with a few more coats next time.

I'll get a couple of pics for you to see where it peeled the most.
What do you think of truck bed liner on them? Think it would hold up?

Funny you mention the spray on bedliner. I've used it plenty of times for several different parts on a few of my old cars. If I didnt like the look of something, I used the spray on bedliner to give it a black plastic appearance. Worked great.

So, yes it will do the job. I wouldnt use it for that application personally because the texture and visual effects of it wont match anything on my bike.

Funny you mention the spray on bedliner. I've used it plenty of times for several different parts on a few of my old cars. If I didnt like the look of something, I used the spray on bedliner to give it a black plastic appearance. Worked great.

So, yes it will do the job. I wouldnt use it for that application personally because the texture and visual effects of it wont match anything on my bike.
I hear you...I guess I will be hunting for a powder coater...

Believe it or not, I used it on my passenger pegs when I did the Gsxr tail swap and the stuff rubbed off with my saddlebags straps that I hooked to them. Now I’ll probably have to pay extra to get that stuff sandblasted off of them before powered coating. My rider footpegs (with buell peg mod) have been doing great after powder coating them 6 or 7 years ago. I wear sidi vórtice boots that already damaged the finish on my concours14 pegs, but have not been able to damage my busa pegs. Powder coat is some tough stuff.

Why not ship the parts to a powdercoater if there's no one near you. Shipping should be cheap.
I'll find somewhere...I'm sure Ottawa (120kms) away has someone who does it.....

Powder coating is the way to go, and will be a winter project.

T&M Powder Coating is/was a site sponsor, somewhere in the midwest(Illinois?).
Myself and many members here sent our passenger pegs to him.
They do excellent work, and from time I shipped them until I got them back was around one week.
I forget the cost, but remember it was very reasonable. High quality, great service, cheap price.
I'll see if I can find a link for them.

Back