Dupont blue can (multipurpose chain lubricant) no longer usable for bikes??

mysql

Registered
The blue can of dupont teflon chain lube has been amazing. It's $4.50 from lowes.

A few years ago dupont found out they had a big following with motorcycles and created a bike chain specific version, and doubled the price of the blue can.

I'm now reading that they also "fixed" the blue can so it would not suit our needs and we have to get the new yellow can.

this is the first I've read of this, can anyone confirm or deny?

Reviews prior to 2012 refer to DuPont Teflon Multi-Use DRY Lubricant - Contains Wax to Repel Dirt. Since late 2011, the formula no longer contains wax, is no longer dry, and is not recommended for motorcycle or bicycle chains.

The answer is YES.

When Dupont came out with the Yellow can (which is thicker than the original blue can and not as good IMHO), the also changed the formulation of the Blue Can. The OLD blue can said "DRY" on it, the new reformulated blue can is missing the "DRY" label, and does not dry nearly as quickly as the original formula (slings more).

The old thinner and "dry" blue can was the best version - I acutally still have just a LITTLE bit left. After it's gone I will have to use the yellow can :(

I've never used the blue, but the yellow is still pretty thin going on. Its not like it comes out like snot or anything and flows freely around the links and plates. About every 4 or 5 lubes I really spray the crap outta the chain, using the lube as a cleaner. Using the straw, I shoot it in between the plates and let it run down the back of the chain and onto a rag on the floor. It cuts through any accumulated grime and afterword I run a clean rag over the chain and she is sparkling new. with a fresh coat of lube where it matters, in between the plates and at the seals.

I read from a company post that there is no difference in either of the can's contents. You could use it to partially clean out grit and grime, but that is not what it was made for. WD-40 is a good quick drying solvent which is good to clean the chain. Then use the dupont for the roller plates. The dupont dries shortly thereafter and does not fling off.

^ There wasn't a difference. That's the point of this thread. They've since changed it so the original dry blue is now a wet lube.

This has all been debated, researched and previously established. The search engine is your friend...

The blue can definately cuts grease and grime. I also use this as a cleaner for chain and sprocket area cleaning. Just bought the yellow can, I've heard great reviews so I figured I'll give it a go.

I know this thread is a few months old, But maybe this info will help others searching...

Here is a link I found a while back talking about the different formulas and why they had to change the old Blue can. Basically it says the Yellow Chain-Saver can is what the original old Blue can used to be before they had to change it.. I bought one of the new Blue cans right after they changed them and it sucked so I stopped using Dupont until I found the thread linked below. Now i've been using the Yellow can and it seems to be just like the old Blue can was.

Dupont Chain-Saver - maybe not

Again, the YELLOW CAN is THICKER than the original BLUE CAN DRY LUBE....

Been using the new yellow can since first lube on my girl. So far, so good. Looks nice and clean. Still throws a bit around. I am fairly liberal with the lube. Should I wipe down my chain after it sets up? I usually let it sit overnight after a lube btw.
Thx, haven't used chains in many years. And back then, all I did was spray some crappy lube on and didn't care about the sling! Sure love my gear drives!
Troy

Back