Dragging clutch

dnstommy

Registered
I was just at Exoticycle and had a clutch mod and 6 inches added to the bike. Well after it was done Johnny and I were real tired so I paid him and left. Well the clutch feels fine and engages at the right place, but it is REALLY dragging. When I am slowing down it is real hard to get it to go from 3-2-1. Once I am in 1st it wont go into neutral. I have to push so hard that I skip all the way to 2nd.

Anyone had this. Anything I can fix? Like I said it engages about 1/2 way out and that's normal, but it just drags. Stock clutches. Just removed the slipper, put in a solid member, shortened posts and new springs.

I would try and bleed the clutch system.
Flush some new fluid through.
If there is any air in it, those would be the symptoms.

I was just at Exoticycle and had a clutch mod and 6 inches added to the bike. Well after it was done Johnny and I were real tired so I paid him and left. Well the clutch feels fine and engages at the right place, but it is REALLY dragging. When I am slowing down it is real hard to get it to go from 3-2-1. Once I am in 1st it wont go into neutral. I have to push so hard that I skip all the way to 2nd.

Anyone had this. Anything I can fix? Like I said it engages about 1/2 way out and that's normal, but it just drags. Stock clutches. Just removed the slipper, put in a solid member, shortened posts and new springs.
Did you bleed the system when you were completed......

No, but we didn't unhook any of the connections for the clutch.

Air can get in just by taking it off.
The piston on the slave can move a bit and then the air is in. (happened to me)
Try and bleed it.
Easiest and fastest way to rule it out.

pack might be too tight? were any fibers changed? anything done to modify pack height at all? just sounds like excessive friction in the pack as the thing engages like it should but will not disengage correctly.. debris, lack of oil, pack too tight, bent fiber or steel...

Did you call the shop? might just tell you to do a drag race launch and put some heat in that sucker a couple times.. :whistle:

(do make sure all the bolts are tight...)

Last edited:
pack might be too tight? were any fibers changed? anything done to modify pack height at all? just sounds like excessive friction in the pack as the thing engages like it should but will not disengage correctly.. debris, lack of oil, pack too tight, bent fiber or steel...

Did you call the shop? might just tell you to do a drag race launch and put some heat in that sucker a couple times.. :whistle:

(do make sure all the bolts are tight...)

All the clutches are the same. Nothing new. Just a welded inner, shorter pedestals and 4 heavy springs.

Pull in your clutch lever and watch the sprocket cover to see if it is moving slightly

Its not moving because I got the clutch slave brace when I did the clutch mod.

I am going to bleed it and see if that helps. If it doesn't I might move to 3 heavy. I talked to Johnny and he says that all the 08's drag a little when you up the spring pressure. Lets hope it is air in the line.

It's the heavy springs moving your slave cylinder. Make sure the slave brace isn't allowing any movement. Had the same problem with heavy springs, it was better with 3 stock 3 heavy, but still dragged. I went back to stock til I get a slave support.

It's the heavy springs moving your slave cylinder. Make sure the slave brace isn't allowing any movement. Had the same problem with heavy springs, it was better with 3 stock 3 heavy, but still dragged. I went back to stock til I get a slave support.
billet cover? :)

I see Ryan has a one piece cover (surely a lot easier than the multi piece unit but it is also about $100 more)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back