Does your kitchen sponge wind up smelling moldy and nasty ?

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
Heres your random kitchen tip of the day. Not sure if any of you do this.

Does your kitchen scrubber or sponge or whatever you use to hand wash dishes at home wind up stinky and smelly before it wears out ?
If so do this.

Take a microwave safe container and fill it 3/4 full of water.
Put 2-3 drops of dishwashing detergent in there add sponge and nuke it for 4-5 minutes.
Too much soap and too much time and you will have too much bubbles so be carfeul.
The combination of super hot water and the microwaves will kill any and all bacteria. The bacteria is what makes it smell bad. Also it sterilizes it so you arent smearing germs around on your dishes .
Take it out carefully as it will be very hot..duh..rinse it with cold water and viola new fresh clean smelling sponge you can use again and again till it wears out...:thumbsup:

There you go Takeuon, your tip of the day...:beerchug:

Here is an easier way. Put the sponge in a shallow dish, add water to cover, pour in a capful of bleach and let it sit for an hour, done.

Throw it away and get a new one:)

Obv your still single and not counting every dollar ?
Maybe..???

Aussiekeeper yes that works also but I have found the microwave method keeps the smell away longer.

Just me but both work.
My wife was like PocketRocket...

Oooh smells bad throw it away and open a new one.
I'm like hold on a min. Thing still looks new.
I nuke it and here you go.

Heres your random kitchen tip of the day. Not sure if any of you do this.

Does your kitchen scrubber or sponge or whatever you use to hand wash dishes at home wind up stinky and smelly before it wears out ?
If so do this.

Take a microwave safe container and fill it 3/4 full of water.
Put 2-3 drops of dishwashing detergent in there add sponge and nuke it for 4-5 minutes.
Too much soap and too much time and you will have too much bubbles so be carfeul.
The combination of super hot water and the microwaves will kill any and all bacteria. The bacteria is what makes it smell bad. Also it sterilizes it so you arent smearing germs around on your dishes .
Take it out carefully as it will be very hot..duh..rinse it with cold water and viola new fresh clean smelling sponge you can use again and again till it wears out...:thumbsup:

There you go Takeuon, your tip of the day...:beerchug:

Haha....good tip. I'm not sure you need to even add the soap though. As I read this was a good thing to do w/ your toothbrush every so often (minus the soap).
Personally I relace my sink sponge just about every month.

Another good tip similar in nature is:

If you have young kids and they have a stuffed animal or some kind of toy that they are constantly attached to, but is not machine washable....just put it in a gallon zip-lock bag and stick it in the frezzer for 48hrs. Bye bye to all nasty bacteria :thumbsup:

H2O and a nuker are free...:laugh:

I'm cheap and spent all my money shipping 'Mojo' to Canada for some Knuck...:bowdown:

And by the way Montreal got lucky last night...:poke:
(great game though)

Don't follow hockey..... :whistle:

Spent all your money? I thought you were super "Haliberton style rich" selling 10,000.00 toilet seats to the Pentagon..... :poke: :bowdown:

cheers
ken

I just add the soap so it comes out smelling like it.
Nice and fresh..

Good tip on the stuffed animals...

I did not know that...:laugh:

Don't follow hockey..... :whistle:

Spent all your money? I thought you were super "Haliberton style rich" selling 10,000.00 toilet seats to the Pentagon..... :poke: :bowdown:

cheers
ken

OMG Ken If you only knew...

Lets take a look at one contract.
100k worth of tools from Grainger to Al Udeid AB in Qatar.
Award was for 97K. Cost of goods was 81k.
Interest on short term loan was 3%.
Shipping was 9k..
Ok so now I have 4570 left.
Items get there and no duty exemption letter is issued to ACT for goods bound for US base.
The Qataris want 5% to clear and deliver..
This is first time in over ten yrs a US base has not issued me a letter of exemption..
So whats 5% of declared value of 81k ?
$4050 bucks.
So in the end after aprox 90 days I cleared $520 ....:cheerleader:
:banghead:

Not halliburton and I dont get 90 bucks for a case of coke !

The bleach is a good tip but a cap full it's a lot of bleach I would say a couple of drops of bleach i'ts perfect I do that my self I think that the type of dish soap makes all the difference we buy smart & final lemon dish liquid detergent it comes in a gallon it last forever never had any smelly problems with that!

good luck gentleman!

good suggestions... bleach...99cents a gallon here...capfull cant cost that much

Uhm..if 3-4 dish sponges a month can't be afforded, then i believe someone is living Waaay beyond their means. At the least, one of the "kiddies" got one too many useless Christmas presents last year.

Back