Dual sports sure are alot cheaper to replace parts on than sportbikes lol

The Big Red One

Registered
I recently got back into dual sporting......and I'd forgotten how much cheaper it is to replace plastics and work on them than my sportbikes. I love my sportbikes, but I'm really enjoying freshening up the looks of my new dual sport without breaking the bank.
Just because I want my dual sport to look sharp, I've replaced most of the plastic on it and added an exhaust, and spent less than the cost of one side fairing for my busa. Talk about cheap :cheerleader: :thumbsup: Just ask Justin, he's got pretty much everything coming my way.......btw did I mention Justin rocks? :bowdown: :bowdown: :laugh:
I'm really having a good time enjoying nature on the new bike, and being able to make it look so good for so cheap.
I wish sportbikes were this cheap and easy to mod up :banghead:

been on the fence about jumping onto the dualsport bandwagon because I really want to start doing some adventure riding. post pics of what ya got, man :please:

Yeah I was looking into a CRF 450x and putting a street legal supermoto kit on it then I remembered "Oh yeah I got a Busa"....:laugh:

Give it time, the expenses will quietly add up..:laugh:

Dual sports may not be that bad, but after some time of supporting a 3 bike/3 discipline habit, it gets blurry as to what is taking the most of my $$.

where the road ends, dualsporting begins! I have had so much fun on my KLR, I'll never sell it. On my 85th birthday, I'll just add a sidehack! BTW, don't get into highend bicycles, it costs as much as the Busa habit. Doyle

P1000906.JPG

P1000707.JPG

P1000706.JPG

IMG_2407.jpg

P1020928.JPG

been on the fence about jumping onto the dualsport bandwagon because I really want to start doing some adventure riding. post pics of what ya got, man :please:
I'll try, its a honda 04 xr650L, has low miles and in pretty good shape overall, but it had the usual rashes dirt bikes acquire, and being busa owners yourselves you understand how we get in the habit of wanting our machines to look good, so I'm sprucing it up some.................till the first drop of course :laugh: but at least it will be MY drop lol.

Yeah yeah Chris I'm working on it :laugh:

Give it time, the expenses will quietly add up..:laugh:

Dual sports may not be that bad, but after some time of supporting a 3 bike/3 discipline habit, it gets blurry as to what is taking the most of my $$.
I joined Thumper Talk recently and guess who I found over there...our favorite HillBilly :beerchug: And I agree multi-bike habits sneak up on you, but I've sworn to the wife no more bikes and no more mods to the other bikes.....she's actually been a very good sport over the years :thumbsup:

where the road ends, dualsporting begins! I have had so much fun on my KLR, I'll never sell it. On my 85th birthday, I'll just add a sidehack! BTW, don't get into highend bicycles, it costs as much as the Busa habit. Doyle
Great minds think alike Doyle.....I even have a mountain bike myself. I never knew you dualsported, right on :thumbsup:
I made the mistake of selling my last dual sport years ago, and started focusing on just street bikes.....but I always felt something was lacking, I'd take a beautiful ride on one of my street bikes and find the road turned to dirt just as things got real interesting, I'd see sweet winding trails up into the hills and think, man...I wish I could get up there.

My last beautiful early morning ride on the busa was too much, I found an awesome road that ended in a wonderland of offroading, I must have sat there for 5 minutes staring longingly up the trails. I came home, started shopping, and picked up the honda 2 weeks later :laugh:

Just like you I'll never be without a dualsport again :beerchug:

I've thought about a DS, but there is no real use for them around here. Only one dirt road that I can think of left, everything else has been paved over through the years (far different story 25 years ago). More of them a ways away from here, but it involves 60-80 miles each way of buzzy "dirt bike on the 4 lane" travel to get to them.
And the off road trails are well off the scale the other direction. Seen people try to take DS bikes into the Chadwick use area, it wasn't pretty.:laugh:
Know a couple guys who live close to the use area and have plated woods bikes (KTM EXCs) so they can ride the 4-5 miles to and from the use area rather than load and haul, but that's about it.

I've thought about a DS, but there is no real use for them around here. Only one dirt road that I can think of left, everything else has been paved over through the years (far different story 25 years ago). More of them a ways away from here, but it involves 60-80 miles each way of buzzy "dirt bike on the 4 lane" travel to get to them.
And the off road trails are well off the scale the other direction. Seen people try to take DS bikes into the Chadwick use area, it wasn't pretty.:laugh:
Know a couple guys who live close to the use area and have plated woods bikes (KTM EXCs) so they can ride the 4-5 miles to and from the use area rather than load and haul, but that's about it.
I live literally 5 minutes from unlimited riding in the desert, and 10 from the mountains. I use to just ride my dirt machines out of the garage and down the street to the dirt, but the police have been enforcing dirt machines on the street more lately, and I wanted the option to be able to just walk out, jump on the bike, and head out to a new adventure whether it was close by, or miles away. The xr is quite abit heavier than the dirt bikes I've had, but it still does a good job in the dirt with the right tires, and works very well on the street....its actually more comfy for my 6'3" frame than my sportbikes at normal highway speeds....plus its electric start :cheerleader: no more kicking :laugh:

In Reno where I live, in front of me are the amazing Sierras, and behind me (I call it "the outback") are hills/mountains full of singletrack....if I had enough fuel, I could ride to Canada! BTW, having to ride awhile to get to a trailhead is no excuse! Doyle

P1020921.JPG

P1000701.JPG

P1000704.JPG

P1000705.JPG

Back