Dry itchy skin

Busaman5000

Donating Member
Registered
Anybody else's skin get really dry during winter? Dang, im itching so much people probably think I have fleas.

Anybody have some good home remedies?

Here is what i have been using on her in the winter months

extrapledge.jpg

me too, for years. last december i finally got some good lotion from bath & body works and its 100% cured. use it every other day.

My skin is TERRIBLY itchy in the winter as well. I've been to a couple of dermatologists over the years and the best OTC suggestions I can give is to...
Limit your exposure to overly hot showers and/or saunas. Long, hot showers, with nothing applied afterwards could be one of the worst things for your skin at this time of the year.
While you're still in the shower and before you've dried off, use baby oil, pat yourself dry, and then lotion up.
I know...it sounds like a lot. My thing was, if I had time to do all of that, I'd already have been doing it. When I stay consistant with it, I have no issues for a long time.
Cetaphyll (sp?) and Aquaphilic are excellent lotions...expensive, but very worth it.

Is it simply a matter of the air being very dry where you are? Does having a humidifier in the house help?

AmLactin....use it everyday right out of the shower after towel off.
Second best product i have used is Cetaphil.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will give the Lemon Pledge a try! lol

But I think III is right. I take long HOT showers. Thats probably whats causing it.

I take long HOT showers. Thats probably whats causing it.

For me, it's a terrible cycle. I live in the midwest and hate the cold. It's like the colder it gets, the hotter and longer my showers get. Applying lotion and other moisturizers gets me just outta sheer laziness. Like I said earlier, the longer I stick with the process, the better my skin feels and begins to heal any extremely dry areas. I also seem to find my way to the gym more in the winter, and I end up sitting in the sauna forever. I'd think I was doing myself justice taking a really long, hot shower and scrubbing down really good to get all the sweat off. The derm told me get my shower temp just over where I can stand it not being too cold (which I still always stretch), use my preference of a soap, lather and apply with my hands (no facerags or loofahs), rinse and moisturize as has been said above. Get in and get out, as she put it.

I have to say, you gotta be pretty in touch with yourself to emerge from the shower area in the gym lockerroom all glistening from baby oil with the bottle still in hand in front of a handful of dudes. I'm sure my fellow lockerroom mates probably think otherwise of me...I guess that just means they get outta the way and I can get in and outta there quicker. :laugh:

I had the same problem couple years ago, had a Dr. tell me try a tanning bed 3 times a week in the winter. The UV rays tighten up the skin and allows it to hold mosture longer. I since have had no more problems in the winter months.

Back