Don't cheap out on an oil filter....

GsxrBots

Motorboatin' Moonpies, Gangnam Style
Registered
So a few weekends ago I changed the oil on the Busa.. I normally run a K&N oil filter or an AMSOIL filter however when I changed the oil I didn't have access to either so I went to the local BMW dealership and they sold me a "BikeMaster" branded oil filter... I went for a "test" ride earlier last week and all was well..

Friday it was gorgeous here in the fine state of Wisconsin, so I decided to leave work at noon and go for a ride...

To start out my ride, I dropped my Arai onto the ground. Not a square inch of the helmet doesn't currently have a scratch on it now... :banghead:

Leave the house, smell oil. Think nothing of it since there is a quickie lube place near my house.

Make my first real corner and the rear end decides to hop out on me. Pretty severely. :please: I write it off as oil on the road and/or cold tires...

I get the bike up to about 50mph and ride for a few miles. Next to me there is a semi-truck honking his horn at me.. Ok, he likes my ride, right? :laugh: Nope :banghead: he says there's a ton of smoke coming from her... :down:

I pull over (mind you I'm less than a mile from getting on the freeway on my favorite cloverleaf on ramp in the whole state) and the rear tire is COMPLETELY soaked in oil. There is a stream of oil following me to where I stopped... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I call a buddy of mine to head to my house and grab my trailer.. Load it up, and head home..

Upon inspection there was a "cut" in the oil filter gasket. Must have held on for as long as it could and then just puked the oil out.. :down:

A few good things come from this:
1. I'm VERY happy for the truck driver that stopped me before my day got much, much worse.
2. I'm getting very proficient at taking the fairings off. :laugh:
3. There was at least 2 quarts of oil left when I drained it so no worries about the Busa..

I put on about 300 miles Saturday and had ZERO issues, so all is well in Busa land again.. Just thought I'd share..

Nothing but Suzuki oil filters from here on out for me.. :whistle:

photo 1.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 4.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 5.jpg

photo 1.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 4.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 5.jpg

Lucky dog!! Glad it was an easy fix....How's the tire after soaking up that oil?

I cleaned it with brake cleaner, then Dawn dish soap, then Simple Green, then hit it with sandpaper :laugh:

Seemed to be just fine afterwards. :please:

Wow you were lucky that truck driver gave you the heads up. I always buy K&N so far so good :whistle:

I saw your post on Facebook the other day, but couldn't get enough signal to reply from Robbinsville. I'm really glad that didn't end in a bad way for you. The only oil filter I've ever used is K&N, and I've never had an issue with them.

Lesson 4 all here. Also,anything can come out of any factory damaged. I once had to install a shower diverter 3 times for a buddy. His nagging wife insisted on this paticular brand,every one was fugged write outa the box. (No inner hole drilled in one spot,so,no water):banghead:

Finally I got the beotch to pick another brand.

With todays manufacturing processes,I wouldn't stick a piece of gum in my mouth without a through inspection. :laugh:

Glad yer OK dude. On my 2000 Busa,the arse end came right around to a point where I could see the hump. 1 yr old fuel line split wide open. ???

RSD.

glad that didn't end up where it could have and it was an easy fix! :beerchug:

Are "Bikemaster" filters a substandard aftermarket brand, or did you just get a defective one?

Well it was only $6... :banghead:

I contacted them by their facebook page and they want me to send the filter to them. So maybe they actually care. :laugh:

your a lucky man, good thing that tire didnt decded to wash out from under ya, glad you got her fixed though, and thanks for reminding us to check the oil filter seals as well.

I saw your post on Facebook the other day, but couldn't get enough signal to reply from Robbinsville. I'm really glad that didn't end in a bad way for you. The only oil filter I've ever used is K&N, and I've never had an issue with them.

You didn't get the memo did ya :rofl:

I've always ran Zuki filters, never had an issue, but I've only logged 76K miles and I ride pretty easy :whistle:

I think half of my last 800 miles were in second gear, just easy through the mountains of one of these states Ga, SC, NC, TN :laugh:

Thanks for the wake up call on filter / gasket inspection.

The only thing that bothers me about K & N is the local Cycle Gear shop wants $15 for a filter. Where do I find a supplier that doesn't require 300% + mark up on oil filters?

Back