Don't use synthetic, it's a waste of money!

Vonderbach

Your AD here!
Donating Member
Registered
So I went to the dealer today to get some Amsoil and filters for the bikes. I ask for the Amsoil and the guy asks me if I've been running syn. already. I tell him no, this will be the first time. He tells me how their shop uses nothing but regular fossil oil and that they don't recommend synthetic. I went ahead and bought regular fossil oil on his suggestion, since I know I can change next time should you guys convince me otherwise.

But two thoughts occurred to me after this happened.

1. Why down-sell Amsoil unless you have a real belief that it's a waste.

2. No shop would spend the extra money to use syn. during repairs.

Conflicted is the word of the day.

Debate in.....3....2....1..Let's get it on!

Unfortunately, shop peeps have been proven to be a bit lacking in the motorcycle advice department...

If you are changing your oil by the book (every 3000 to 3500 miles) then there is a justifiable argument that synthetic is not necessary. This is true until you factor in that synthetic oil will most probably improve your gas mileage, make the bike shift much smoother, and make the bike run a bit cooler. Outside of protecting the engine better, the choice between conventional and synthetic oil is all up to you; to each his own.

I'll be switchin' to full syn on my next earl change...

D

So I went to the dealer today to get some Amsoil and filters for the bikes. I ask for the Amsoil and the guy asks me if I've been running syn. already. I tell him no, this will be the first time. He tells me how their shop uses nothing but regular fossil oil and that they don't recommend synthetic. I went ahead and bought regular fossil oil on his suggestion, since I know I can change next time should you guys convince me otherwise.

But two thoughts occurred to me after this happened.

1. Why down-sell Amsoil unless you have a real belief that it's a waste.

2. No shop would spend the extra money to use syn. during repairs.

Conflicted is the word of the day.

Debate in.....3....2....1..Let's get it on!
I ran synthetic on my 05 and after 20K miles, no valve adjustment needed.....

oh boy. well no expert but one thing that I think would be universal. both dino and synthetic will get dirty at the same rate. the kind of oil doesn't change this but there is no argument of any worth but that synthetic is truly superior to dino in overal protection to the engine. I don't think there is any doubt. now as far as brand, well im not gonna even get into that part. synthetic protects better than dino bottom line...imo

do you really need it though? well who knows but I would use it.

syn.oil even makes the shifting smoother.ever think the counter person is a moron?:poke:

Not this again. Use the search button.

Momma always said "if you don't have something nice to say.........."

Guys, I know the debate is a thing of legend. It was the fact that my dealer was down-selling me based on his shop's preferences. I figured that if anyone would run syn., it would be the guys that work on them.

But to their credit, he did say that keeping it changed often was the best solution. One can assume that changing synthetic often would be that much better.....and that much more expensive. ???

The only mechanic I trust to work on my bike builds his own race bikes. He's won several endurance races on hand built bikes (frames and modified engines). He only runs Spectro Platinum in his bikes. If it can handle his abuse, it can handle the Busa's abuse. The shifting has been much smoother since switching too.

I may be a moron but I too, think synthetic oil is a waste of money unless you are racing. I have used nothing but suzuki dino oil in every bike I've owned and it works splended. Not even a burp from the engines performance. I do change the oil before every track day but we do that with our race bikes with synthetic.

We do use synthetic in all our race bikes because when you are demanding every ounce an engine can put out, the synthetic does run a tad cooler and it does create maybe one shetland pony not a horse power?

So for street machines, I would agree with the moron behind the counter, synthetic is a waste of money. Just my simple opinion which means absolutely nothing to anyone other than me! :cheerleader:

I may be a moron but I too, think synthetic oil is a waste of money unless you are racing. I have used nothing but suzuki dino oil in every bike I've owned and it works splended. Not even a burp from the engines performance. I do change the oil before every track day but we do that with our race bikes with synthetic.

We do use synthetic in all our race bikes because when you are demanding every ounce an engine can put out, the synthetic does run a tad cooler and it does create maybe one shetland pony not a horse power?

So for street machines, I would agree with the moron behind the counter, synthetic is a waste of money. Just my simple opinion which means absolutely nothing to anyone other than me! :cheerleader:

Means something to me too.
I use dino oil and change it often, (2K), Better to change it more often than have synthetic IMO. Cost about the same, but my oil is cleaner due to the frequency.
Hey Tuff we agree again! :thumbsup:

Hot damn Mikey, that calls for a celebration!

You buyin the beer? :beerchug:

I say run whatever you like. Dino oil is just fine for a street bike. I run synthetic because the bike runs cooler and shifts smoother. Maybe it's not worth the extra $$$, but I'm sticking with it. Just my 2cents

You can run dino and change it every 3 to 4, or you can run synth and leave it in longer. That's the bottom line. Synthetic will lubricate better longer because it won't break down as quickly. That's about the only quantifiable difference between the two. A lot of people say it's "smoother" or "tighter" with synthetic but the internet is also full of mental giants who's "butt dyno" says they picked up 30 rwhp by putting a cone filter on a sedan with a 4 cylinder in it.

I switched to syn. at 3000 miles and the only noticable difference is that the trans. does seem to shift a little slicker. Cooler,NO. More HP., Don't know, I can't use what it had from the factory. I'll still change mine at 4000 miles anyway. Kinda wish I hadn't went to syn. now but I did. I'll bet what ever you put in it, you won't have an oil related problem. That's my story and I'm sticken to it.

The synthetic (at least mobile 1) has much better cleaning agents. It will keep the engine much cleaner. If you run mobile 1 after running dino oil it will be dirtier when you drain it. Because it's not as good? No. Because it's better and it cleaned up all the crap the dino oil left behind. As for why your shop guy didn't recommend it? Probably because they weren't making as much off the amsoil. Either that or he just doesn't know enough about it to know the real difference. Enjoy your debate guys, this is the only imput I'm adding to this 10 millionth oil thread.

Back