Does riding effect my professionalism?

In my personal opinion if you happen to be an MBA and are applying for a executive position i dont think its a good idea to show up for the job interview with a helmet in your hand.On the other hand if you do something more blue collar then it shouldnt matter.Lol but after you go get the job feel free to ride to work everyday on the bike.Lol it would be nice to see you park the busa in the executives exclusive parking area right now to the beemers n mercedes.

I think it is fine but I will take it one step further. I have this same problem with my significant other. I am in sales and deal with residential construction. Small builders mainly. Some large. I wanted to ride my Busa to do my route. I basically check houses and use a digital recorder on what is ready, what is coming up and so on. My wife says that it doesn't look professional either.

Ha! You're posing this question here? Talk about a biased opinion poll.

It's like the DNC calling people in NYC or LA if they would vote for Hillary Clinton in 2008 and representing those numbers as a national average, which they often do.

IMO, it's no problem and I wouldn't concern yourself with it too much.

Who cares what they think
rock.gif
Do the best job you can do and move on
wink.gif

Hey if they keep up the negative comments just tell them its harrasment and you will file a harrasment report.  They would do the same to you if you kept telling them their car is not professional.  Sometimes legal action is the only way to quite certain cliques.  

Teachers in our area are very cliquey.  I live next door to a principal and go to their partys, talk about caddy they are the worst I have ever seen.  I just listen and laugh.

<!--EDIT|forceofnature
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156854989 -->

I've been a street cop for 10 years, and have ridden sport bikes far longer than that. I get my fair share of responsibility lectures, set a good example, blah blah blah from a select few of my superiors, but most of my coworkers and friends just think it's cool that I enjoy a hobby like this one despite the often-negative stereotypes that bikers get from cops.

I usually don't tell people what I do unless they ask me directly or see me in uniform, because most people, especially bikers, tend to have a negative stereotype of cops, and it gets in the way of the feeble minded.

Am I any less professional as a police officer simply becuase I enjoy triple digit, knee on the ground twisties? I don't think so at all. If anything, my passion for sportbikes makes me MORE of a person...not less.

Tell them you would love to dye your hair blue, and drive a gas guzzling Cadillac at 45mph in the fast lane, and complain about coworkers that give a positive roll model to kids by riding environmentally friendly vehicles, safely, while celebrating individuality, but they beat you to it.

No wonder our public schools suck. The teachers are more worried about what coworkers are driving and debating over teaching creationism in school that they have forgotten what they are there to do. Teach our children. *sigh*

tounge.gif

I've been a street cop for 10 years, and have ridden sport bikes far longer than that. I get my fair share of responsibility lectures, set a good example, blah blah blah from a select few of my superiors, but most of my coworkers and friends just think it's cool that I enjoy a hobby like this one despite the often-negative stereotypes that bikers get from cops.

I usually don't tell people what I do unless they ask me directly or see me in uniform, because most people, especially bikers, tend to have a negative stereotype of cops, and it gets in the way of the feeble minded.

Am I any less professional as a police officer simply becuase I enjoy triple digit, knee on the ground twisties? I don't think so at all. If anything, my passion for sportbikes makes me MORE of a person...not less.
Most of the cops that I know ride the wildest of anybody.

for the past 5 years I conducted clinical research in the second largest burn center in the country. I also had a few projects in the trauma center. I work with fortune 500 pharmaceutical company CEO's and VP's from around the world. They all know I ride and ask how my project is coming along. Never once was my credability questioned to employers or me by anyone? They understand the importance of my work, my opinions and my perspective. The fact I ride, has nothing to do with my professional demeaner. I wear Armani when I need to and I wear Joe Rocket when I need to. The nurses I work with all ask the same question? Do you wear a helmet (Az is a no law state) and I answer; always.

Look at the demographic that has the issue; 45-55yo women who have zero exposure to what you do when you ride or why it empassions you. their exposure is watching the video clips on the 5:00 news of sportbikes running from the popo and watching some flip flop wearing moron hoist one up in mid-morning traffic.

Show the ones concerned what motorcyclists do in the community. Charity rides, toy runs, raffles for non-profit groups, christian rider org's and the amount of money bikers put back into their community. Show them the things they are not exposed to by the media.

Otherwise tell them your wife says you have a hot ass in leather and you are doing for her.
biggrin.gif
Great point! So far this year alone I have participated in

1. City Union Mission ride - benifits the homeless

2. PUTS for Muts - benifits the local amamal shelter

3. Pedatric brain tumor foundation- cancer research for children

4. Bikers for babies (ride coming up)- research for premature babies

I'm sure many of you out there have the same type of list going. I take heat too at work for riding a busa at my age (56), but you know what, if people don't like it they can kiss my grits!

Since it's a legally licensed and insured vehicle it should be none of their damn business.

Best thing to do with women in that age group is to play mind games with them. My guess is some of them smoke, tell them you don't think that smelling of stale nicotine is very professional...and if they don't smoke that's all the better as you just gave them another inferiority complex.
Or try "your hairstyle doesn't look very professional". I guarantee any one of them would lose a weeks worth of sleep from that comment alone.
Any of them FAT?

Those of us that live life are always "hated by those that don't"
So in very unprofessional terms. " Screw those old bags"

I actually would be appreciativeto have you as a teacher for my children, which they are only 10 mo and the other is 3. The fact that you are even concerened what others think is positive. Since you are riding with all orotective gear make sthe kids look up to you showing the m the right thing to do. You +1

Keep doing exactly what your doing by being to true professional that you are. Keep doing the right thing when you ride to school by wearing ALL your gear. Keep setting the example so that your students will follow when they ride. Don't let people who don't ride or don't understand what riding is all about effect you because they are affraid of what other will think of them if they did ride. I would love to have my 10yr old daughter have you as a teacher and I truly think that you are a PROFESSIONAL RIDER!! Now you should see about becoming a Motorcycle Safty Course Instructor at your school or county!

What next, no sports car, no muscle car? Maybe riding SUVs to work gives the kid an image you're not concerned with today's gas prices. Tell them to focus on educating their children, that will keep them busy all day if they spend the time
laugh.gif

what a better role model to the kids, you wear full gear and ride a sweet bike, what else do they want, maybe just once you could not wear all your gear to see what they say then, or maybe not!
tounge.gif

Hey Anti, I am a cop too. The cool thing is my Captain used to own a sportbike shop. He was soooo tempted to get on my Busa once when I drove it to work. He had the same dilemma about what the troops who think.

1.why should you care what other people think?
2.tell em youll quit ridin your bike to work when they quit ridin their high horse to work.

Back