Doing the 600 mile service myself...a couple questions

III

Registered
I'm supposed to have my 600 mile service done at the dealership today (after having made the appt. 3 weeks ago), and since then have decided I'd cancel it and do it myself after doing quite a bit of reading on here. I was only taking it in to the dealership because I was unclear on the warranty guidelines, but have since learned that you can do all of your own maintenance as long as everything is well documented. The entire maintenance and lubrication section of the manual seems to clearly identify what needs to be done, but I want to make sure that I cover all the bases. Is there anything that I'm missing or something that others already know to pay specific attention to? I did all of the maintenance on my previous 2 bikes (93 Katana 600 and 01 GSXR 750), so I have all of the tools and familiar with getting inside the fairings. I also already dumped the oil at 300 miles.

- Oil change/filter/washer
- Check fluid levels
- Clean/oil and check chain tension and wheel balance
- Throttle play
- Check all major bolts (torque points, I'm thinking)
- Tire pressure

Thanks in advance fellas.

Looks like you've got things covered. Save receipts for the oil & filter and yeah, just document it all...

Have fun! I love tearing my Busa apart :thumbsup:

"The entire maintenance and lubrication section of the manual seems to clearly identify what needs to be done"

I know...I'm just paranoid, that's all. :down:

I was too, and believe me, the little issues I've had with trying to get things looked at/covered while under the factory warranty and through a dealer I didn't buy from were disheartening at best.

I finally told myself I'd rather do the work and KNOW what's being done and hope nothing major goes wrong so I never have to battle for work while under warranty. My Busa is nearly 7 years old and has been a great and dependable motorcycle... :thumbsup:

Check the neck bearing make sure its tight mine was loose while break in

This was kinda what I was getting at. After I dumped the oil, I started riding a lot harder. Just before the front wheel will come up, it feels like its pretty loose around the neck or tree. I wasn't sure of the exact location or part name, but this is exactly what I was looking for. When I do a search for "neck bearing" in the manual, I get no hits. Would you mine elaborating a little more with some specifics like maybe torque specs, etc?

Thanks!

"Steering stem bearings"
58ft-lbs for the silver lower (top)"Steering stem lock nut", under the handlebar holder above the upper triple. It's a set, the top one is there to lock the bottom. The bottom one is tightened to adjust the steering input required.
65ft-lbs for the gold "Steering stem head nut", above the handlebar holder (the one you can easily see).
Steering input should be between 200-500grams of force.

It's all in the shop manual. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
"Steering stem bearings"
58ft-lbs for the silver lower (top)"Steering stem lock nut", under the handlebar holder above the upper triple. It's a set, the top one is there to lock the bottom. The bottom one is tightened to adjust the steering input required.
65ft-lbs for the gold "Steering stem head nut", above the handlebar holder (the one you can easily see).
Steering input should be between 200-500grams of force.

It's all in the shop manual. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the direction. I'm able to find it now. You guys are awesome.

Back