Down shifting without clutch

SANDFLEA85

Registered
Does anybody regularly downshift without using the clutch and what kinds of problems could this potentially cause.the bike effortlessly downshifts without pulling the clutch in ,actually smoother then if I were to use the clutch,theres no grinding,no nothing seems like it is ment to do it this way.am I missing something here.any input appreciated

iv done it a few times. i upshift all the time without the clutch.
taking it back down and not hurting it would be according to the rpms you are turning, and how fast your going. i think for around town crusing you would be allright.

I usually only upshift without the clutch but have on occasion downshifted as well with no problems. I do however grab a little front brake before I do it.

I read other posts where people do it with no problem.

Don't really know what the long term effects are. I only assume if it's being done smoothly it shouldn't be causing too much damage.

(thepushercg @ Feb. 16 2007,10:43) iv done it a few times. i upshift all the time without the clutch.
taking it back down and not hurting it would be according to the rpms you are turning, and how fast your going. i think for around town crusing you would be allright.
Thanks for the feedback,I have an airshifter to upshift and now if I dont need the clutch to downshift.....damn,Im getting lazy
crazy.gif

i would definetly use the clutch everytime i shifted...mainly b/c if you have a transmission problem, suzuki WILL NOT WARRANTY it...i am going through that right now and i used my clutch...suzuki is charging me $430 just for tear down and for them to tell me that it isn't warrantied..better safe than sorry fellas....jmho...

whats up with suzuki not covering tranny??? please elaborate.

the clutch is there to use.

(adamnflorida @ Feb. 16 2007,13:09) i would definetly use the clutch everytime i shifted...mainly b/c if you have a transmission problem, suzuki WILL NOT WARRANTY it...i am going through that right now and i used my clutch...suzuki is charging me $430 just for tear down and for them to tell me that it isn't warrantied..better safe than sorry fellas....jmho...
not to be a thread jacker but give some more details on whats up with your bike, you have peaked my interest into the warranty area.

I upshift occasionally without the clutch but downshifting without it? I think would put too much unnecessary wear on the transmission.

IMO...warrantees always suk...they never wanna cover anything. I just assume fix it myself,then I dont have to worry about some dork at the dealership screwing anything up!

Only on upshifts and at the track at high rpm's/speed.

But when I downshift, I match revs by BLIPPING and it smooths out fast downshifting.

I use the clutch to stop and start out. that's about it, unless i'm changing multiple gears at a time.

match rpm's and you should be fine. If you do it with a huge difference in the rpm's you will round off or break teeth on your gears. No good there

basically what they told me at suzuki was that anything that has to do with the transmission is not covered...i looked in the manual and it does not stat that the trans is not covered..it wasn't the dealership that won't warranty it,but suzuki themselves...i told them that i wanted a suzuki rep to come down and tell me why its not covered and when they called him,he said he wasn't comming down and that it wasn't covered anyway...they didn't want to know the mileage or anything...once you tell them you are having tranny problems,its your responsiblity....trust me i was and still am pissed...when i bought the bike,they said i have a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty...i asked them if i would have bought the extended warranty,would it cover it..they said NO...go figure..

if you do not have an extra 2 grand layin around and mind bein without your bike for a couple months use the clutch its an expensive time consuming repair bent shift fork and rounded gear dogs you will end up with from what i understand it only takes one bad clutchless shift , but if you got the cash shift away !
super.gif

<-------------- Sitting on an 05 Busa with the motor out because of bent shift fork. These trannys are crap and suzuki knows it. Thats why they don't wanna cover anything. How do you like that 10,000 dollars spent and they can't even stand behind it. Whatever is this world coming to. If thats how their warranties are on bikes I sure as hell would never buy one of their cars.
rant.gif

SO IT SEEMS LIKE A PERSONAL PREFERENCE,NO WARRANTY WORRIES SINSE I BOUGHT USED AND ITS AN 02 ANYWAY SO THERE IS NO WARRENTY.IT DEFINATELY IS SMOOTHER DOWN SHIFTING WITHOUT THE CLUTCH THOUGH

(Fire95Z28 @ Feb. 16 2007,17:32) <-------------- Sitting on an 05 Busa with the motor out because of bent shift fork. These trannys are crap and suzuki knows it. Thats why they don't wanna cover anything. How do you like that 10,000 dollars spent and they can't even stand behind it. Whatever is this world coming to. If thats how their warranties are on bikes I sure as hell would never buy one of their cars.
rant.gif
Actually, I know someone at the Local Dealer... He said it's basicly because of squids. GO out, blow up the trans on a brand new bike while clutching up a wheelie... I can see why they wouldn't...

Back