Dunlop Sportmax anyone using?

wardie

Donating Member
Registered
The Busa I just purchased has the Sportmax on the front and rear. I've only had 2 really short rides I just can't get used to the front tire. Either I'm striaght up or I'm banking there's no in between. Is this the profile of a 120/70 ZR-17 Sportmax. I'd rather swap it out with something that takes less aggressive lean like Michlin Power Roads or something. Am I correct on this?:banghead:Wardie

Come on guys I need some feedback. Daytona is a scant couple weeks away and I am riding the Busa down so if I need to swap the tire I've got to get it done next week. Wardie

I use qualifier. Just got another one to mount on the rear. The is my 3rd Q in 10,000 miles.

I have not used anything else so I cant compare. I got a cut in my oem after 350 miles. Been on Q's every since.

Come on guys I need some feedback. Daytona is a scant couple weeks away and I am riding the Busa down so if I need to swap the tire I've got to get it done next week. Wardie

IHaven't used them what days you coming for ?

The Sportmax aren't qualifiers. I believe from reading Dunlops website that they are a dual compound tire? Just seems like either you're on the centerline or not. When you're not the bike is turning at a strong lean angle which when going slow isn't good.

I'll leave for Daytona on 2/27 and probably make it to W.VA. in about 6 hours and I'll stop because it's dark (deer) and cold and the mountains of WVA. are coming so layover and crank it the remainder of the way in the morning. Usually I ride straight through on the way back. I always take my BMW and if I can't get some seat time on the Busa I'll leave it home. There's nothing worse than trying some thing new during a 1,000 mile trip. And the Busa is new to me. Wardie

I've been using sportsmax quailifer's since I got my bike.My last rear I went to a dunlop roadsmart with the qualifer front with no problem.I need more mileage from the rear.The bike feel's fine in turn's with the front I have on there.And it stick's.

Maybe you could swap a qualifier to the front.. I have tried a number of tires and so far for just solid feel I like the Qualifier.. Really stable predictable turn entry without ever feeling thrown or tipped in.. confidence inspiring for me.. My favorite tire so far..

I ran 4 sets of Pirelli Corsa3's... great tire with fair mileage.. They have a little of that falling in to the corner feel but never enough to make me shy away from them.. Got to be as good a street/track tire as any out there.. (only thing it has on the Dunlop is tire life..)

The Sportmax aren't qualifiers. I believe from reading Dunlops website that they are a dual compound tire? Wardie

Look on the sidewall of your tires. There will be a name like Sportmax Qualifier, Sportmax 207, Sportmax 208, Sportmax 209, etc. I'm suspicious you have the Sportmax Qualifier since this tire is a very popular street tire.

Most likely, it's not the tire if your busa is very agressive on the tip in? I would guess the previous owner has played with the suspension. What makes the bike agressive in tip in is having the rear higher than the front. Check the dog bones, make sure they are stock. Also check the front forks to see if the fork tubes has been raised in the tripple clamp.

A 55 series tire on the rear will also contribute to your problem. Do a bit of exploration and chime back in?

Let's get this straight. You own a busa and you are complaining that it turns too well?

Yeah it does sound funny but I don't like the WAY it turns. Doesn't seem predictable and certainly not confidence inspiring. I think Tufbusa has made a couple opf good points that I will check. Thanks to all who responded. Wardie

Back