Draining the fuel tank

04HappyBus

Registered
OK the weather is going south here in MN. I store my bike inside the house for the winter. I drain the tank before it goes inside to avoid, um, accidents (it sits in the basement where pilot lights roam for the water heater, etc.)

With past bikes I've just drained the carbs, the tank and then run the bike to clear out the last bit of fuel. The fuel-injected 'Busa is new territory for me. All those hoses and a fuel pump!

Which of the hoses under the fuel tank do you unhook to drain out the gas while the tank is still on the bike? The shop manual shows you how to take off the tank but not how to drain it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

where are you storing it?

Ive actually seen some tanks rust up from sitting a long time with nothing in it. I know they have a coating on them but if there is a weak spot on the coating you could start to get rust and make more of a problem down the road.

I store all my bikes in the basement (walkout patio doors so they roll right in). The area of the basement they sit in is unfinished. They park maybe 20 feet away from the utility area where the water heater, furnace, etc. are located so the pilot light for the water heater, furnace burners, etc. are around. It's not like they sit right next to it, but I play it safe.

I've done this with my other bikes for 12+ years and never had rust problems inside the gas tanks. I just don't like the thought of 10-15 gallons of octane sitting down there when I can see natural gas pilot lights across the way...

So how DO you drain the gas out?
I'm getting an'03 on Tuesday and since the wife has decided to seek greener pastures, I'm thinking that the livingroom,,,or better yet,,my bedroom would be a good place for the bike!
Thanks,
RR

Obviously the tank has to be vented.
Wont there be fumes?
In a garage that's not really a problem, but in the livingroom I'm not sure I want to be smelling gas.
AAAssjani.gif

Thanks!
Rob

OK here is how it works:

Step 1: add Sta-bil or other fuel storage additive to the gas in the tank. Take a short hop around the neighborhood to ensure the Sta-bil gets into the fuel lines, injectors, etc. 5 or 10 minute ride should do it

Step 2: prop up the fuel tank and unhook the fuel line at the base of the pump. It has a plastic quick-connect on the '04 model. Hook up a drain hose to the pump outlet.

Step 3: Turn the fuel pump on and off with the engine kill switch or ignition switch. Each flick of the switch pumps out fuel. Repeat as necessary until the fuel pump doesn't squirt out any more fuel. IF you have a lot of gas in the tank (like 2 or more gallons) give your battery and fuel pump a few breaks to cool down from repeated cranking.

Step 4: Once tank is empty fire the bike back up and run it until the fuel injectors are empty. If there is a little gas still in the line, as long as you treated it with Sta-bil you should be OK.

Step 5: Park it where you want indoors. You may get an initial whiff of gas from the tank vent, but once the bike warms to room temperature it should go away.

Step 6: Wait impatiently for spring and in the meantime install all the trick parts in the comfort of your own home.

I've kept all my bikes in the house for during winter for the past 10 years and never had any trouble with gas smells or rust in the tanks. The key is as long as the room you store the bike in keeps decent temperature and is relatively dry (i.e. - don't store it in the bathroom or sauna) you won't get rust.

The Gas tank comes off relatively easy. Put it anywhere. Pull few rubber hoses on back. Quickrelease connection on fuel pump line. Electrical jack connector Fuel pump voltage and gas meter. Four bolts on the back hinge.

If you leave the gas in there all winter with stabil-a-fuel....will that hurt anything, I like to run my bike about once every two weeks so the is no corrosion anywhere in the motor and to make sure the battery is getting juice....

Back