Draggin' knee on a busa?

RedlineStands

Donating Member
Registered
I know Kevin Varner of Mr Cycles (Vman1300) can do it and after having rode one myself I have a great respect for the abilities of any rider who can get a busa that far over. So..... who else on this board has successfully drug their knee on the big dog?

Ian
www.redlinestands.com
04 R1

I've gotten it over 3 times. After each time my alarm clock sounds and wakes me up though. I can't explain it.

Not yet, but seen it done. I want to be able to feel my legs for the next couple of years if you know what i mean
smile.gif

looking into geeting slider pucks for my leathers. then i`m going low
super.gif

I am trying as often as possible, but it takes the right corners. Here in Arizona all too often they are littered with sand, rocks, gravel etc.. I have leathers now, as soon as I get some pucks I will be out trying to get it down there.
FWIW, I did get drag knee (and ripped my jeans open) on the TTR-50E I bought my son for Christmas
smile.gif
Was trying to get the break-in period over with before he gets here and see's it, scrape and there went the jeans, luckily no skin.

Ive done it, Lambs done it, Al's done it. I just dont make contact with my knee cause I dont have leathers or pucks lol. Just find a good corner, banked or not. And get off the bike, and stick yer knee out....easy day lol. You can only lean it so far in certin corners before the Mid's and the lower portion of your fairings will scrape as well. So be careful, the busa was not designed for that so you will do more damage quicker than you realize if your unaware of the leaning angle.

Haven't put my knee down but I know I can , I just don't have any pucks on my pants. Here's a pic of the little spikes on my fairing . They are worn a little on both sides . Haven't scraped anything else yet . I seen the fairing will hit on a friends bike.

xcgxv.JPG

I'm on one knee when I polish my wheels and frame
laugh.gif

Not my cup of tea

There are plenty of members that can!!!
bowdown.gif

(BiG-T @ Dec. 03 2006,12:39) I've gotten it over 3 times. After each time my alarm clock sounds and wakes me up though. I can't explain it.
laugh.gif
I have that same dream!

I hear VaBusa has had to replace her pucks a few times...

If you are planning on dragg'in knee more than a few times, than I'd suggest tweaking on your suspension. You WILL run into ground clearance problems if you leave it stock. I've ohlin's internals in the front forks with a .950 kg/mm spring rate, I weigh 165lbs. Also, I raised the rear an inch, run a 190/55 series rear tire and added some comp and reb to the stock shock.
wink.gif

Charles, im gonna need you to help me tweak my suspension for some more vigerous mountain carving. I have the +1 Dogbones already, just need to put them on. Dont have the tools to do that tho.

(V8N3T @ Dec. 03 2006,18:01) Charles, im gonna need you to help me tweak my suspension for some more vigerous mountain carving. I have the +1 Dogbones already, just need to put them on. Dont have the tools to do that tho.
Use the preload adjustment to set your ride height, on stock springs and your weight I'm betting your preload will be cranked all the way or almost all the way in. Comp and rebound are a little harder...
wink.gif

(Charlesbusa @ Dec. 03 2006,19:57) If you are planning on dragg'in knee more than a few times, than I'd suggest tweaking on your suspension. You WILL run into ground clearance problems if you leave it stock. I've ohlin's internals in the front forks with a .950 kg/mm spring rate, I weigh 165lbs. Also, I raised the rear an inch, run a 190/55 series rear tire and added some comp and reb to the stock shock.
wink.gif
Hey Charles, I'm your exact weight, what settings do you have your suspension set on?

I'm lowered one notch on dogbones on the rear, and 3/4" up front with Pingel bushings. I've only got about 1/8" chicken strips left, I don't know if it will go any further without dragging things...
wow.gif

I finally got pucks and was gonna get them scraped in, but the weather went to crap and I'll hafta wait a few more months. The roads are either too wet or too cold for riding like that now
mad.gif

I've been to within a couple inches of dragging knees, (as well as cans) but without pucks that's as far as I go.
I used to get a knee down all the time on the street on my Gixxer 750, but that's a whole different story.

(Charlesbusa @ Dec. 03 2006,17:57) If you are planning on dragg'in knee more than a few times, than I'd suggest tweaking on your suspension.  You WILL run into ground clearance problems if you leave it stock.  I've ohlin's internals in the front forks with a .950 kg/mm spring rate, I weigh 165lbs.  Also, I raised the rear an inch, run a 190/55 series rear tire and added some comp and reb to the stock shock.  
wink.gif
Not intending to thread-jack here but this is kinda related as I'm trying to get over far enough to drag a knee or two.

Charlesbusa.. which 190/55 tire are you running? Is this a street or race tire?

I have tweaked my suspension and raised the rear almost 2" when you combine the 1" dog bones and the spring preload. I'm 6'1" and I am on my tip toes at a stop, the bike rides that high now. I still have the factory rear sets but I removed the peg feelers because I was scrapping them (along with my toes) and was afraid they would upset the bike if they hung hard enough. I hope I'm up high enough to stay off the fairings and I'm actually scrubbing the edge of the tire tread where the arrows and the michelin man is but Im not sure if this is actual stickage or where it runs when the tire slips.

I'm currretly on Mich PP's but I'm experiencing slippage and squirelly-ness on the rear so I'm thinking of going to either PP 2ct's or DL Q's because of good things read on here but I'm hearing bad results from local guys about Q's. I know the PP's are a soft sidewall but the 2ct's seem to be stiffer from what I felt. only problem is the 2ct's 190/55 doesn't come here til 01/07. Any suggestions?

(Shibumi @ Dec. 03 2006,18:57)
(Charlesbusa @ Dec. 03 2006,19:57) If you are planning on dragg'in knee more than a few times, than I'd suggest tweaking on your suspension.  You WILL run into ground clearance problems if you leave it stock.  I've ohlin's internals in the front forks with a .950 kg/mm spring rate, I weigh 165lbs.  Also, I raised the rear an inch, run a 190/55 series rear tire and added some comp and reb to the stock shock.  
wink.gif
Hey Charles, I'm your exact weight, what settings do you have your suspension set on?

I'm lowered one notch on dogbones on the rear, and 3/4" up front with Pingel bushings. I've only got about 1/8" chicken strips left, I don't know if it will go any further without dragging things...  
wow.gif
Our bikes are setup too differently to compare settings.

I have .95 spring rates in the front instead of the stock .85 which raises the front a little.  This improves ground clearance and reduces the chance of bottoming out the forks.

I raised the rear an 1" and run a 190/55 series tire which also raises it higher. This increases ground clearance and improves turn in/flickability.

Plus I have ohlin's internals which means my comp and reb settings won't be similar to the stock fork internals.

(audial @ Dec. 03 2006,19:14) Not intending to thread-jack here but this is kinda related as I'm trying to get over far enough to drag a knee or two.

Charlesbusa.. which 190/55 tire are you running? Is this a street or race tire?

I have tweaked my suspension and raised the rear almost 2" when you combine the 1" dog bones and the spring preload. I'm 6'1" and I am on my tip toes at a stop, the bike rides that high now. I still have the factory rear sets but I removed the peg feelers because I was scrapping them (along with my toes) and was afraid they would upset the bike if they hung hard enough. I hope I'm up high enough to stay off the fairings and I'm actually scrubbing the edge of the tire tread where the arrows and the michelin man is but Im not sure if this is actual stickage or where it runs when the tire slips.

I'm currretly on Mich PP's but I'm experiencing slippage and squirelly-ness on the rear so I'm thinking of going to either PP 2ct's or DL Q's because of good things read on here but I'm hearing bad results from local guys about Q's. I know the PP's are a soft sidewall but the 2ct's seem to be stiffer from what I felt. only problem is the 2ct's 190/55 doesn't come here til 01/07. Any suggestions?
I'm running the conti sport attack 190/55. I'd love to run the pilot power 2ct 190/55, but they're too expensive for me right now. Maybe next set
wink.gif

I haven't tried the qualifiers, so can't comment on those.

Is your front stock, have you made any mods there??

Back