Dumba$$

Wag

Evil Demon Busa Rider
Donating Member
Registered
Put some new rear brake pads on about four or five months ago. Bike had 14,000 miles on it. Paid attention to the disassembly so I could reassemble it properly. At least, I thought I had.

Bike now has 21,000 miles on it. Pads are down to metal and scored the rotor. Damn.

Bought new pads and took the old beat up ones out of the bike. Paid close attention to how they were installed. Looked in the Haynes manual (Thanks for the loan, Chris!
biggrin.gif
) and realized I had put the two little pad retainer springs on the outsides of the pads. They are supposed to go on the insides.

Dammit.

Word to the wise: Careful.
Word to the even wiser: Don't let Wag work on your bike unless he's done it on his own bike FIRST and had success with it for at least a year!

Gad. Fortunately, it seems that the rotor is going to be okay for now. I'll replace it when the pads need doing again.

--Wag--

Glad you figured it out Lou!!
biggrin.gif

I'd never seen brake pads that worn before
wow.gif
poke.gif

my stockers needed replacement around 6k (rears)
also, hows it make a diff. where the clips go?
they do the same thing either way right?

Wag put a Galfer wave rotor on the back when you change it out. I picked one up for $120. I scored the he!! out of my rotor becuase I was just plain lazy and waited to long to replace the pads.

I was gonna ask you to sync the throttle bodies for me
biggrin.gif

my stockers needed replacement around 6k (rears)
also, hows it make a diff. where the clips go?
they do the same thing either way right?
Believe you me, it matters. I can tell a noticeable difference in the way the wheel rotates when I lube the chain. It coasts much more easily now.

Put those clips on the INSIDE not the outside.

--Wag--

I was gonna ask you to sync the throttle bodies for me  
biggrin.gif
Now THAT, I'm able to do as long as I don't lose any washers during the reassembly. Just ask Chris and Nelson!

Leftover parts after a job is done makes me very uncomfortable.

Oh, and I nearly forgot, I now know to turn the idle speed back down after we're done and before we put it all back together!

Experience is a good teacher in the school of hard knocks, however.

biggrin.gif

--Wag--

biggrin.gif

my rear brakes always smoke because i ride them a lot... hard twisties means lots of back brake on the busa for some reason.. never on any other bike i owned!

Good tip Wag, I'm about to change out my pads - Thanks for the Heads up
wink.gif

Back