Ducati-Style Headlight Repair

ltwgs

Registered
I've been reading through a lot of threads since joining 2 days ago, and it's all been very helpful up to this point. I bought this Gen1 (my first busa) with the headlight conversion completed, to a degree, but as Willie G pointed out they emit a dull soft yellow that cannot be easily distinguished on a sunny day...(nearly worthless at night)...Per what I've learned by the Org's teachings, I removed the front fairing and just one of the lamp assemblies to seek out replacement/improvement parts. Would someone explain to me this bulb setup - is it a factory wiring and bulb assy in an aftermarket housing or what? I'm missing those clips on the backs, several screws don't match as they should, and the lenses are either damaged on the inside or just shoddy.

Seeking replacement parts is the final issue, after visiting the Pyramid Plastics site which doesn't seem to sell the light housings/lenses separately from the conversion kit. Can I get aftermarket bulbs with the wires and connector since these were soldered together?

Pics...
1. Overview
2. Bulb Housing - rear
3. Wiring Assy
4. Bulb Housing - top
*the unit I pulled was the cleanest of the two, the other having rust and burn damage in key spots

Photo_5A3986D4-A198-6C4C-A3E9-C33FACA9D95A.jpg

Photo_86C9ED4F-55D6-403E-849C-039F40CFCE0F.jpg

Photo_BCFD1B94-3F82-88B1-D079-4B0F7AFFF053.jpg

Photo_E813D9F5-11EE-C41D-9978-0190639544B3.jpg

looks like someone chopped up those housings pretty good. no matter what you replace them with, you'll probably have to do some custom work.

the dim lights are a big issue with that conversion. I think they would have ben mroe popular if they set it up right. Like Ogre said you're going to need some custom work. If you can find a good set of 55watt fog lights that have the same lens diameter you might want to swap them in. Then I would replace the driving light with a HID kit for that bulb. Also, if you buy projector fog lights you'll have to open them up to remove the half circle metal bracket that cuts the beams so they can be used as fog lights. It's very easy to do this. The mounting brackets will need to be fabbed up. That'll be the biggest challenge.

the dim lights are a big issue with that conversion. I think they would have ben mroe popular if they set it up right. Like Ogre said you're going to need some custom work. If you can find a good set of 55watt fog lights that have the same lens diameter you might want to swap them in. Then I would replace the driving light with a HID kit for that bulb. Also, if you buy projector fog lights you'll have to open them up to remove the half circle metal bracket that cuts the beams so they can be used as fog lights. It's very easy to do this. The mounting brackets will need to be fabbed up. That'll be the biggest challenge.

This.

I can accept a lot of mods to a bike, even if I don't see the need....but to mod lights so that they can't be seen at night, much less daytime?

I think the first route is trying to clean the lenses I have, and upgrading the bulbs. Any feedback on the Silverstar H7 or H3?
Posted via Mobile Device

what about those light sleepless red has on the bottom of his forks. I tried doing a search and couldn't find the thread were he had them lit up. I like the look of the Ducati style head light though

i dig the duc style lights too, especially when there's more function than stock.

Back