downloaded music in home vids?

Mythos

Registered
Is it lawful to download music, sync to home video and then load back to Youtube? I mean,,,,I'm sure it's not lawful but does the average guy not seeking to profit from use get in trouble over that sort of thing?

Recently noticed an 'unauthorized use' flag on one of youtube my vids where I had some music passively recorded on the video sound......not even edited in, just passive recording along with all other sound in the air at the time I shot the footage.

I took the vid down immediately. I'd sure like to ad music to my bike vids but do I dare?

Thoughts? Experiences?

I do not have firsthand experience but from what little I know, most lawyers/artists do not take copyright infringement lightly.

Youtube scans the music on the video. If they can recognize it they will not allow the video to be posted or flag it like you found.

I get around it by using Vimeo.com. I'm not a huge poster of videos and I make sure I own the CD before I use the music. I know it's "unauthorized use" but technically if I play a CD when my friends come over, that's unauthorized as well according to their rules.

"I do not have firsthand experience but from what little I know, most lawyers/artists do not take copyright infringement lightly."

hmmmmmmmm--yeah , Metalica doesn't like unauthorized use at all and they don't care much if it is unauthorized for profit or not. If there IS profit involved you can bet an artist will be all over that. Can't blame them.

The announcement I got did not sound extremely threatening. It identified the owner of the property and said "No action required" and explained that my vid would may be used for advertising and it would become available globally. Basically, if it gets a lot of hits, it will be a valuable advertising tool. They would use my property without my authorization since that is what I did. Only thing is they reserve the right to change this policy at any time....which means they could take legal action. That's why I took the vid down. Somebody out there might have it copied already but I sure don't want to look like I did not heed the warning and cease and desist.

Thank you for the Vimeo tip, Panda. I'll look at it. Don't know if it is worth losing sleep over though.

Thanks for replies, guys.

It is their song. They are entitled to money every time it is played in public regardless of the media. Putting it on you tube is a public performance.

Copyright can be complex. As long as you remember it is not your, you have only licensed the right to play it. (not in a public setting) You can play it in you home for a group of friends but not at your restaurant.

It's illegal to speed also. Everybody does it, not everyone gets a ticket for doing so but the one who does ain't happy about it. I don't think the FBI will come knocking on your door but you still don't want to piss anyone off.

Back