DON'T CALL IT A COMEBACK!!!

yamahor

DEAD MAN WALKING
Donating Member
Registered
So, I've had this Virago in the shed for... oh... we'll say 2 years-ish... It busted on me, so I moved to my old 900rr I had. Well, I'm back to it, gonna try and fix it and get back to riding. Not the most fun or powerful machine out there, but it's got 2 wheels.

I'm hoping all I gotta do is fix the starter (dang grinding noise) and fix some wires that possibly went bad with the coils. If those wires didn't go bad, I have a bigger, more expensive problem I don't wanna deal with. So, anyway, as per board rules, here's da pics!

virago3.jpg

(BA BUSA @ Aug. 28 2007,00:16) Nice pics
crazy.gif
do they sell cameras in that hick town of yours
rock.gif
Making fun of my camera phone... Why I oughta!

And to answer your question, no, they don't sell cameras in my hick town. Closest place is Wal-Hell.. I mean Wal-Mart 10 miles away.

(BA BUSA @ Aug. 27 2007,21:16) Nice pics
crazy.gif
do they sell cameras in that hick town of yours
rock.gif
laugh.gif
Dayum, that was a low blow.
Don't worry Ben, as long as your knees are in the breeze playa, thats what matters.
race.gif

super.gif

(yamahor @ Aug. 27 2007,23:52) I'm hoping all I gotta do is fix the starter (dang grinding noise) and fix some wires that possibly went bad with the coils. If those wires didn't go bad, I have a bigger, more expensive problem I don't wanna deal with.
I had an 86 Virago with the grinding noise. It turned out that a few shims was the fix, its a common problem. Lots of info on it online.

There may be a few shims new in bag. If I find 'em and your interested, you can have them for cheap...

Had a Virago for a while. They were a hot bike during it's time. But riding is riding so enjoy it when you get it running again.

I for one will support you, and your camera phone.
super.gif

Along with the shims fix, the virago also had a problem with the gear on the starter not kicking out properly.  The spring was not strong enough.

Good news is those motors run forever.  There is lots of info out there on how to fix the starter problems.

Hope you get her running.  Good luck
tounge.gif

Good job Ben. No more than I have gotten to ride mine in the last month I oughta just send the damn thing to ya.

Don

(whitele @ Aug. 28 2007,06:53)
(yamahor @ Aug. 27 2007,23:52) I'm hoping all I gotta do is fix the starter (dang grinding noise) and fix some wires that possibly went bad with the coils. If those wires didn't go bad, I have a bigger, more expensive problem I don't wanna deal with.
I had an 86 Virago with the grinding noise. It turned out that  a few shims was the fix, its a common problem. Lots of info on it online.

There may be a few shims new in bag. If I find 'em and your interested, you can have them for cheap...
I'm gonna try the JB Weld fix on it. I was reading from one guy, said he's done it to countless viragos, never had a problem. Cheap, easy, simple, reliable. Can't beat it. I'm hoping the firing problem I'm having is just a bad fuse...

Back