Does you 186 mph limiter really limit you?

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
Not saying that anyone is fast, or anyone is slow (still very fast :laugh:).

Also not saying that these bikes are Busa's or 14's.

What I am saying is that the last couple mph (official speed) on a production bike might be a bit harder to accomplish than what you might think.

I was browsing through the production class records and came across this.

Just a thought...if you scroll further down the page the records seem to be about the same for the larger engine classes.

1.Ohio Mile Production Motor Cycle Records | ECTA-LSR <<< link

1350 CC Records
7625 P/P-1350/4 Hass – Sefafini Racing Thomas Cronan Sep-12 184.222
2662 P/PP-1350/4 Breed MC Race Team Jim Miller Sep-12 139.915
169 P/PT-1350/4 MyLawyerTom.com Racing Tom Schaefer Jun-12 177.260

PS: I did notice a 1000 seems to have hit quite a bit higher speed. Keep in mind the bike only needs to appear to be as it did new to meet the rule requirements. You can change/modify internals.

On my completely stock '06 183 something was the best I could accomplish. Weighed about 235 back then.

hit the limiter but the speedos are so far off and I didn't have a GPS with me then to see actual speed

I'll probably never go more than 186 MPH on the street. (Really)
The idea that some politician can sit in his office and decide that my bike shouldn't be able to go faster than that just rubs me the wrong way.
I had all the limiters removed by Dan at MPS Racing in Casselberry, FL.
It really waked up all the performance not just the top end, definitely worth it.

Very hard to do in a standing mile, you know that.
Most all late model 1000's, Busa, ZX14, are capable of more than 186 derestricted, with another quarter to half mile or so to get there.
Assuming perfect conditions and not too large a rider.
At 180, 186, 190, 193...your odds are about the same in a crash, so lets get every mph we can!:laugh:

Obviously none of you own white bikes because it hindered me every time I rode until I had it removed.

:moon:

I'm 6'6" and 225 with gear. all I could get out of my completely stock 08 was 182 on the GPS. that was on a slight down hill 1.5 mile straight. I also hit the start of the straight at 80.

I'm 6'6" and 225 with gear. all I could get out of my completely stock 08 was 182 on the GPS. that was on a slight down hill 1.5 mile straight. I also hit the start of the straight at 80.

You don't sound very aerodynamic:laugh:

I doubt most will ever see 186 on the dash let alone have the nerve to exceed it however the common mentality is "better to have than have not".......... So to avoid the embarrassment of being a have not gimme all I can get cause you never know what might blow past you on the highway :laugh:

Its about the only hope I have of catching a zx14 that is restricted sighs... hope suzuki comes up with some power rather then putting time in school bus paint themes.

Hey lankey there's still hope............ Slap a stage 1 on that school bus and give em hell!!! :laugh:

Couple different issues in this thread....

1) Some people are talking about on the street or unlimited course length!

2) Some are talking 1-mile "legal racing!"

The thread starter is talking about 1-Mile so I would give my .02$ on Wilmington.

Most of the production records were broken year after year at Maxton and I personally think that most who set those records have moved onto bigger, and faster classes. With that in mind, look at the records from Maxton for 1350+ guys, the 1000cc aren't even close. If you want a production record NOW is the time to go to Wilmington and earn a hat because ALL records were reset with the move!

The other reason is that 1000 is a popular class right now with the new BMW, ZX10, etc. coming out with new bikes. It's a very competitive class and simple mods have everyone within a few MPH of each other.

As for the 1350cc class, anyone that has a stock or even lightly modded BUSA setup correctly and can run anything 200+ will earn a record at Wilimington! Now is the time, get out and DO IT PEOPLE and earn your spot in the record books... :thumbsup:

Not that it matters but personally, I think the term "production" is a loose term for the classes. The bike can have every trick in the book done internally but as long as it "appears" OEM on the outside it's legal. That to me is not a production class, nothing production about it...but that's just my opinion.

Be safe, have fun, and GO FAST!!! :beerchug:

Hey lankey there's still hope............ Slap a stage 1 on that school bus and give em hell!!! :laugh:

Ha Ha Ha Ha!! As I get older I just dont care to wrench or tweak on a bike very often I prefer to do it when I want to. Ive learned over the years with motorcycles and cars once you pop the engine cover and think your smarter then the engineers that spent millions of dollars and hours of R&D to so call make it better.
That is the reason I bought the Busa back 2 yrs quickest and fastest production motorcycle and the best thing was.. OEM factory bullet proof to an extent.
Yes, I know you turbo guys can jump on your bike and ride it across country, turbos and reliabilty has come a long way! I just want to be able to throw a leg over it and gas it and go and if it blows up I say look :rulez: warranty, call me when its ready.

Very hard to do in a standing mile, you know that.
Most all late model 1000's, Busa, ZX14, are capable of more than 186 derestricted, with another quarter to half mile or so to get there.
Assuming perfect conditions and not too large a rider.
At 180, 186, 190, 193...your odds are about the same in a crash, so lets get every mph we can!:laugh:

179 is a safe crashing speed!! :rofl:

I'm a firm believer that you can prove anything with facts :whistle:

See the below Dyno run with the 186 limiter and soft cut in blue and without in Red

Restricted 290kph or 180.1mph
Unrestricted 305kph or 189.5mph

If you assume the the restricted reading should read 186mph then the unrestricted should be 195mph !!

9 mph difference with stock gearing on a Gen1, whether you ever get the road to use it is a different story.

IMG_1355_zps085888de.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back