DOW at 11 year High!!!!!!!

GNBRETT

Registered
Woohoo! DOW up 415 points this week and closed at 13.177:thumbsup: saweeeeet....:laugh: were due for a correction but confidence is growing.

it's been good for the last several months...i believe they are going to do everything they can to continue to artificially push it up through the election (can't lose a single vote or let the truth of the economy over the past few years cloud people's minds :banghead:)...after the last vote is cast, the market will return to where it should be and anyone caught in that tidal wave will regret it! just my $.02 :beerchug:

it's been good for the last several months...i believe they are going to do everything they can to continue to artificially push it up through the election (can't lose a single vote or let the truth of the economy over the past few years cloud people's minds :banghead:)...after the last vote is cast, the market will return to where it should be and anyone caught in that tidal wave will regret it! just my $.02 :beerchug:
I have been investing in the market for about 20 years now. been ups and downs but have never seen anyone be able to artifically push the economy up. how does one artifically push the economy up???? there are too many varibles for any one to push the market up. just as there are too many varibles to push the market down.

there is no denying the confidence in the market is a direct relation to the economy. they dont go hand and hand exactly but there is certainly a nexus between the two and the confidence investors have. interest rates are still low and banks are reporting that even if the housing market dips lower they are still ahead of the game.

and where exactly do u think the market should be? its exactly where most of the experts predicted it would be last year. like I said were due for a correction but we were also due for some solid gains and were now seeing them.

Fuel prices will also be going down soon due to the election.
OPEC controls over 40% of the world’s oil production and about 65% of the planets oil reserves. OPEC sets its own price for crude oil. therefore, there is no significant competition to drive gas prices down so gas prices going up and down and has very little to do with US politics. I see gas prices going VERY high this summer reguardless of what POTUS wants.

Remember folks, it's not that there is a new high, it's that your dollar is worth less....While the market has improved some, the devaluation of the dollar makes it look higher than it really is. The same buck you had 4 years ago won't buy the same today....

I have been investing in the market for about 20 years now. been ups and downs but have never seen anyone be able to artifically push the economy up. how does one artifically push the economy up???? there are too many varibles for any one to push the market up. just as there are too many varibles to push the market down.

there is no denying the confidence in the market is a direct relation to the economy. they dont go hand and hand exactly but there is certainly a nexus between the two and the confidence investors have. interest rates are still low and banks are reporting that even if the housing market dips lower they are still ahead of the game.

and where exactly do u think the market should be? its exactly where most of the experts predicted it would be last year. like I said were due for a correction but we were also due for some solid gains and were now seeing them.

i agree that no one person can control the market or force it up and down...however, when you have almost all of the "experts" predicting a certain thing is going to happen, you watch the "news" channels skip over the bad news and only dwell on the good, and they keep pounding it into the "sheeple" until they have everyone thinking it is supposed to be going up, it amazingly does so...i think this is exactly what is going on now just like it did about 5 years ago...they'll keep it up until they can get every vote possible and then it's going to spiral back down to reasonable levels...unfortunately, it will go down too far before it stops and many people will get hammered...one of the best pieces of advice i ever received was when almost everyone is saying the same thing, run the other way...it has worked very well

i'm still in right now and will stay in until things get too euphoric for me, then i'll take my profits and go sit on the sideline for a while...i never try to time the absolute top and don't mind if i miss the call by a little bit, i just try to make sure i'm out before it crashes :thumbsup:

OPEC controls over 40% of the world’s oil production and about 65% of the planets oil reserves. OPEC sets its own price for crude oil. therefore, there is no significant competition to drive gas prices down so gas prices going up and down and has very little to do with US politics. I see gas prices going VERY high this summer reguardless of what POTUS wants.

Not OPEC anymore.

It is commodity traders.

The secret group setting the price of oil: Us. - Fortune Features

Remember folks, it's not that there is a new high, it's that your dollar is worth less....While the market has improved some, the devaluation of the dollar makes it look higher than it really is. The same buck you had 4 years ago won't buy the same today....

Not true the dollar was worth less 4 years ago…and it has peaked higher in this administration than it did in the last part of the Bush administration. That said it was stronger overall during the last year of the Bush administration.

http://www.forexblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/US-Dollar-Index-2006-2011.jpg

The thing is, I don't see any economic indicators that make it look like things are improving that would drive the market up, other than a lot of money, loaned at nearly zero interest, is being brought into risky play and driving up the price. Then, when that tops out, some will get out leaving others to hold the bag when it corrects. Buy low, sell high...or stop looking at it every day and have a 10+ year view.

I feel that the DOW is no longer a good indicator of how the economy is doing. Simply look around you. Gas prices are high, unemployment is up, housing is in the toilet, the value of the dollar is an embarrassment, drive around town and see all the closed down businesses. The businesses that are still around are struggling to stay afloat and they are being hit with higher taxes. Someone please explain to me how the DOW can be thriving. It doesn't add up.

I watch the news and all they want to talk about is how Lord Obama wants me to pay for other peoples birth control and that I should be grateful and honored to vote for him.

skydivr said:
The thing is, I don't see any economic indicators that make it look like things are improving that would drive the market up, other than a lot of money, loaned at nearly zero interest, is being brought into risky play and driving up the price. Then, when that tops out, some will get out leaving others to hold the bag when it corrects. Buy low, sell high...or stop looking at it every day and have a 10+ year view.

Yeah pretty much what he said. I get tired of arguing with people that think the president presses a magic button and things happen. In my view it is speculators trying to get in front of speculators who are speculating on confidence from jobs report and have money to throw around from these ridiculously low interest rates. If any of this loose money sounds familiar....Alan Greenspan.... Paul Volker rule anyone??????

it will have to stay up for a few Years, for me to even start to break even!
worst choice i ever made was dumping money into the market! :banghead:

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I often pay 2 or more times for things now-a-days and if you don't think the middle east plays politics with oil, oh well. :laugh:

it will have to stay up for a few Years, for me to even start to break even!
worst choice i ever made was dumping money into the market! :banghead:

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

The market is pure risk, no FDIC to cover your losses , but you have to have a long view. It's constantly up and down, but as long as you continue to make money you're good. Let me go check what the first wife left me :laugh:

Thhe company I work for cut 10% of the workforce last month and aome more this month. I make less now than I did 3 years ago. Seems like the cost of everything is up, maybe it's just the stuff I use the most, except the housing market. A short term blip in the market isn't an indication of anything long term.

The best investment my dad ever made was in UNIMPROVED real estate (farmland). But it requires a huge outlay, and it's not very liquid. But holds value with inflation.

Thhe company I work for cut 10% of the workforce last month and aome more this month. I make less now than I did 3 years ago. Seems like the cost of everything is up, maybe it's just the stuff I use the most, except the housing market. A short term blip in the market isn't an indication of anything long term.
the market has been going up for the last 100 years Dow Jones Industrial Average (1900 - Present Monthly) - Charting Tools - StockCharts.com

there will always be ups and downs but those who are in it for the long haul will do well if they know what they are doing and dont panic and pull out when stocks drop in value. when stocks drop the rich get richer because they continue to buy at very low prices and then cash in when it goes up as it has for a 100 years now.

short blip? Stock market average returns for the last 20 years has been 8-10% which is about the same as its been for the last 100 years so call it what you want but the numbers dont lie. a 5 year CD pays about 2%. putting ur money in the bank pays about 1%.

the only thing long term is ones discipline to continue to invest their money in the market which has proven to be the a solid investment over time.

the market has been going up for the last 100 years Dow Jones Industrial Average (1900 - Present Monthly) - Charting Tools - StockCharts.com

there will always be ups and downs but those who are in it for the long haul will do well if they know what they are doing and dont panic and pull out when stocks drop in value. when stocks drop the rich get richer because they continue to buy at very low prices and then cash in when it goes up as it has for a 100 years now.

short blip? Stock market average returns for the last 20 years has been 8-10% which is about the same as its been for the last 100 years so call it what you want but the numbers dont lie. a 5 year CD pays about 2%. putting ur money in the bank pays about 1%.

the only thing long term is ones discipline to continue to invest their money in the market which has proven to be the a solid investment over time.

You start the thread with apples then switch to oranges. The 11 year high this week is not an indication that everything's well and it won't "correct" again. The Gevernment absolutely can artificially influence the market up and down. When they release bogus data about jobs and the economy. I can say salaries have increased over the past 100 years so your best investment is to get a job, that doesn't make it true. I'm invested long term and am happy when we have these blips, I just don't read too much into them.

You start the thread with apples then switch to oranges. The 11 year high this week is not an indication that everything's well and it won't "correct" again. The Gevernment absolutely can artificially influence the market up and down. When they release bogus data about jobs and the economy. I can say salaries have increased over the past 100 years so your best investment is to get a job, that doesn't make it true. I'm invested long term and am happy when we have these blips, I just don't read too much into them.
I did turn anything into apples vs. oranges. you did. you said this was a "blip" and isnt an indication of anything long term. the market has continued to steadily go up for decades so ur so-called "Blip" is exactly what the market does when it gains ground and makes progress. sure it will go back down at some point but it will then again gain higher then it was was before the "blip" as u call it.

so its the US government thats made the market continue to go up steadily for almost a 100 years now???? the government doesnt dictate the market. the world economy dicates the market. the stock market consists of funds from around the world.

the world is now artifically influencing the market???? jobs and economy are one aspect of the stock market and there are many jobs and economys from around the world other then the US job market and economy.

I read into them heavily. when stocks fall I make it a point to buy as much as I can like many wise investors do. when they go up I sit on what I have purchased. buy low, sell high. "Blips" one way or the other as you refer to them are indications of what is going on in the WORLD market. not just here in the US.

sure the US plays a role in what happens but stating that our own government releasing inflated numbers is what causes the market to climb or fall is simply wrong.

Back