Double yellow lines: do you pass or not?

I'ts twisty here, Busa don't need much, but I've needed emergency manuvers regular with peeps on the wrong side of the double yellow here-cages. Few fatalities with hood ornaments, friends included. Not a fan. Course on straight arrows where you can see, use your own judgment, not sure about the points, I'll save mine for speed.

Where I live, if there's more than one "incident" along a given stretch of road, they remove your right to pass in perfectly safe areas. It blows; I can think of 5 straight stretches that used to be passing zones and are now no passing zones.

For "our own good" and due to the idiocy and inability of others to drive, we can no longer pass there, legally...sad...

Where I live, if there's more than one "incident" along a given stretch of road, they remove your right to pass in perfectly safe areas. It blows; I can think of 5 straight stretches that used to be passing zones and are now no passing zones.

For "our own good" and due to the idiocy and inability of others to drive, we can no longer pass there, legally...sad...

It's supposed to be for your own safety...you know since y'all can't stay outta the ditch. :whistle:

:hide: :rofl:

It's supposed to be for your own safety...you know since y'all can't stay outta the ditch. :whistle:

:hide: :rofl:

I'm not talking about *that* road ding dong...I'm talking about perfectly passable straight stretches :laugh:

You shut up now... :rulez:

Uh huh... So I guess one should be careful when downshifting on perfectly straight stretches of road, too...eh? :poke:

Just wondering - and I am not confessing to anything - how often do you see sport bikes pass when there's a double yellow (no passing) line? Obviously, the double yellow zones are designed with the vision and performance of a typical cager in mind. Since the average sport bike has capabilities far beyond the passenger auto, the double yellow zones often seem to be overly restrictive to sport bikeres - even unreasonably so.

So...do y'all pass on a double yellow or not? Hypothetically, of course!

1. Never - I always obey the passing zones
2. Rarely, but only with care, and only when I am sure it's safe
3. Whenever I get the chance
4. What yellow lines?
not at all here we call it lane sharing :whistle:

yes.. but only with a group that is riding the twisties..and its ALWAYS on a straight visible stretch.. NEVER around a corner or somewhere dangerous. Also, I pull the clutch in while passing amish:laugh:

i always pull the clutch in when passing them also.. i have a respect for them dont want the accidental horse rearing that kills someone and i get blamed for manslaughter due to my bike spooking the horse (yes truth is stranger than fiction!!)

too bad this thread wasn't made a poll.

in ontario, canada, it's actually technically not illegal to pass on a double yellow. but be prepared to have the book thrown at you if you ever cause an accident doing so.

I only pass on a double yellow when it's safe, that is, only when I'm on the busa, as it's the only vehicle i've ever operated that had the acceleration and agility to do so safely.:cheerleader:

Down here in flat, straight Florida, the double yellow usually signals some type of issue, whether it's hidden drives, curves, reduced speed zone, etc..., so I usually don't pass. Unfamiliar roads, never. I'm just not in a hurry to get from point A to point B.

Not worth the ticket. If I want to ride fast, I have roads that are striaght and have little to no traffic on them. Tickets in Flotida are EXPENSIVE.

No line laws here in VT, those double yellows mean nothing.

Pass anywhere, anytime......:thumbsup:

I've GOTTA visit Vermont!!

CW

BTW, I intended to make this thread a poll, but screwed it up when a really nice looking young lady came into my office, and unthinkly, I hit "ENTER" when I shouldn't have...maybe a Freudian slip??

I thought double yellow ment you should pass at double the speed. :laugh:

I've done it and got caught. Wasn't try'n to set any LSR just got caught behind a slow cager. I can now tell you its not worth it. In N.C. it's 4 points against your license. I had it over turned thank God. If you can wait, WAIT!

Seen idiots do it and almost get taken out, but I will hold my line till i get the opportunity, then bye-bye

I've done it and got caught. Wasn't try'n to set any LSR just got caught behind a slow cager. I can now tell you its not worth it. In N.C. it's 4 points against your license. I had it over turned thank God. If you can wait, WAIT!

6 points in Indiana with a CDL license :banghead:

Back