Drivetrain backlash

rideanslide

Registered
Hi, I could do with some advice, help or divine inspiration. I have an 03 busa and have recently noticed that when the bike is on its centre stand & I select 1st gear (engine off) there is a lot of backlash when I move the rear wheel, The backlash is on the gear box side of the engine sprocket and is aprox moving through 1/4 of a turn. I have checked & adjusted the backlash adjuster as per manual but no difference. Is this normal & have I just become paranoid after discovering it or is it more sinister & needs delving into deeper. Your thoughts, any thoughts would be much appreciated. ???

How many miles are on the chain? Lubed and adjusted properly? You may have a tight spot/kink on the chain.

Yeah good chain & well lubed, the play seems to be in the gear box or clutch dunno if its always been there but its bothering me a tad now that I've noticed it.

Perfectly normal. Gear engagement dogs have space between them to allow the gears to engage. The play you notice is the gap.

Perfectly normal. Gear engagement dogs have space between them to allow the gears to engage. The play you notice is the gap.

As said, there is some play.

I believe it may be Brock's performance that sells a clutch mod to remove some of the extra play.

I would also say to check your cush drive in your wheel but you stated the play seemed to be up front.

Back