Dunlop's New SportSmart

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
I wrote to Dunlop asking a definition of their newest tire "Sportsmart"! This is their response!

To: @msn.com[/email]
Subject: Re: Dunlop Tire Contact Form Submission
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 11:58:52 -0500

Good morning Steven,
Thank you for taking the time to contact Dunlop Motorcycle and ATV.

The SportSmart is comparable to Q2. Both products were developed for the Sportbike segment. Both Q2 and SportSmart are outstanding when used on the track. Q2 was designed for US roads while SportSmart was designed for European roads. There is quite a big difference in road infrastructure and weather, which directly affects motorcycle treadwear.

In Europe, the landscape between regions just a few kilometers apart can be completely different. From narrow and twisty roads to cities mainly consisting of roundabouts. Roundabouts replace our traditional four-way signal intersections. Commuters in Europe subject their tires to more cornering forces while US roads subject tires to more braking and acceleration forces (stop and go).

On average Europe has 20-30% more rain days than the US. Also, gas prices in Europe are 2x higher than US. So Europeans tend to use motorcycles more for commuting. With this being said, the SportSmart needed to focus on European commuters with their wet twisty roads as well as track-day enthusiasts.

The Sportsmart will not be brought into the USA.

Should you need further information or assistance, please call Dunlop Consumer Affairs @ 800-845-8378
or e-mail us.

regards,
Virginia Gallant
Consumer Affairs Representative.
Consumer Affairs
Dunlop Motorcycle & ATV Tire Division

A straight answer that actually makes sense. How often does that happen?
I wonder if the Euro tire performs as it's supposed to?
That's pretty cool though.

Sounds like that tire matches more of the road conditions here in WNC... too bad I'll have to make due with my 016's :laugh:

If the Sportsmart sells well in Europe it would not surprise me to see it become available here in the USA. Sounds like the Sportsmart would be a great tire here in the Pacific Northwest where it rains six months of the year and twisty roads abound only minutes from the metropolitain areas. A longer life center with equal lateral grip to the Q2 would certainly be a hot commodity for sure!

Back