Drive Chain Replaced

Very nice,and helpfull,thankx for taking the time.
beerchug.gif

I see a big problem here... maybe it is just me... but in the image below, the quad-oring is smashed out of the link..

Every EK chain I have gotten in the last couple years has a little package with 2 metal spacers *look like a FAT E.. Sorry I have looked all over for any old ones, and I do not have any... but they are meant to control the pin swedge.

No need for micrometer or calipers, just mash the pins down, pull the spacers and roll... Ted, were there no spacers with your chain master link kit?-- if not, call whom ever you got it from and make them send you a new master and spacers.. (many distributors cut and package their own EK chains)

oring showing below....

chain.jpg

I see a big problem here... maybe it is just me... but in the image below, the quad-oring is smashed out of the link..

Every EK chain I have gotten in the last couple  years has a little package with 2 metal spacers *look like a FAT E.. Sorry I have looked all over for any old ones, and I do not have any... but they are meant to control the pin swedge.

No need for micrometer or calipers, just mash the pins down, pull the spacers and roll...  Ted, were there no spacers with your chain master link kit?-- if not, call whom ever you got it from and make them send you a new master and spacers.. (many distributors cut and package their own EK chains)

oring showing below....
Good eye...

The chain was a take off from another busa with very few miles. The master link I bought from the local stealership down in S FL.

Thanks for pointing out that little detail, now it's going to bother me, it only has about 5k miles on it, I wonder what it looks like now...

No spacers..... if I had them, there would have been a picture of them. That would have made it much easier to do....

Hey guys - awesome post as always. For Mr. Bogus if you are still following this thread (will send you a contact) - What do you mean by "spacers" that are shaped like a Fat E? And what is pin swedge? How much it mushrooms? My chain is near the stretch limits as per the manual and I'm close to replacing it. I would greatly appreciate it if you expanded your comments above - like no need for calipers or micrometer and the spacers. Do the spacers that weren't provided control the variables that Powers739 had measured throughout the process? Final question is ... having replaced the chains you mentioned ... What do you recommend for a chain for pleasure (normal riding)? Thanks!! Deadeye

pOWERS739 This was a great post. THANKS for taking the time to show us how to do the chain break. You have motivated me to go out and get the tools to do it myself tomorrow. I have the extensions frm ATC and dying to get them on. Well thanks again.
ANT

The "E" clips dimensions the chain link width at a fixed spacing that allows the "O" or "X" rings not to be smashed. They are the only thing that contains the grease/lubricant from the roller pins. The manual says to stake the pins at .215-.230". Use the venier calipers being careful not to go too much in which case the pin head will crack or too little and the side plate will walk off causing an unhappy experience. I guess you would say it's the opposite of a Happy Ending. Wardie

Oh man thanks guys! answered all my questions. I will be working in this over the christmas and will post pics as I do. This is to ensure someone will stop me if I am to do anything wrong!!
Posted via Mobile Device

The master link is the only place you can do anything wrong....and the chain adjustment.
Good luck!
Check in often...Lots of guys to help here.

^ there is a stretch measurement you can take. I believe it's in the manual.
It's not unheard of to get 24k miles out of chain if it's cared for properly and not abused.

This is a great post. Love all the measurements to verify if its correct. Need to swap a chain this week. Thanks for the write up!!

Back