Doing you own repairs

Htown Busa

Registered
Just curious, for the guys or gals that do their own repairs, are the skills something you picked up on your own through trial and error or are most of you trained mechanics. I can do the simple stuff like an oil change or clean and lube a chain but I fear taking off a tire, ore replacing fork seals, etc. Maybe it is just because I haven't done it before.

I learn from watching and trial and error :laugh:
The only two things I would not touch are the engine internals and ecu. Just because I have never had to do anything to them... yet...
Everything else is fair game. :beerchug:

I learn from watching and trial and error :laugh:
The only two things I would not touch are the engine internals and ecu. Just because I have never had to do anything to them... yet...
Everything else is fair game. :beerchug:

Same. It's also good to be the gopher to friends that do it for a living!
I'm damn good at sweeping up the shop and getting lunch!
My "free apprenticeship" has more than paid for itself in repair and maintenance $!
There is a great satisfaction in doing your own service and repair.

Having the service manual helps a lot as well. Trial and error my friend.

I worked on cars since I was 12/13 years old starting with trial and error. Then went to voc school for it and through the years I have worked on bikes , boats, cars , trucks ext. It is mostly trial and error un less you got to one of them motorcycle schools or something. The main thing is are you mech inclined!

My intial training was righty tighty lefty loosy that has gotten me pretty far down the road with trial and error and some help from friends. I managed to get a tranny done that way back in the 90s.

Sadly, some of my past experience with professional mechanics has been less than desireable. I`m going to give this new shop a chance, and hope I did not waste my money on the extended service plan.
Like others said, it`s not that dificult to work on them with a good shop manual.

Following directions goes along way. Taking tires off and fork seals ate pretty simple if you follow directions.
Posted via Mobile Device

If you have decent mechanical apptitude, get a service manual and put some money into tools. It is an investment getting started but will pay for itself in the long run.

Trial and error all day. If you take it apart, you can put it together. Just go in reverse of what you did. Put nuts, washers, and bolts in a ziplock and label them and your in the game. Best money you spend will be on the parts, not the money you spend for someone else's "labor"

Trial and error bro........after I first started wrenching I just got more brave(plus cheap) and kept going further and further.

Now I build my own race bikes, motors or whatever I can get my hands on.

Building/working on bikes gives me inner peace!!:thumbsup:

I do mine unless it's covered by warranty or recall. Always nervous as a ho in church before I do something, but haven't failed yet.

I'm late to the game... Trial and error, along with being brave enough to realize the bike "may" not run as it did before jacking around with it, "possible" broken parts, a "necessity" to buy new tools (yay!), and being the friend your buddies ask for help when they want to do something.

Doing something on BB first, then being able to help a buddy with the same thing has been invaluable. Takes less time too! All but one buddy had their clutch and brake fluid changed, coolant and motor oil changed, and miscellaneous items done. Something that should take 2 hours usually takes me twice as long, because I usually need something from the apartment (wrenching in a parking garage sucks), a new tool, parts...

I work in the juvenile justice system and youth always ask me on Monday's/Tuesday's why my hands look dirty. I sometimes say, "Do you see any pictures of a wife and kids in this office? Nope, just motorcycles. Guess where my hands became dirty."

Question: Does anyone owning a Busa ever "finish" tinkering? I never remember doing all the additions and modding to my GSXR 600, SV650, or Interceptor VF700F. I loved that darn SV to death and put a big chunk of cheese into full fairings, a sargent seat, and exhaust (before being abruptly stolen 3 days after installing the seat and exhaust). Am I digging myself into madness always having a "project" for BB?

I picked up the Clymer Manual and did all the repairs would pretty much try fixing anything except the internal motor, only because when the internals go I will get a Gen 2 upgrade for it :laugh:

I was spooked too, but the more I've done it the more I enjoy it. Oil/wheels off for tire change/brake pad change is something most everyone with the proper tools will find enjoyment in.

Back