Dressing Rotors

SnapAttack

Donating Member
Registered
Searched but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

In cars we turn the rotors when changing out pads. Should we or can we "deglaze" the rotors on the Busa when changing out pads for better contact? If so, how is it done.

Side note: Anything to watch out for when changing out the pads/lines?

Thanks.

On motorcycles, you don't turn the rotors - some are directional with the cooling holes anyhow.  What you do is clean the rotors before installing pads.  Lots of different ways to do it but I still find that some fine grit sandpaper and water (with small circular scuffing motion) works just swell - then you dry it off of course.

I've also had great luck with the Flex-hone cleaner that attaches to your hand-held drill.  Makes them come out real clean and is super fast.  Then, you can reuse it for the next time, too.

As for dressing up the rotors, I guess that you don't mean powder coating the centers?  Yeah, that's cool to color match your bike.  Or purchase new rotors with the centers already anodized or chromed out.
super.gif

Changing pads & lines, not too big of a problem just take the weight off the front end and keep it off until the calipers are back on so that they align. Changing lines, important to use a bleeding tool like a mityvac to force the fluid through the line... these are thin tubes and unfortunately, gravity won't do it (it's not a car). I'm sure there are other sections with tips on this but if you need help feel free to contact me.

I just installed some Galfer SS lines. Routing the lines isn't hard, just make sure you have clearance the wheel from side to side and compressing/decompressing the front suspension.

Bleeding took a long time, I didn't have any cool vacuum device to help. I just did it the old fashion way, squeezing the lever.

Back