Dual-Sport Wanted... suggestions?

Doc_Busa

Donating Member
Registered
I would like to get a bike to ride on trails in the desert and maybe an occasional trip to Utah for some mountain trail rides. Of the bikes I have seen, I like the DRZ400S the best so far, but an XL650, DR650, KLR650... also looks good. Off-road is more important to me than on-road (got the Busa for that), but I prefer something I do not need to trailer to the trail...

Any advice would be appreciated... also, I have a 1963 Military Jeep with a Buick V6 I would be willing to trade up or down if anyone is interested...

Thanks

Doc,

I'd go with the Kaw. or the Suzuki 400. The only down side with the 650's is they tend to get a little heavy. Both would make a great trail bike.

Later,

Steve

Doc,
Having ridden an XL650, Tree is correct, it is a bit of a pig. The other things that make it sub-optimal is it has a high center of gravity (it's a tall bike, and I'm a tall dude).

Also, the tires are crap, although I guess that would be the case with any dual-sport given that knobbies aren't the most confidence-inspiring on the rode.
Good luck!

-Juggler

Thanks guys! That Suzuki DRZ400S is SWEET! Only problem is that it is too new a model to find deals... I may have to wait a bit.

Doc,

Good luck. I'll have to ride vicariously through you! I practically grew up riding dirt bikes in Reno and sorely miss being able to rip-poop around.

I bet you have some kick-ass trails to ride in Veg-ass.

--Juggler

There are tons-o-trails around here. That is why I am burnin' to get a bike to explore the desert. I grew up on RM's, and would kinda like to get another RM, but I hate having to trailer it... the DRZ maybe the perfect tool for the job.

Later

Hi Doc..I have a XR650L..i won two flat track TT's with it..
It has knobbies..a little top heavy..but otherwise a sweet bike.
It is more dirt worthy than some others...DrZ would be fine too. but you could probably find a better deal on a 650L...
Mine has 9k hard miles on it..Ps road to the track with mirrors and kickstand..unbolted..Kicked ass on DRZ400,KX500,and a YZF400..victory was sweet.....at night..headlight was on as was brake light and blinkers..hehe..over 50 pro class....

jeez. now I want another dirt bike. Doc, if you get something before our get-together next month, let me know. I may hav to bring da busa and a dirtbike. Oh yea, that sounds fun...... tore up Avra Valley west of Tucson for 3 years... one time on a YZ490, the seat came off when I was 20ft in the air....... needless to say it was a hard-ass landing!
laugh.gif

Hi Doc..I have a XR650L..i won two flat track TT's with it..
It has knobbies..a little top heavy..but otherwise a sweet bike.
It is more dirt worthy than some others...DrZ would be fine too. but you could probably find a better deal on a 650L...
Mine has 9k hard miles on it..Ps road to the track with mirrors and kickstand..unbolted..Kicked ass on DRZ400,KX500,and a YZF400..victory was sweet.....at night..headlight was on as was brake light and blinkers..hehe..over 50 pro class....
Right on Faski! I heard the XR is a good way to go. I am not trying to do any racing, just some trail riding. The DRZ seems like the most dirt worthy and still street legal. Who knows, I don't have the cash right now anyway, but thinking... and that usually leads to trouble!

Later

jeez. now I want another dirt bike. Doc, if you get something before our get-together next month, let me know. I may hav to bring da busa and a dirtbike. Oh yea, that sounds fun...... tore up Avra Valley west of Tucson for 3 years... one time on a YZ490, the seat came off when I was 20ft in the air....... needless to say it was a hard-ass landing!  
laugh.gif
I kinda of doubt I will have anything by then, you never know. I am looking for used mostly. If you see any killer deals in your area and can haul it out here, please let me know.

I rode RMs for years and had some hard landings myself. My most famous was in a new riding area. Looked like a killer hill climb, very steep. I ripped it up in power band WOT... didn't realize it dropped straight off at the peak with about a 20 ft drop. I FLEW a long way then bit it on the landing... I can still feel the pain.

Doc... Going to buy a DRZ400 myself! Just don't know when.

Marc "Howlin Mad"

I have a 2002 DL-1000 to go along with the 02 Busa. If you are looking for a good road bike with off road capabilities then the DL might not be a bad choice. It compares to the BMW GS 1150 and the Triumph Tiger but with waaaayy more cojones. If you are looking for a more aggressive off roader that can be made street legal then check out the KTM 525, it's bad ass and for a few bucks it can be made legal. I'll have one before the end of the summer I promise. Other choices are the Honda CRF 450 and the Yamaha YZF 450 both stout 4 stroke dirt bikes. I was a die hard 2 stroke guy until I took my buddies Yammi through the dunes at Glamis. Since you obviously like power I'd stay away from the XL and DR they are seriously lacking in that dept. Anyway that's my 2 cents.

I have a 2002 DL-1000 to go along with the 02 Busa. If you are looking for a good road bike with off road capabilities then the DL might not be a bad choice. It compares to the BMW GS 1150 and the Triumph Tiger but with waaaayy more cojones. If you are looking for a more aggressive off roader that can be made street legal then check out the KTM 525, it's bad ass and for a few bucks it can be made legal. I'll have one before the end of the summer I promise. Other choices are the Honda CRF 450 and the Yamaha YZF 450 both stout 4 stroke dirt bikes. I was a die hard 2 stroke guy until I took my buddies Yammi through the dunes at Glamis. Since you obviously like power I'd stay away from the XL and DR they are seriously lacking in that dept. Anyway that's my 2 cents.
Thanks man, I have loved the V-strom since day one! I talked about getting one here and several people ditched on it, but I still like it. Yeah, that would be cool, but probably too heavy for some of the rough trails I was hoping to investigate.

I will look into the KTM, but can you explain how one makes a bike street legal? I thought that title or VIN would indicate that it was not a streetable bike...? Can the YZF or CRF be rode on the street?

Thanks

Here's the deal, the KTM comes with a title and an aftermarket kit is available to get it to street specs. All you would need to do is have it inspected if it's required in your area. A buddy of mine did it in NY and he hasn't had a problem yet. Now the CR and YZ take a little more work. You will have to fabricate your own lights, blinkers, etc, and since neither comes with a registerable title you'll have to get one. One way I have found is to have a mechanic friend put a lein on the bike. Once this is done the DMV will have to issue it a legit title. Then you will have to "buy" the bike from him and you'll be able to register it. Now I'm not 100% sure this will work in your area but I know a couple of guys who made their CR 500's street legal and that's what they told me. Again I know the KTM is an easy deal but the other bikes will take some looking into, but I feel it's way worth it to have an MX bike on the road.

Here's the deal, the KTM comes with a title and an aftermarket kit is available to get it to street specs. All you would need to do is have it inspected if it's required in your area. A buddy of mine did it in NY and he hasn't had a problem yet. Now the CR and YZ take a little more work. You will have to fabricate your own lights, blinkers, etc, and since neither comes with a registerable title you'll have to get one. One way I have found is to have a mechanic friend put a lein on the bike. Once this is done the DMV will have to issue it a legit title. Then you will have to "buy" the bike from him and you'll be able to register it. Now I'm not 100% sure this will work in your area but I know a couple of guys who made their CR 500's street legal and that's what they told me. Again I know the KTM is an easy deal but the other bikes will take some looking into, but I feel it's way worth it to have an MX bike on the road.
Sounds like a pain, but I can see the value. Check this one out. What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....ry=6711

The owner emailed me and told me it would cost $580 from KTM to make it street legal.... Thanks

Back