Dragged my Knee !!

PDBusa

who, me?
Donating Member
Registered
Thankfully NOT on the Busa.

So my 7 year old pal, Thomas, has been riding the wheels off of his CRF50 since he got it last year. It is time for him to learn a clutch so I took the easy way out. I was looking to install a manual clutch on the 50, and in meantime found a basically brand new 2002 Suzuki JR 80. We won the bid and off we went after no sleep and a midnight tour to pick it up.  
thumb_up.gif

On the way home we discussed a test run and Thomas reminded me that I'd need gear for it. I assured him it was just going to be down the driveway, and I'd be careful. He told me a few times on way home that I should always wear all the gear.  
umnik.gif

We got home, unloaded bike and I fired it up...wearing shorts, sneakers, T-shirt, and no lid. Flame away, I deserve it. Thomas yells "Dad, at least put your lid on" as I engage clutch and roll away down driveway.  
rulez8bn.gif

It wasn't running right and I saw the choke was on and needed to take a quick trip through gears down street to "clean it out". Boy this thing is fast... I get to end of block and start to turn to head home. The flat front and rear tires(never checked them either)rolled under and down I went on the street. A quick check for neighbors and re fire the bike to get bloody self home.  
banghead.gif

Pull back into driveway and Thomas sees my knee and arm bleeding and goes into told ya so mode. He ended his rant with "so Dad, Stupid Hurts doesn't it". Gotta give it to him. I violated every rule I have taught him, no gear, no pre-flight, and paid for it, Luckily I sacrificed my body and the bike was pretty much unscathed.
That's it. Just a reminder. ATGATT, and yes, STUPID HURTS especially the gravel removal.

JR80__6_.JPG

The dirty toys... No, no oil, just water under the 250 from bath!

JR80__13_.JPG

One thing is clear, your message is sinking in with him and for that you should be grateful! You on the other hand need some retraining.

and you guys said only i could do it on a 50

see should have learned from me at the bash

but glad your ok

Well, at least now he SEES the reason that he's been tought to wear gear no matter how far he's going to be riding.

Glad you're o.k. Darwin's rule of natural attrition was cheated, this time 'round.

lurk.gif

Glad you are OK and your "Buddy" did not witness worse. Just remember that we as parents need to lead by example and of course ALWAYS listen to what our children tell us to do.
cool.gif

Glad it wasn't worse!! I will have to remember this for the next time I think I will ride just to the end of the street and back without my gear.

Back