Dropped my bike now won’t run

Papa squidge

Registered
So while riding to work had to emergency break as I put my foot down to get balance slipped and dropped the bike on its right side (basically stationary drop)
I have crash bungs só damage was minimal.
after I got the bike back up it wouldn’t start and the starter clicked like a dead battery.
luckily I was on a hill so managed to roll down and bumpstart it but 2 minutes down the road it started riding rough clocks went dead and cut out and again won’t start same clicking noise but won’t fire.
had a mate give me a jumpstart fired up straight away but again 2/3 minutes and dead
I run the volt meter and it’s badly under charging.
could the fall have taken out the reg/rec? Or damaged the battery?
had no problems before with the bike and the reg/rec is fairly new but it was a cheap Chinese aftermarket part
Bike stranded at work any ideas guys?

Sounds like you may have damaged stator? You could do a quick check of battery connections as a simple rule out. What shape/condition of the battery? How old etc bike sat for awhile? Use a multimeter and check voltage of battery running and not running? I try to always rule out the simple stuff first.

You need to connect a jump battery or even another good battery and recheck the charge rate.
If still not charging, check the stator output at all 3 phases, follow the manual and perform idle test and 4000rpm test.
Also get rid of that cheap Chinese reg/rectifier and get an OEM unit fitted.
Sounds like loose battery terminal or failed battery.

You need to connect a jump battery or even another good battery and recheck the charge rate.
If still not charging, check the stator output at all 3 phases, follow the manual and perform idle test and 4000rpm test.
Also get rid of that cheap Chinese reg/rectifier and get an OEM unit fitted.
Sounds like loose battery terminal or failed battery.

I’ve checked the battery terminals no issue done a dealer mode check no codes
Volt charging at 11v at the moment will idle for 3/5 minutes then cut out
I have a spare reg/rec will swap it over and see what happens

I’ve checked the battery terminals no issue done a dealer mode check no codes
Volt charging at 11v at the moment will idle for 3/5 minutes then cut out
I have a spare reg/rec will swap it over and see what happens
The first thing to do is connect a jump pack or new fully charged battery.
Also charge and load test your battery to eliminate that as faulty or good.
Then check the stator AC voltage output from all 3 phases with motor running.
If that checks out as ok.... THEN check the connector plug to the reg/rec and then you will know you have a faulty reg/rec.
That is the correct order of testing, you can do it your way or you can systematically go through the right procedure... up to you.
Good luck.

The first thing to do is connect a jump pack or new fully charged battery.
Also charge and load test your battery to eliminate that as faulty or good.
Then check the stator AC voltage output from all 3 phases with motor running.
If that checks out as ok.... THEN check the connector plug to the reg/rec and then you will know you have a faulty reg/rec.
That is the correct order of testing, you can do it your way or you can systematically go through the right procedure... up to you.
Good luck.
It's also the common sense order to proceed, given location and expense of parts.

Ive seen a couple bikes this year that thr owners replaced the rectifier on with Chinese and shortly after I was replacing the stator. As kiwi said make sure you have a good battery or jump pack hooked up and test the stator as im gonna say there's a good chance that's the issue.

I look at it differently I guess....bike was running fine, fell over and is now not running fine....

I think it is something simple which has gone wrong.
I was thinking the same way until I read where the Chinese rectifier is fairly new which says he's had a charging issue somewhat recently. And by testing the stator it'll show if there's a bad connection right away.

I look at it differently I guess....bike was running fine, fell over and is now not running fine....

I think it is something simple which has gone wrong.
Yes, I know where you’re coming from with that, but when testing electrical issues taking guesses and working on a hunch is the wrong way of going about it.

Gotcha.
if it weren't for guessing and hunches, I'd never be able to fix anything...:lol:

I guess there is a little experience in there too....
Fair point. . . I also look at the most probable cause of an issue first, but when it comes to electrics and diagnosing faults, experience can point you in the right direction but you have to be so thorough in your approach to the diagnosis and repair.
Just saying.

Update
I replaced the reg/rec with and old one I had spare in the shed and problem sorted bikes running fine again
The Chinese reg/rec had pieces rattling inside so the fall must have shook components loose They cheap for a reason i guess.
bikes running and charging fine now
Thanks for the help guys

Update
I replaced the reg/rec with and old one I had spare in the shed and problem sorted bikes running fine again
The Chinese reg/rec had pieces rattling inside so the fall must have shook components loose They cheap for a reason i guess.
bikes running and charging fine now
Thanks for the help guys
Thanks for following up with what resolved your problem, glad to hear it’s fixed now

Back