Driving on Suspended License

motogp08

Registered
Just for shids and giggles...I've got a friend who recently got his license taken away...(alcohol related charges).

For anyone who know's...what will happen if he is caught driving with that license suspension?

He thinks it will be a citation, but from what (I) understand, it's supposed to be a custodial arrest...

Does anyone know here?

In Illinois it is officer discretion. More times than not though it results in custodial arrest, especially if the reason for the suspension is alcohol related.

In Vt you would gey stuffed and cuffed.

60 day to 1 year suspended jail time.

Minimum 350 fine.

When they suspend you they mean it .

Except this guy cause he has ties to the community :

BARRE – A Williamstown man with a lengthy record of driving under the influence and without a license was allegedly caught doing both following a Sunday evening accident on South Main Street.

Less than 24 hours after the head-on collision that sent four others – three of them children – to the hospital, Eric Russell, 31, pleaded innocent to his fourth DUI, as well as a related charge of grossly negligent operation of a motor vehicle with serious injury resulting.

Both charges are felonies for which Russell, if convicted, could be sentenced to up to 15 years in prison, fined up to $5,000 and $15,000 respectively, or both.

Police said Russell's blood alcohol content was nearly three times the legal limit when the accident occurred.

Monday's arraignment occurred even as the driver of the other car, William Peterson, 40, of Barre, was recovering from what Kelly described as the first in what will likely be a series of surgeries on his leg.

"That left leg was just decimated," he said, explaining the femur was shattered and the knee, shin, heel and two toes were all broken.

Peterson, who also suffered a fractured sternum and a head injury in the accident, was initially transported to Central Vermont Medical Center in Berlin and later transferred to Fletcher Allen Health Care in Burlington.

Three children traveling in Peterson's car – 13-year-old twins Ty and Logan Avery and Shyla Peterson, 7 – were also taken to the hospital with assorted injuries. According to Kelly, it took 12 staples to close a head laceration suffered by Ty Avery, while his brother suffered a back injury and foot sprain. The younger Peterson escaped with bumps and bruises.

Court records indicate Russell, whose blood alcohol content was .259 – more than three times the legal limit – nearly an hour after the accident, may have suffered a mild concussion.

Washington County States Attorney Tom Kelly said Russell, who lost his license for life following his third DUI conviction five years ago, will likely be charged with driving while under suspension for a seventh time.

Citing Russell's lengthy record, the likelihood he is looking at serious jail time if convicted and the severity of the injuries sustained by occupants of the northbound car he allegedly plowed into shortly before 8:30 p.m. Sunday, Kelly asked Judge Brian Grearson to consider setting cash bail in the case.

"He (Russell) has not followed the rules of either the court … or the (state) Department of Motor Vehicles," Kelly said, grudgingly conceding Russell's "strong ties to the community."

Jeffrey Wilson, Russell's court-appointed lawyer, urged Grearson to take those ties into consideration when deciding whether to impose cash bail. He argued that Russell, a self-employed carpenter, could not afford to post bail and pay his bills.

"Money is extremely tight," he said, noting that Russell has never run from any of his earlier offenses.

"I would argue he (Russell) has no where else to go," Wilson said.

Grearson acknowledged as much.

"You're still here," he told Russell. "We continue to be plagued with you allegedly driving without a license."

Grearson opted not to set bail – choosing instead to release Russell on a host of conditions, including one that will require him to report daily to the Barre Police Department and another that imposes a 6:30 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew. Grearson ordered Russell not to drive or drink and instructed him to immediately enroll in substance abuse counseling.

Police, who were summoned to the scene of the accident in front of Lazer Wash on South Main Street at 8:30 p.m. Sunday, said when they arrived they found Russell's gray Ford Ranger pickup truck and Peterson's black Volkswagen Gulf locked together.

According to police, Russell who was heading south at the time, apparently swerved into the northbound lane slamming into Peterson's oncoming car.

Although both vehicles sustained extensive front-end damage, Kelly said Peterson's car and its occupants clearly got the worst of the exchange.

"His (Peterson's) car was no match for Mr. Russell's truck," Kelly said.

Russell, a 1996 graduate of Spaulding High School, was fined $200 when he was first convicted of DUI in 1998. Following his second DUI conviction in 2000 he served 10 days in jail as part of a suspended sentence of six months to two years. Russell was sentenced to one to five years following his third DUI conviction – a felony – in 2003.

Well here in Texas. If the cop is being nice he will not arrest the person. The vehicle in question WILL be impounded and a rather LARGE citation will be given.

I know this cause I just had to get a friend's bike out of impound due to his license being suspended.

250 - for the impound fees
not sure on the ticket price and he was lucky the cop didnt haul him to jail.

Here in Missouri they take you and your vehicle to jail. Big fine and impound/tow fees. You do it again and your looking at 30 days to a year in the county lockup.

hmmm...suspended D.L., on alchohol-related charges, and all he's thinking about is "what happens if i get caught driving again?" tell him he's guna need a good lawyer soon, so start shopping now.

methinks you need to find smarter friends....seriously.

not so sound like the proverbial d**k...I 'had' a friend who liked to spend as much time drinking in the bar as he did working in it; after 2-3 DUIs and jailtime and countless talks w/him I just distanced myself...got a call 3 mos. later when he was going in to serve time for fleeing the scene & Oper. w/susp. Lic....moron left work drunk n hit some innocent driver on the interstate on the way home, totalled both their cars but being drunk, he decided to take off on foot. He hid out for 3 days b4 I convinced his dumbazz to go in before things got worse...be a good friend, and buy your boy some bus tickets, or a skateboard-just keep him out from behind the wheel.

hmmm...suspended D.L., on alchohol-related charges, and all he's thinking about is "what happens if i get caught driving again?" tell him he's guna need a good lawyer soon, so start shopping now.

not so sound like the proverbial d**k...I 'had' a friend who liked to spend as much time drinking in the bar as he did working in it; after 2-3 DUIs and jailtime and countless talks w/him I just distanced myself...got a call 3 mos. later when he was going in to serve time for fleeing the scene & Oper. w/susp. Lic....moron left work drunk n hit some innocent driver on the interstate on the way home, totalled both their cars but being drunk, he decided to take off on foot. He hid out for 3 days b4 I convinced his dumbazz to go in before things got worse...be a good friend, and buy your boy some bus tickets, or a skateboard-just keep him out from behind the wheel.

Amen. what an azz. :moon:

If charged here, you can count on an additional year suspension and 3 months in the pokey for a third offense.... nothing against your buddy but probably not the guy to be hanging with if you are looking at a career in LE...

If charged here, you can count on an additional year suspension and 3 months in the pokey for a third offense.... nothing against your buddy but probably not the guy to be hanging with if you are looking at a career in LE...

I know...he's become quite the moron lately. :sarcasm:

I was just trying to clear this up, because the stupid shid was trying to convince me that it was a simple citation for this offense (Susp DL).

I figured it was arrestable because it didn't make any sense to me for someone to keep running around if they were busted for alcohol related charges, and were STILL driving on a Susp.

Well, maybe it's time for him to go Lawyer shopping...:laugh:

Oh, and to update you, the other day he was out at my place (my friend)...and we had a LEO go by while he was here...

I found it kindof odd that the cop would choose this particular day to go by, being as that friend of mine was over...:eh: perhaps big-brother is watching.:laugh:

Oh, he's not too worried about what happens if he's caught. He was pretty much swearing up-and-down that it would be a citation if caught.

He's a great friend, very loyal, fun to hang around...he just doesn't seem to think that rules apply to him...

I just wish there was a therapy for people with cranialrectalvitus...if you get what I mean.:whistle:

i didn't take the time to read through all the other post so this may have already been mentioned.

in Louisiana We have Officer descresion but me personally. it depende on if the person knew that their license was suspended. if you knew you were not to be driving. your going to jail unless you have a good excuse like some type of medical emergency. also in louisiana it will add a year to your suspension.

and how could your license be suspended and you not know?? It happened to me. I had two trucks at one time. my wife sent in the insurance payment for both trucks and the ins. company posted the payment to one account. leaving one truck uninsured. they will suspend your license for that and I got a letter in the mail one day notifying me that my license was suspended.

I got it straight with minimal headache but it could have been ugly if i wrecked my uninsured truck while driving under suspension and not knowing about it.

Oh, he's not too worried about what happens if he's caught.
He's a great friend, very loyal, fun to hang around...he just doesn't seem to think that rules apply to him...
I just wish there was a therapy for people with cranialrectalvitus...if you get what I mean.:whistle:

there's a great antidote for that disease...its called Jailtime and it sure as f&*k straightend my stupidness out real quik-after the 3rd or 4th time:banghead:
i speak from personal exp. as well here bro-drivin on a Susp. D.L. for any reason is rollin the dice on gettin a free ride to jail, at least for a few hours, on top of the gettin pulled over...which translates into you having a whole day screwed up for one oppourtunity to get behind the wheel to do-what?
if he's not goin to work or pick up his children from daycare-he needs to be riding shotgun and paying friends to drive him EVERYWHERE. its cheaper.

In SC ( you need to search the web for the law in your buddies state ) 1st offense with some exceptions ( all failure to appear or pay go straight to jail ) big azz fine or 30 days.
2nd offense double the big azz fine and time, 3rd and subsequent double fine again and a mandatory 90 days.

He needs to get a provisional license for going to work etc. and stay off the road.

These folks always do stupid shid like speeding, etc. and get popped, never fails.

In Vt you would get stuffed and cuffed...... ???

Or would that be cuffed, and stuffed.... ??? :oldcool:

OKAY-okay...my bad...

Back