Dragging Clutch after transmission rebuild

celticBandit

Registered
Hi Guys, quick question for you. I've rebuilt my transmission and also put a new Suzuki clutch and springs and the clutch Mod spacer in there. I still haven't started the bike as I have the exhaust, radiators and tank to put on yet.

Thing is, if I put the bike in 1st gear and pull in the clutch, the back wheel is really hard to turn. I have bled the clutch and this improved things marginally but the clutch is still dragging. This is the first time I've changed the clutch plates, everything looks like it's in correctly, I've tripple-checked.

Is this normal due to the new clutch having thicker plates than an old one? and as soon as I run the bike the clutch will bed in?

Thanks
Tony

Hey Tony, have a look at my latest post re my new clutch . . .

"Just looked in the service manual at the clutch plate installation sequence, there are different thickness steel pales AND fiber plates that need to be placed in the correct location in the order sequence.
It would be so easy to get this wrong if you did NOT look at the service manual section for the clutch installation, or even the parts listing exploded view, which both show the correct order of the plates. "

Are you sure you assembled the clutch plates in the correct order with the plates of differing thickness in the correct position in the stack?

Hey Tony, have a look at my latest post re my new clutch . . .

"Just looked in the service manual at the clutch plate installation sequence, there are different thickness steel pales AND fiber plates that need to be placed in the correct location in the order sequence.
It would be so easy to get this wrong if you did NOT look at the service manual section for the clutch installation, or even the parts listing exploded view, which both show the correct order of the plates. "

Are you sure you assembled the clutch plates in the correct order with the plates of differing thickness in the correct position in the stack?

Hi Kiwi, yep I had the manual and followed everything to a tee. Even the outer fibre plate is offset from the others. Nearly missed that bit :-D

Normal. Go out on the highway, third gear, pull the clutch, rev and slowly release clutch to cause some slipping. Do this three or four times over a few miles so you don’t create too much heat. Problem will be gone.

Normal. Go out on the highway, third gear, pull the clutch, rev and slowly release clutch to cause some slipping. Do this three or four times over a few miles so you don’t create too much heat. Problem will be gone.

Thanks Dennis, I've just started her up while ago and looks like it's normal. As soon as the plates get a bit of heat into them they sort themselves out. Should improve after a few runs.

Back