Dumb PC2 question

OB_Dirty Pete

Registered
It's the 007 "Full Akrapovic system with modified airbox and stock air filter" that carries a warning from Dynojet to the effect that they do not recommend modifying the airbox, and that on map 007 the low end has been leaned out which may result in overly sudden low end response AND that, if you get that effect from 007 and don't like it, you should revert to map 006 despite having the airbox mod.

You are correct Frank, the pc2 will keep the map after power is removed. The box I was talking about was designed to allow a dealer to pre-program the pc2 for a customer to take home and install.

Thanks very much for the offer, KawAbuser. When I see how deeply I get involved with this I may take you up on that. Sounds addictive though...especially given that I have a cheapo source of Dynojet 150 time with a good tuner. Hey, what do I need the tuner for? I just need the dyno time.

The tutorial for the PC2 says that to upload new programs you've got to have "the ignition switch on and the kill switch off."

QUESTION: Does this mean I can only reprogram the PC2 on my bike? I have to carry my computer into my garage? Can't I unplug the unit and reprogram it at my desk?

Jeff? Animal? Anyone?

Second question: Has anyone tried the new Dynoject PC2 map for the Akrapovic with airbox mod? Dynojet is warning that the results may be a little rough at the low end.

Pete
Ypou load the program to the PC2 "on the bike" with the kill switch ON and key on.

Leave power off before you connect the 232 serial cable though.

It is best to connect with yuor computer "in the garage." I use a lap top.

If this in no an option then you need to:
A. Get a long *** 232 cable to run out of your house to the bike.
B. Buy the power adapter so you can change the map from your home computer in your house with the PC2 removed. The PC2 nneds power to accept chnages.

From what I can tell most people on this site only use the stock map provided from dynojet or use the three buttons--Low, Med, and High.

This makes the PC2 too similar to the Yosh box. To use it fully you need to go into the tables and change specific rpm and throttle position.

ramair1@flash.net I would be glad to talk to you over the phone briefly if needed.

Bob

The unit has to be powered up by some means. I was lucky in that my wife's PC was near the door leading to the garage and I backed up close enough to the door to connect. You could probably use another means to power the unit off the bike like a battery or regulated power supply but you would need access to the wiring diagrams to determine the correct pins to use.

Yes, DP, that's the deal with the PC2, use a lap-top close to bike or buy the power-supply from Dynojet for it (guess that finding out which pins should get the power would do if you're smart enough, to make something yourself, but I haven't really looked into that and until now just borrowed a colleague's laptop).

I have the 007 map uploaded to mine but mine hasn't run for almost half a year as I'm still waiting for some parts. I've done the other mods like on Turbo-Rick's bike at the time Dynojet made that map, but would be quite interested in hearing from others if/how they like it if they too have the airbox mod. BMC filter, Akrapovic exhaust, PC2 map 007 (and PAIR dumped)?

I have the Akro w/ airbox mod loaded in mine and it runs very rough below 3500 rpm. Remeber I posted this on the other site and you said why was I running it that low anyway. I also wanted to know why they leaned it way down on the 007 map down low. It seems with the increased airflow you would need more fuel. And yes unless you have a cord that can reach your bike you have to carry your PC to the garage. Or you can get the power adapter from Dynojet, but it is pretty expensive.

Thanks Oger, Animal, Bob and Todd.

Fortunately, one of the employees here works on a high end PC laptop that I can steal on the weekends.

I think I'll start out with the 006 map (Akrapovic w/stock box) and dial it in from there, starting with low end leaning. My low end mixture has not been modified from stock anyway, although the ignition has been retarded a hair, and the bike runs perfectly with the full box cut.

I much appreciate your info, and especially your offer Bob to speak with you on phone if necessary!

I would load the akro map with the box mod, then use the buttons for any additional tweaking needed. I tried the akro map without the box mod and my bike ran like shitt. I needed way more fuel down low. I'm currently using the tiforce map with 1 bar down on the low button.
I would think the map for your setup is still the way to go, bob will agree.
BTW, I borrowed a laptop that did'nt work. Got so desperate I wheeled my bike into my living room to reach my PC in my office. I wasnt going to be denied. Good luck.

Go to the dynojet home page and you will discover a little black box that allows you to program the pc2 out of the bike. It supplies the required voltage.

This way you can do it from your home system.
I would not exceed the rs232 std 50' cable legnth. You may/will get improper map uploads. Hell from time to time, I get a bad upload from the cable that dynojet provides.

Oger: Marketing "R" Us. Would would you like to know?

Omega: I'm not surprised you have a little trouble with the Akra map. You're running a Muzzy, right? Them there maps is very detailed, and set just so for each pipe. As far as running the Akra 006 map on an "007 bike" goes, that's what Dynojet recommends you do if you don't like overly abrupt low end response. I'm sure I'll end up trying it both ways, but I'm not going to go too deep into it when the new cams could arrive any day.

Hi
Just about to order the PC2 myself.
If the communication line to the PC2 is through the PC serial line interface,
then the maximum length of the cable should not be longer then 9 meters.
(approx 27 foots)
/Ove

What happens when you disconnect all power to the pw2? Does it keep the last entered Map?
This is why I ask...
If it does keep the last Map, why couldn't you disconnect everything, bring it in the house and put it on a AC/DC type adapter box, wire it up and enter whatever Map, then take it back to the bike and re-hook everything?

DP, form My experiences with any of the provided Maps from Dyna-Jet on stock Busa with simular Mods to yours have been by useing the TI FORCE Map then dialing with the pw2 buttons.
I don't know what kind of airbox mod they used on that "Akrapovic/box mod" map, but it's further off then most.

Omega, taking the Busa to living room, is Great!
I have to meet you some day, thats for sure!

OK can someone just shootout a straight answer? Is the 006 setup with the Akrapovic good, or am I wasting a lot of money for something that is going to be choppy at low RPMs?
I don't have an airbox mod...Yet... :)

[This message has been edited by 00 so Blue (edited 18 April 2000).]

Back