Dragon Closed 'til Sept 1st!

Every now and then TN SHP decides to enforce the rules. Usually happens when there are a bunch of wrecks in a short time frame and they want to slow people down.

Meh. If they really wanted to, they would enforce it all the time. When I've been there, I haven't really seen them around (knock on wood)

Exactly! I'm up there like every other week in the Summer and have never had a run-in with them. Don't act like a doofus and you'll be fine.

Just wear an orange 'GO VOLS' shirt over your leather and your good to go. Its a REALLY high price to pay for some protection, but an option none the less...

hey guys just a suggestion here but there is a road here in east t.n thats almost as good as the dragon not quite as legendary but its u.s 421, '' THE SNAKE'' shady valley t.n just outside of elizabethton t.n trust me its awsome, youtube it and see some videos of the twisties there!!

Last edited by a moderator:
hey guys just a suggestion here but there is a road here in east t.n thats almost as good as the dragon not quite as legendary but its u.s 421, '' THE SNAKE'' shady valley t.n just outside of elizabethton t.n trust me its awsome, youtube it and see some videos of the twisties there!!
- Hometrack Group on The Snake US421[/url]

Cool! About how far from Robbinsville is that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Omar - this from Brad at dealsgap.com

Wednesday March 24

WARNING FALSE INFORMATION BEING PUT OUT BY TDOT AND BEING REPORTED ON OTHER WEB SITES. Ok folks TDOT has confirmed that 1 Sep is NOT I say again NOT the expected reopen date for The Dragon. There twitter page is linked directly to there electronic message system for the highway. They have to put a date on it for the system to work so they just picked that one. I talked with them and they do not have a date. The contract will be awarded on Monday and that is when the Officale time schedual will be set. Again, 1 Sep is misinformation. I will post up the real info as soon as TDOT calls me.

Brad

More good info at dealsgap.com to be found. Seems Brad is really keeping tabs on things and the states appear willing to work with each other so perhaps most of US129 can be opened for the season. There's no need for the roadblock to be placed where it's currently at.

From TDOT........

Released on Thu, Mar 25, 2010 - 1:24 pm under Media Advisories Road Closures Transportation KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – Work to clear a rockslide that closed U.S.-129/SR-115 is expected to begin early April. The Tennessee Department of Transportation will let an emergency contract to clear the slide on Monday, March 29. TDOT qualified two specialty contractors, Pacific Blasting Demolition Ltd. and Phillips & Jordan, Inc., to bid on the project. Both contractors offer specialized experience in rockslide clearance and stabilization that is needed to repair the substantial and complex slide on U.S.-129/SR-115.

The emergency contract is expected to be awarded to one of the two specialty contractors on Monday, March 29 with work expected to begin no later than April 5. This will allow contractors time to transport specialized equipment to the site of the slide in Blount County.

TDOT’s contract has a completion date of July 31, 2010.

Meanwhile, detours remain in place while the stretch of road known as the Dragon is closed from the slide area to the North Carolina state line. Motorists are advised to continue to monitor the TDOT website at Tennessee Department of Transportation for updates and detour details. TDOT is also on Twitter. For up to the minute traffic information in Knoxville and the Tri-Cities follow us on Twitter at Knoxville511 (Knoxville511) on Twitter. For statewide travel information follow TN511 (TN511) on Twitter.
###

For More Information Contact:
Yvette Martinez
TDOT Region 1 Community Relations Officer
865-594-0161
Yvette.Martinez@tn.gov

Cool! About how far from Robbinsville is that?

its a pretty good little ride from robinsville but i live about in the middle of the two,you should be able to google map it or mapquest and see how far it actually is from one another,but let me tell ya its worth the ride its alot like deals gap they have a good sized old timey like store that has a restaurant in it, sells t-shirts ,gas and a couple of awsome roads leading up to it

Snake looks cool, but lots of driveways on the first part at least.

Last edited:
Phillips and Jordan is based out of Robbinsville. Someone should go make friends with them.....

Snake looks cool, but lots of driveways on the first part at least.

when you first pull out of the store heading into the snake there are driveways ,its kinda residential but once you get back to it its just like the dragon , back in the wilderness:thumbsup:

I haven't seen this mentioned, BUT....

If the whole org is out on "other" roads, let's preach caution on them also. I know there is a bunch of safety talk regarding the dragon for first timers. But the dragon is low speed riding. The "other" roads, not so much.

Guard rails at triple digits don't mix (so I've been told).

IMHO, stupid hurts, but "group stupid" is disasterous.

Chris

If the whole org is out on "other" roads, let's preach caution on them also. I know there is a bunch of safety talk regarding the dragon for first timers. But the dragon is low speed riding. The "other" roads, not so much.

Chris

Very good point!!!!! :thumbsup:

Chris

Excellent point! A Busa can reach deeeep triple digits on the Cherohala Skyway, but there's almost always a 20 MPH turn coming right up. That's just one example.

So youre saying you're gonna be too slow to keep up this year Chris? and you're giving us excuses ahead of time too! How thoughtful..:poke::poke::rofl::rofl:

So youre saying you're gonna be too slow to keep up this year Chris? and you're giving us excuses ahead of time too! How thoughtful..:poke::poke::rofl::rofl:

heh, well we dont need any excuses for you ahead of time, you provide all we need real time :poke: :rofl:

Omar - this from Brad at dealsgap.com

Wednesday March 24

WARNING FALSE INFORMATION BEING PUT OUT BY TDOT AND BEING REPORTED ON OTHER WEB SITES. Ok folks TDOT has confirmed that 1 Sep is NOT I say again NOT the expected reopen date for The Dragon. There twitter page is linked directly to there electronic message system for the highway. They have to put a date on it for the system to work so they just picked that one. I talked with them and they do not have a date. The contract will be awarded on Monday and that is when the Officale time schedual will be set. Again, 1 Sep is misinformation. I will post up the real info as soon as TDOT calls me.

Brad

More good info at dealsgap.com to be found. Seems Brad is really keeping tabs on things and the states appear willing to work with each other so perhaps most of US129 can be opened for the season. There's no need for the roadblock to be placed where it's currently at.

one of the bad things here is that im afraid that politics will be played here. seems to me. just to me mind you, that tn gov office does not like the dragon. maybe to many complaints of bikes. not enough rev from all the visitors since most go to nc. i dont know. Problem is that the bottom line is that this is one road of many that has this problem right now. And its probably not traveled as much as other roads that have slides. I hope that tn will take up nc on the offer of getting things cleaned up quick. everyone benifits if they do. communities on both ends but escpecially nc side suffer greatly if they dont. :please:

one of the bad things here is that im afraid that politics will be played here. seems to me. just to me mind you, that tn gov office does not like the dragon. maybe to many complaints of bikes. not enough rev from all the visitors since most go to nc. i dont know. Problem is that the bottom line is that this is one road of many that has this problem right now. And its probably not traveled as much as other roads that have slides. I hope that tn will take up nc on the offer of getting things cleaned up quick. everyone benifits if they do. communities on both ends but escpecially nc side suffer greatly if they dont. :please:

and that is probably why the NC gov. is getting involved a great deal to try and get the TN gov. to get stuff sorted out. As was mentioned at one point, once people change their habits from going over the mountain to the TN side for shopping, they are very unlikely to revert back once the road is open again.

On Friday we will welcome Sen Snow, Rep Roger West, Graham County Commissioner Steve Odum rep's from the NC Governors office, Congressmen Heath Shulers office, NCHP,NCDOT and reps from TDOT and THP to see if we can offer enough help to TN so they can feel it would be safe to reopen just the Dragon until the rockslide is cleared

Back