Does riding effect my professionalism?

Cipher Complete

Registered
I am a middle school teacher in a relatively upper-middle class neighborhood. Every day I get the chance, i ride to school. I pull into the lot in a jacket, gloves, helmet, boots, and a pair of jeans, normally wearing a backpack. I then go into my office and change my clothes for the day. (I am a PE teacher, best job in the world.) I have three children under the age of two, so I don't get to go out and ride much, but riding to and from school certainly makes things more bearable. No matter how bad the day is, the bike is still there for the ride home.
This is my thrid year in this building, and my sixth in education, so i am no spring chicken in this teaching game. Something has just been rubbing me the wrong way. The majority of teachers in my building are women ranging in age from 45-55, and on a few occasions, a few of these women have made comments about my means of transportation not being "professional". I have asked these same people what is wrong with it, and they tell me a "crotch Rocket" is probably not the image I want to portray. My administration has no problem with it, and the shop teacher, the other male in the building, is a total gear head. It just seems to be the older women who have a problem. Here is my question, would you as a parent or adult have any problem with a responsible adult, who happens to ride a motorcycle teaching your kid? Does my means of transportation have anything to do with my professionalism or credibility as a teacher? Would it make a difference if it were a Harley, and not a Busa?

Sounds like thier just jealous that there husbands don't ride a busa. At least you wear your gear and ride safe. What would they say if you pulled up on a HD and no gear, tanktop and penis helmet?

What if I were one of those clowns riding a Harley in his official HD costume.-No helmet, t shirt, jeans, boots, and wallet chain. And let's not forget the do rag.

I'd explain it to them, how wearing the gear makes a big impact on the kids who would be buying sportbikes anyway.

Also explain that bikers aren't what they think, and that a motorcycle is just a form of transportation and not a symbol of debauchery.

You can also offer to hold some kind of meeting with students who are interested in sportbikes to teach them about safety, the MSF class, and responsible riding.

I had a teacher in high school who parked his CBR-RR next to mine and he had similar concerns (although noone approached him) and I always assured him that the fact he wore all his gear every day was a better example than he could ever set.

You are setting a good example for your students. These kids, who are not old enough yet to drive, but are probably thinking about it, will see you ridding responsible and wearing your gear, will hopefully look back when they are old enough and will also wear gear when they choose to ride. I work for a major carpet MFG in Product Development and ride as much as possible, as do some of the other guys in the office. There are also two women in the plant that rides to work.

You are setting a good example for your students. These kids, who are not old enough yet to drive, but are probably thinking about it, will see you ridding responsible and wearing your gear, will hopefully look back when they are old enough and will also wear gear when they choose to ride. I work for a major carpet MFG in Product Development and ride as much as possible, as do some of the other guys in the office. There are also two women in the plant that rides to work.

Give them the conservationsist routine. Your conserving fossil fuel due to the fact that your mode of transportation gets 40mpg & pollutes less than a hybrid vehicle that costs 30K. Money that will be saved from fuel costs  alone riding an efficent machine will provide your children with a quality education. In addition your vehicle takes up less room on the parking lot & on the highway. Maintenance costs are considerably lower than a 4 wheeled vehicle etc. You can go on & on. Saving fuel so there will be enough for your grand children to use etc. That should shut the old  bitty's up.

the riding won't affect your professionalism, but your wheelies, stoppies and burnouts in the parking lot after school have got to stop!

I kind of worried about the same for about 2.2 seconds when I started riding; I'm surrounded by NO ONE that rides, little local gov't job, already got enough grief about having the car I have...best thing to do is show those around you what a responsible "biker" is...

Sounds to me like it comes from a group of mostly women that are passing judgement. They don't have a clue about why you ride, and they've probably been brain washed by the media about nothing but the bad side of riding...I'd ignore 'em and if you hear comments about your riding, follow that chick around one day and note how many times she chats on a cell phone while driving, puts on make up, grades papers, or sits in the fast lane going slow
laugh.gif

I think it's cool that you work around kids; riding probably opens up a door that most teachers don't have with their students...they think you're cool, respect you...you show then how to do the same and when they get older, perhaps they'll be a responsible rider as well
cool.gif

All MC riders are hoods in the eyes of non riders, even the ones that think you are cool.

If you aren't being a squid then I can't see a problem with it. People are so ignorant.

the riding won't affect your professionalism, but your wheelies, stoppies and burnouts in the parking lot after school have got to stop!
I think about the fact that my kids are evrywhere in this freaking town, and there are 2 white busas in the city, mine, and another that is slammed and stretched. I think about the little monsters every time I whip by someone on the highway, on both wheels. It is the idiots I ride with who are hoisting the front.

Funny, I had the same issue this morning.
Had to go to another location for a meeting on my way in.
I had resigned myself to driving the cage, but changed my mind at the last minute and hoped on Buscilla.
People will think what they want, but who are they to make you feel less about yourself. You're responsible, and ride a fine machine. Much more profeesional for a teacher than a 10" piece of rubber some of them no doubt have hidden under their mattress.

Go forth proud Busa rider!

I work at a fortune 500 company with constant VP interaction. Unfortunatley perception is the law in some places, and I catch grief for being a rider (especially since i'm 26)

There is nothing that you can say or do to change some peoples mind if they are not open to the change.

I think that in your situation you could try and find out why they feel that way (probably because they dont want kids to think the hippie on the Krocket is cool
blush.gif
) and work it out.

Back