Dragon's Tail ride

Professor

Hayabusa Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
Picked up the Busa from DR1300R on Thursday. I was vacationing in the Des Moines area, so it was only about 3 hours (one way) to pick it up. So it rained most of the day Thursday. That was to be expected. Ok, on to the Dragon’s tail. Went riding in the Des Moines area a bit on the weekend. Was looking for a few curves. Living in Oklahoma city, you always look for curves. With the wife following on her Shadow, we headed to an area that looked promising from the map. Then it happened. I found signs pointing to the “dragon’s tail†hmmmmm……. I thought it was 800-1000 miles away…….. I turned around and headed back and to take the turnoff. I got a better look at the sign and it actually said “Dragoon’s Trail†close enough for me! Nice ride just NW of Des Moines. We took the scenic train ride from Boone as well. Perfect day for riding on Sunday.

All in all, put a bit over 400 miles on the bike. It draws more attention than I expected. Even at the Harley shop in Des Moines, a Harley Rider came over to ask questions about it. Leaving the Knoxville Nationals (sprint car race) last night a group was chanting “Hayabusa†as we were stuck in traffic leaving near the stadium. The wife is a bit hurt, as she is usually the one getting the attention.

Initial observations†The bike is set up to my taste very well. The pegs and the Genmar risers feel great. The seat may need some work however. After 60 miles or so, it started getting a bit uncomfortable. I think I’ll order a Tobin later in the week. From everything I read here, I didn’t expect much out of the head light. I didn’t get much out of it either! The HID should be waiting on me when I get back home. It needs to be OEM. In the curves, I could out ride the headlight @ 50mph, 65-70 on the straights. I installed the GPS and it worked like a champ. I need to hardwire it when I get some time. A set of mirror spacers should help me see past my elbows a bit more.

Overall the bike is close to perfection. I was taking it fairly easy and getting 40-45mpg. One small burst in second left a 91mph top speed on the gps. Man the feeling will be an addiction. I had been on a couple of zx11s for several thousand miles in the early 90s. In the last year I had borrowed a Blackbird and Interceptor to try out. I know I made the right choice! I was lucking to find a bike that was modded to my taste. I’m sure I change a few things, but most of it has already been done for me. Doyle, I’ll take care of it. Thanks Again! I’ll even post a couple of pictures when I get back, as required, of course!

Guess I'd better start packing up for the trip home!

"Close" to perfection ... ? Its a Hayabusa. Bikes don't come any more perfect than that
mad.gif
!

Heh, congrats playa. And the 40-45 mpg thing. That'll drop drastically once you get comfortable with her, if you know what I mean  
race.gif

Enjoy.

Need to see you run on your home turf sometime.

I'll put in my schedule for 09.

Hopefully Capt. host again.

Bash 08 will be the best yet.

Back