Drone Strikes

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
I was curious what you guys think about the drone issue. Basically I don’t get the problem. Any police officer has the right to shoot you dead if they think they have probable cause in any street in the country right now. As long as they made an honest mistake, it’s fine if it turns out to be a bad shoot and is passed to the civil courts for resolution. Look at all the minorities that were shot to death for mistaken identity, should a police have to get a court order to fire their gun?
Why doesn’t the military have the same power to kill people they deem threats abroad? There is no difference between a police shooting a person who looks like they are attempting to threaten a bank or take hostages and the Air Force killing a person meeting apparently working with terrorists.
The big issue is oversight. There needs to be independent review of all drone strikes. That will limit abuse. Let’s face it, this is not a winning political issue for any administration, so if they are pushing for this power they probably need it. As with all power, it’s not the power that goes wrong it’s when we get slack in oversight that things get out of control.

I see no problem what so ever about killing an American citizen that is a known and documented supporter of terror or a terrorist organization. Of course, the approving authority (which I believe is POTUS, not sure though) of the strike would have to be 100% sure, and minimize or eliminate any collateral damage during the strike. This is just my opinion and an enemy is an enemy, no matter what country he or she is a citizen of.

Oath of Enlistment

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

I agree with Sous. :beerchug: I pledged that oath and will uphold it! 2001-Present USAF

Inside the US or Outside? To me that makes a difference.

Inside the US or Outside? To me that makes a difference.

In reference to the OP I was assuming that we were talking about outside the U.S. If the individual were inside the U.S., there are other means and organizations that the have authority and ability to apprehend them.

My only concern, which fallenarch brought up, is that proper due process is followed before an American is targeted by America.

The requirements under which someone could become a target of this program are vague enough that it scares me a bit...I'm pretty sure most of us have said something at some point which could be interpreted as being a possible threat, and thusly earn us a spot on the list.

I'm just curious at what point in time did it become a death sentence to not agree with the USA?
We hear 'a terrorist was killed today in xyz' and that's it. What exactly did that individual or group do to deserve a death sentence. Involved in an active plot to hurt or kill Americans here or abroad I'd say I'm ok with it. But just being in another country and sitting around a group talking bad about the USA I don't. As I believe we have our freedoms I believe others should be free to not agree with us. Our ways are not perfect.
It is worrisome to me how nothing more than a footnote is required after a drone strike.

I have a huge problem with Inside.

Me too, but I have to wonder... What happens when an American makes the naughty list for whatever reason, then travels outside the US? Does that make it open season on them?

I haven't had a good chance to read the documentation yet, but what I've heard makes it sound like this may be possible. :dunno:

My problem is with trust...I watched "The Terminator"....Drone or "Hunter Killer...."HK"? I used to trust that the government was a bunch of smart guys that did what they needed to do. However, today with the obvious agendas and polarization along with power grab.... We are @ the mercy of Obama, Biden & Holder to not shoot us by mistake, or some "glitch"? I'd guess it will be soon that the next "Ruby Ridge" episodes turn up and only a drone to blame....:banghead:

Me too, but I have to wonder... What happens when an American makes the naughty list for whatever reason, then travels outside the US? Does that make it open season on them?

I haven't had a good chance to read the documentation yet, but what I've heard makes it sound like this may be possible. :dunno:

If I'm an American citizen, and go to Pakistan and have lunch with Mullah Omar, I'd consider that free game...

The problem is when the 'grey area' starts....it's the same thing that the Dems demonized GWB over....

Too funny ......... :shutup: guess I'm off to see what's up with drones. But what I really find amusing at times is how our opinions change with the party sitting in office :laugh:

There is a giant, unbelievably huge, unbelievable difference between a police officer in a shooting situation and the FEDERAL government proactively taking someone out......

I'm just curious at what point in time did it become a death sentence to not agree with the USA?
We hear 'a terrorist was killed today in xyz' and that's it. What exactly did that individual or group do to deserve a death sentence. Involved in an active plot to hurt or kill Americans here or abroad I'd say I'm ok with it. But just being in another country and sitting around a group talking bad about the USA I don't. As I believe we have our freedoms I believe others should be free to not agree with us. Our ways are not perfect.
It is worrisome to me how nothing more than a footnote is required after a drone strike.

I don't believe that american citizens or even terriorists are killed without significant investigation. They can always be wrong but i think when the missle flies it is aimed at someone that deserves to eat it 99 times out of a 100 shots. There is still the possibility of collateral damage but I think they try to control it more than any army ever has. I'm not saying we're perfect but I think the cries of missles hitting innocent people are often propaganda. I do think many terrorists hide with civilians. When a drone hits suddenly they are all "innocent".

There is a giant, unbelievably huge, unbelievable difference between a police officer in a shooting situation and the FEDERAL government proactively taking someone out......

How so? (I'm not disagreeing with you, just asking from where you are coming. There are a lot of differences)

I have no issue with President Obama (or any other president for that matter) filling the graveyards over there with terrorist bodies. I don't even have a problem with killing US Citizens who take up residence with the enemy. What I do have a problem with is when the target is a US Citizen on foreign soil being targeted by one man calling the shots. I think this is a slippery slope that could end up coming home to haunt us.

I think I'd be okay with Killing US Citizens on Foreign Soil if the decision to kill an individual was required to pass by a committee in congress for approval prior to launching the missile. US Citizen or not, if the individual is actively fighting with the enemy he is fair game. Other than for US Citizens, if the military deems the target an enemy combatant, Get-R-Done!

War is a nasty game of killing them before they kill you!

Back