Drag Racing the Busa

busa'd

Registered
I tried my hand at drag racing the Busa and much to my surprise I could not get into the 9's (or 10's) I did not get off the line too well (worried about flipping backwards) I heard that you should hold your revs at about 4,000 and slowly release the clutch, is this the way? I need your help guys. Here are the stats of one of my runs, (I know these numbers are terrible)
R/T--.587
60'--2.103
1/8--7.417
MPH--103.23
1000--9.455
1/4--11.214
MPH--127.73 :mad:

I am curious on the clutch speed as well... How fast does everyone let out their clutch when they are racing...?

Cloud

busa'd
you have a great RT. But from there it's down hill. Looks like you held the clutch a little to long. When you launch the Busa you will skate the front tire along the ground the first 60 ft. What rpm's do rev up to while staging at the tree?

Stallion, I tried reving from 3000, 4000 and 5000. I guess I did let the clutch out too slow. I didn't want to stand the thing up, sounds likeI need more practice but I'm looking for more tips.

I tach mine to 5000rpms, ride the clutch long enough to get the throttle wide open. In other words, 5000...launch...easing out the clutch as I'm twisting the throttle to wide open. The goal is to have wide open throttle happen at the same time the clutch is released all the way out. How fast you do this depends on how bad you wheelie. I try to do it as fast as possible without the wheel leaving the ground more than a foot or so. Do it too slow though and burn up your clutch alot sooner than you'd like. Hope this helped. 60ft time: 1.677 8th mile time: 6.566 All stock. Lowered it since then. Having problems spinning on the other side of second gear.

Busa'd,

Not bad for your first time down the 1320' but you need to work on your 60' times! You need to get the clutch out and the gas ON as quick as possible.

My technique is to stage at 4k RPM's and then when I launch role on the gas as I come out of the hole. The RPM's are around 6-8k when the clutch is fully released. When I was all stock I was getting consistent 1.74-.80 60's launching ALL WRONG!

What I finally did was just let the clutch out until it starts to wheelie and then feather the clutch/gas as necessary to get down the track. Since then I have gotten down to consistent 1.633-.68 60's (lowered 2" in rear and strapped in front)! I still need more practice to get in the 1.5's with everything else factory STOCK.

Also when you shift, don't use the clutch lever. Hold your foot against the peg and then just bump it up (let off the gas for a millisecond) and then full throttle again. By just doing this, I picked up almost 2 tenths and 3-4 MPH at the track!

Check out my many posts in the 1/4 mile forum to see how I got in the 9's! :super:

Josh

Busa'd,

Not bad for your first time down the 1320' but you need to work on your 60' times!  You need to get the clutch out and the gas ON as quick as possible.

My technique is to stage at 4k RPM's and then when I launch role on the gas as I come out of the hole.  The RPM's are around 6-8k when the clutch is fully released.  When I was all stock I was getting consistent 1.74-.80 60's launching ALL WRONG!  

What I finally did was just let the clutch out until it starts to wheelie and then feather the clutch/gas as necessary to get down the track.  Since then I have gotten down to consistent 1.633-.68 60's (lowered 2" in rear and strapped in front)!  I still need more practice to get in the 1.5's with everything else factory STOCK.  

Also when you shift, don't use the clutch lever.  Hold your foot against the peg and then just bump it up (let off the gas for a millisecond) and then full throttle again.  By just doing this, I picked up almost 2 tenths and 3-4 MPH at the track!

Check out my many posts in the 1/4 mile forum to see how I got in the 9's! :super:

Josh  
Any tranny wear or negative impacts from shifting without the clutch? I took your post that your completely avoiding the clutch lever when shifting. Makes sense that you would be shifting faster for sure.

Cloud

I haven't noticed any diffrence yet! I do this only at the track and shift normal any other time. It's kind of weird though because I have tried it on the street and if you do it right, it actually shifts smoother than with the clutch lever!?!?! :super:

Oracle,
can you explain the wear and tear on the Busa not using the clutch and if there is any from 2nd on?

You state not to do this from 1st to 2nd, what would be the result? Just trying to understand exactly what is happening inside the Busa.

If you want your Busa to really hook w/o looping it, buy the bones for the back the strap for the front and have the clutch mod done. I hold mine at 3500 rpm, slip the clutch for a mere second and then WFO. The clutch mod eliminates the clutch chatter. I picked up the best time by lowering it though. You can lower the whole bike for about 65.00 and 35 minutes of time. The only way to launch and get a good time is get it wide open. You R/T was great but your 60' tells the story. 1.6's and less well spell sucess. By just lowering and the clutch mod should have your time in the 1/8 well under 6.80's. Seat time helps too. I know I just keep practicing and my times keep dropping....

i went a few weeks ago and had the same times you had, launched horrible, then i went back last week and just revved her up to about 5500 got the clutch out to just before the friction zone and at the third yellow light i dumped it and covered the rear brake as the wheel came up, the harder the front end came up the harder i pressed on the rear brake, i had 2 60' times one at 1.78 and the other was a 1.82 no lowering no strapping, bone stock, nothing suffered on the launch except the rear brake and those pads are cheaper and easier to replace than a clutch, anyways i was somewhat pleased with the 10.654 and the 10.782 that i ran and there is absolutely nothing done to the bike except a tank bra so i left the track early. hope this helps and good luck to ya

If your'e hitting the rear brake, you're defeating the the purpose of getting down the track the fastest. You're not replacing the clutches just the part that slips. The mod won't let it slip. I think the mod is $130.00. Best bang for the buck. To find out how to really get that Busa fast go to brock davidson enterprises, there's a link on one of the sites.

What does the clutch mod do to reliabilbity, driveability and safety?
BTW, thanks for all the good advice guys.
Hey! my emoticons don't work:D

From what I have noticed the biggest complaint about clutchless shifting from first to second is from the fact that it is a long throw with nuetral being right there in the middle. If your not hitting the shift lever hard enough you will stick your self in nuetral, lose time and get some clunking from your tranny.

What does the clutch mod do to reliabilbity, driveability and safety?
BTW, thanks for all the good advice guys.  
Hey! my emoticons don't work:D
The clutch mod won't really hurt the driveability, I actually think it makes mine perform better on the street. I will tell you though that the clutch mod will not allow the clutch to slip when you downshift, so I don't get my Rpms to high when I gear down. But it's well worth it for the track.

Back