Dripping a small amout out of the oil plug

Chango

Registered
Ok walked out to my bike and there was a small circle right under the oil plug. I thought I felt a hit on the underside last night. So I'm not right thinking the worst. Well check my oil level and she is still on point. I run my finger over the plug and a few drops came off. On the way home stoped to get gas and it seemed dry? It's night so I can really see anything but I'll go check it out in the morning. If she is dripping a little should I give the plug a small turn? I don't change my own oil after hearing how easy it is to strip it. Do I run the risk of stripping it by tightening it a little? Or you think I should just leave it the hell alone. It's a very little bit of oil and it is coming from the plug. Thanks in advance

Take a good look at it for damage. You are going to change your oil eventually. Either way I would pull it and see what's up. Any oil dripping in front of your rear wheel is not a good thing. They might have re-used your crush washer the last tome your oil was changed.

Bottomed out and hit the oil pan? I'd check for damage. As far as fear of striping out the plug.....well I'd much rather invest in a torque wrench and know I am doing it properly rather than trusting someone else I'm paying to do.

Too many horror stories and first hand witnessing of butch mechanics in the past. From missing bits to over tightening to just a complete lack of integrity/quality of work.

Bottomed out and hit the oil pan? I'd check for damage. As far as fear of striping out the plug.....well I'd much rather invest in a torque wrench and know I am doing it properly rather than trusting someone else I'm paying to do.

Too many horror stories and first hand witnessing of butch mechanics in the past. From missing bits to over tightening to just a complete lack of integrity/quality of work.

I have to agree. I trust nobody but me working on my bike.

You could always use some RTV.
I use this on all my oil changes as a precaution.
I have a torque wrench and the last change I did I only put 11-12 ft/lb on the plug bolt. I think 15 is spec.
I have no drips and no issues, and i reuse the washer. I clean it off real well and I let mine drip for an hour or 2 as I'm in no rush.
Wipe as much oil out of the threads as possible and then apply a little of the RTV near the base of the bolt
and hand screw it in snug and then use the torque wrench. Then let it dry for a few hours or more. Good rainy day project.

Yep you better learn to do it yourself - if a shop stripped your threads they might deny it or try to plug it and not tell you etc.
No one will care about YOUR bike as much as you do.

P1000073.jpg
P1000065.jpg

I think the washer is a crush type so each time your change the oil a new washer should be used. I have never used anything but that and no leaks in 5+ years. One thing you can do is use a regular wrench but slide your hand up around the neck. This will greatly reduce your leverage on the bolt. Snug it up tight. See if this leaks still. If you own a bike you need to know how to change the oil yourself. Oil in a bike runs through the clutch and transmission as well as the engine, and those are really dirty places. I change the oil every 2000-2500 miles and before any long trip. So get a filter wrench (or use the filters with a nut welded to them) and a torque wrench.

Another possibility is the oil is too full, have you checked that?

Hmmm, I've been fighting a leaky oil drain plug forever. Might try the RTV. If that doesn't work Helicoil, then the dreaded oil pan :banghead:

Update! Grabbed my wrench a slight turn no more leak! Thank God! I have my shop guy do my oil so if it gets stripped he will fix it free. Plus he gives her a all on inspection. Can't beat that with my schedule!

Glad you got it fixed. If you do decide to change your oil use the green synthetic washer. I have a very hard time crushing an OEM crush washer at the recommended torque spec. The synthetic washers crush much easier and seal better. $4 for two at the auto parts store.

Back