dumb question

crashtestdumba$$

Registered
I had a 2000 busa....killed it. in 2001. Now I gots me a 06 limited.

This may be a stupid question but hey....here goes. The engine makes quite a bit of rattling noises at idle. It seems to run okay. Just wondering if this is normal. I don't remember the 01 being so much of a rattle can! It pulls great and runs well. Just a bunch of noise at idle. It is almost louder than the clutch free wheeling in the belly of the beast.

I picked it up used with 9k miles on it. Adult owned and other than the noise, it was a great deal. I didn't notice the noise at the time of purchase. I have not taken it up over 9k RPM as of yet until I get a confirm....

Greg

There was a few 06 Busa's that had the wrong main bearings in them. Might be your case.

It may be valve train related. The first thing to check is the chain tensioner. After that when you have a chance you may want to pull the valve cover and check the clrearances.

it makes the sound when warmed up...not cold. I put on two brothers cans a few days ago and I can now hear a slight miss when cruzing. It feels like it is in time with the chatter. maybe I do have a valve train issue or timing issue...

It pulls great and doesn't blow any smoke. Odd.....

Guess I am going to get her up on the rack and see whats shakin.

A common problem on turbo manifolds is the header comes loose. A leaking header will sound alot like chatter. I know yours isnt turbo but ya never know. Good luck.

My 03 has a noise from cam chain area, is this normal? Sounds like chain is loose when its cold.

My 03 has a noise from cam chain area, is this normal? Sounds like chain is loose when its cold.
Thats my bet too ! Mine was doin that only on cold start up. I was told, being an (automatic) cam chain tensioner it will tighten itself up when it gets overly loose. Alotta guys go to (manual) adjusters coz of it !

Is this normal for Busa's? Do you think the tensioner needs to be replaced, and if so, is this a hard job to do?:please:???

sounds funny but check the headder bolts, mine does the same thing and then i tighten up the headder bolts and i am good

The noise from my motor is the 'cam chain'. Are you talking about the exhaust header bolts?

Ive had the same issues with my 00 after several years, and it was the cam chain. If its the cam chain, get an APE manual tensioner, installs in 10 minutes, 5 of those is getting the Fairings off. With the bike in gear and off, move it forward a bit to tighten the cam chain, throw the tensioner in there and tighten just to the point where you feel contact with the tensioner chain guide. Once there back it off 1/4 turn and tighten the lock nut. Vioala...No more noise or risk of loose chain. Some people also make minor adjustments with the engine on...depends how carefull you are.

cookie, or anyone, what would be the proper way to remove 'all' of the 'dino' oil and replace with (full) synthetic?

Back